Mao Asada plans comeback | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada plans comeback

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it's great that she's trying something new, like a 1L-3S combo. I love her combos with 3L as second jump, but she always lost points on those, so maybe it is smart to try to replace them, I would love to see 3L-1L-3S from her. She would certainly make it look good (I only like this combo from very few skaters ...). And it would be a new achievement for her.
Rach 2 is a fine program, I've no problem if she recycles it in her comeback season. Whatever she feels comfortable with. But she'll certainly have a new dress! :yes:

mary01

Final Flight
I really don't mind if Mao recycles programs if that's what make her feel comfortable because she has been working so hard on tech content, though maybe she can handle the demands of learning new choreography and working on tech content just fine. I just want her to do what makes her feel most comfortable.

If Mao is going to recycle program I would really like to see Mao skate to Swan Lake again because the jump layout is similar to Rach 2 and because she still has not had a definitive clean performance of the program in its 8 triple form, though the one at Worlds was wonderful. I also love the acrobatic step sequence with many illusion spins and twizzles and the arcing arabesque at the end similar to Rach 2. I think the program really shows off the maturity of her expression and wide range of emotions from charming and playful like the little flourish she does by kicking one skate in front of the other. to melancholy when she waves her arms down by her side and continues in a flowing motion. The program also highlights her musicality really well especially the timing of the 3F/ 2L / 2L combination. and the incredibly captivating step sequence.

If she is going to recycle her SP, I would like her to do Chopin's Ballade because she did such an incredible performance of it in Astana last year that I can watch it over and over again. the twizzles, spirals and Russian splits in this performance are simply mesmerizing and she literally breathes the mood of the music with her every move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzz7HRKDUeU

If she is going to recycle a program no matter what, then I wish it to be Fantaisie-Impromptu, I really loved that program, but I also wouldn't mind if it was swan lake either. as for the sp I too wish ballade was a competitive program, it was just perfect, I could watch it all day long.

BounceAround

On the Ice
I'm very excited about Mao's possible return to competition :hb:! The idea of Lori not having enough time to choreograph a free program for her is...disappointing to say the least. I've also noticed that Lori never sat with Mao in the Kiss and Cry like she has with some of her favorite students.

JayW

Final Flight
If she recycles LP, I'd love to see Fantaisie-Impromptu again. Or Swan Lake in a black swan costume.

Totally agree! Mao already maxed out Rach 2 at Oly., it is hard to top it even by Mao herself. However, there are still quite some rooms to improve her two wonderful 2008 programs.

Cherryy

On the Ice
Well, but the rules have changed so much that she would practically have to change half of her program. The spiral sequence no longer exists, the step sequence would probably need to be changed in order to guarantee level 4. Not sure about the spins. Plus the new jump layout is completely dfferent now than the one she had in 2008.

The only long programs she can reuse are Swan Lake and Rach 2. I think both were already performed really well. Still, seeing her compete would make me scream from happiness, so it doesn't matter for me which program she would skate to :).

Plus, I understood that she would like to reuse only the long program right? Do we know whether she wants to rework one of her exhibitions for short program or will she just choreograph a new one with somebody?

hurrah

Medalist
The only long programs she can reuse are Swan Lake and Rach 2. I think both were already performed really well. Still, seeing her compete would make me scream from happiness, so it doesn't matter for me which program she would skate to :).

Me, too. But between the two, I would prefer Swan Lake, but with a beautiful black costume and deep red lipstick!

I thinkshe is getting a new sp from Lori Nichols.

gotoschool

Medalist
Here is the link for the summary translation by rosewood of the live interview with Fuji TV done just after Mao's press conference for The Ice (post number 843). I really like Mao's witty response to the interviewer when Mao asks what kind of program he would like to see. When he tells Mao that he would like her to do a program with "a lot of smiles," she says in response, her gospel number in The Ice last year had a lot of smiles, so she had already done that.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...say-figure-skating-is-wonderful.89260/page-29

Here is the link for interview itself:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qkwll_0518-interview-24歳の決意_sport

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Posted this elsewhere, but wanted to drop it in a Mao thread too:

Little video I put together for the upcoming 3A battle we may be witnessing next season (with a happy ending for everyone, in the video at least)... ;)

2016 Preview - Mao Asada & Elizaveta Tuktamysheva triple axel
Well done! I really hope Mao feels ready after training for a few months.
She did say she needs to get back to her top form.

If I don't see them both in the same competition some time next season I'm going to be pretty sad.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
If I don't see them both in the same competition some time next season I'm going to be pretty sad.

Thanks! Yes, me too... though I fear for some stroke of bad luck we may not actually see both of them in top form next season... :no:

moriel

Record Breaker
Thanks! Yes, me too... though I fear for some stroke of bad luck we may not actually see both of them in top form next season... :no:

my fear too =(
it would be incredible epic to have them both in top form, and would push the sport forward incredibly...
just with Liza and 3A in both her SP and FS, other skaters could rely on her not competing / not being in top form / just taking one spot anyways, silver and bronze up for grabs
with both Mao (and her artistry/PCs + 3A) and Liza (her consistency + 3A), its way more pressure to up the technical content.

Imagine

Medalist
Mao skating to Melodies of Life.

I have never actually played FFIX...but this music is so befitting of Mao....it was a hard choice between the piano or vocal version.

dna5019

Final Flight
Mao skating to Melodies of Life.

I have never actually played FFIX...but this music is so befitting of Mao....it was a hard choice between the piano or vocal version.
Nobuo Uematsu has written some very beautiful music. FFIX has some of his best work in my opinion. I'd love to see Mao do a real routine to this, or anything from the series in general. :)

andromache

Record Breaker
Nobuo Uematsu has written some very beautiful music. FFIX has some of his best work in my opinion. I'd love to see Mao do a real routine to this, or anything from the series in general. :)

I'd love to see ANY skater skating to Uematsu's music. His video game scores are beautiful. Given the popularity of the games that he creates music for, especially in Japan, it's shocking that no one (at least to my knowledge) has skated to his music. I wonder if skaters are nervous about the preconceived notions that audiences/judges might have when seeing that someone is skating to music from a video game?

Anyway, I'm so beyond thrilled to hopefully see Mao next season.

yhmafan

Medalist
That's a shame if people (non-gamers) have any preconceived notions about video game music.
Because the fact that there are tons of masterpieces in the field.

As a Yuzuru fan, I know he is a hardcore fan of video games but I think he would never skate to them. Cause I guess he himself must think that the type of music is not suitable for his competition programs for some reasons (and knowing him to be really serious about his vocation.)
Also maybe the part of him kind be afraid of the preconceived notion that people would have in general even if he loves some music in anime and video games. (that just my impression though.)

For those who likes to skate to some kind of classical from horror games.
(from Silent Hill OST) https://youtu.be/6pkSSbGcaz4
(from Resident Evil OST) https://youtu.be/xp7NtRiu204?t=3m50s

I would be happy to see if Mao skates to such an impressive violin piece like this. (from Radiant Historia OST ) https://youtu.be/I82d6NBRFjA
and I recommend this for Japanese skaters. (from Okami OST) https://youtu.be/ya3yxTbkh5s