Marshall's In'l Com on 15 April. and Kimmie | Golden Skate

Marshall's In'l Com on 15 April. and Kimmie

This will be a very big test for this skater who shocked the Worlds

I am not sure of the entries. I think there will be two very seasoned skaters: Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen. I don't know of any non-american skaters who may have received an invitation. If anyone knows the lineup, I would appreciate the list. (all categories - not just Ladies). This may become a Gourmet Cheesefest if enough non americans show up. How well can Kimmie show she's THE top American skater. Will Johnny continue his reign as THE top male skater? Will Tenith and Ben regain their stature? Rena and John to continue the upswing in their skating.

Hopefull it becomes a truly international goumetfest.

It's not so important who wins but how well they skate. We don't want to see a splatfest. If everyone skates well, it just may be an auger of next season's competitions.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think these are exhibition programs they'll be doing unless I'm missing something...?

Invited skaters are

Men:

Plushenko
Lambiel
Lysacek
Weir
Savoie

Ladies:

Kwan
Slutskaya
Cohen
Meissner
Hughes

Pairs:

Inoue and Baldwun
Hinzmann and Parchem

Dance:

Belbin and Agosto

It will be a competiton, not for CoP points, but for the hearts of the audience, LOL.

MM :)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It will be a competiton, not for CoP points, but for the hearts if the audience, LOL.

And we all know who's going to win that one, don't we? Pick up that phone!!

I assume this will get dubbed an international event since Plushenko and Slutskaya are there.

These invitations have not yet been accepted, I presume, except for the americans.

The Dance team and the Pair Teams will be exhibitions, I presume.

If Plushenko does not show up they will put in Tommy Steenberger, I hope.

If Lambiel does not show up they will put in Michael Weiss.

I think this will be a prelude to COI., but nevertheless, it will be interesting to see Kimmie in comparison to the dowagers.

Joe

Oops. I should have said Totmiania and Marinin instead of Hinzmann and Parchem.

This announcement says this is the "Final List" of participants. However, it is dated March 9, so possibly there could be changes.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=33380

All of the skaters, including the men and ladies, will skate "exhibition numbers." The speculation on the other thread is that these will be a preview of what we can expect to see in COI, since this line-up is pretty much the "stars of COI."

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13029

The question that I had about Kimmie was whether they will let her do 7 triples including two 3/3s, which might show up the headliners.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
7 triples in an EXHIBITION? Why?? Unless she's really out for wowing the audience...props definitely to her if she can pull that off!

Why? Because she can! What other purpose would she have for participating in this event except to "Wow the audience?"

CDMM1991

Medalist
I think that it's safe to say Lysacek is the top American man now. As much as I love Weir, Lysacek has upstaged him at two straight worlds, and the Oylmpics. US Nationals aside, Lysacek has a sound record against him recently.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I think doing 7 triples continuously in an exhibition is just asking for later injury. JMO, though. Save the triples for competition when you really need to bust them out.

If she really wanted to be daring, why not do four. Most of the other skaters do one or two, and Cohen does none.

Red Dog said:
Well, I think doing 7 triples continuously in an exhibition is just asking for later injury. JMO, though. Save the triples for competition when you really need to bust them out.

If she really wanted to be daring, why not do four. Most of the other skaters do one or two, and Cohen does none.
Well, you're right, of course. I guess I was thinking of Michelle at the 1998 world pros (an exhibition style competition), where she came out with a six triple performance to East of Eden, just because she was Michelle Kwan.

That's the attitude I would like to see from Kimmie.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
And who knows, maybe we will get that from her. But I wouldn't kill her if she doesn't.

CDMM1991 said:
I think that it's safe to say Lysacek is the top American man now. As much as I love Weir, Lysacek has upstaged him at two straight worlds, and the Oylmpics. US Nationals aside, Lysacek has a sound record against him recently.
It will be interesting to see how it works out. Johnny needs to have all the stars aligned or he just gives up. That is the opposite of a champion's mind set. (The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, LOL)

Like I was saying about Kimmie, what Evan needs to do is come out with a couple of quads in this competition. He needs to establish the attitude, well of course I have a quad, it's part of my standard repertoire, I do it in every persormance, doesn't everyone? (Plushenko will do two in this cheesefest. Why? He's Plushenko.)

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
OK, NOW you guys have me rightly confused.

So..is this an EXHIBITION where the skaters just PERFORM, or is this a COMPETITION where the skaters are judged (or there are two "teams") on their performances? What is the format of this thingy?

As far as I can tell, it is an exhibition with no judging of any kind.

Still, I hope the skaters go out there in a competitive frame of mind. Even if there is no judge to tell you so, you still know when you outskated the other guy.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The skaters are tired, so I really doubt we'll see bursts of energy here. Sorry, but that's what reality is telling me right now. And personally a couple of them shouldn't even be there. JMO

LBC

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
OK, NOW you guys have me rightly confused.

So..is this an EXHIBITION where the skaters just PERFORM, or is this a COMPETITION where the skaters are judged (or there are two "teams") on their performances? What is the format of this thingy?

I have no idea. They don't mention judges at all. The say 2 exhibitions which sounds like a show to me. COI is in Florida on 4/9 and Virginia on 4/13. SC is on the way. If does say exhibitions so you not going to see any LP's with quads and 7 triples. Most likely the show program they are using at COI and a one they've done before.

Red Dog said:
The skaters are tired, so I really doubt we'll see bursts of energy here. Sorry, but that's what reality is telling me right now. And personally a couple of them shouldn't even be there. JMO
Michelle, for one, shouldn't be there.

But like she said when they carried her kicking and screaming up to Spokane for Skate America, 2002, when Sarah Hughes withdraw -- "I feel like Michael Corleone - just when I think I'm out, the drag me back in!"

MM

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If Plushenko does not show up they will put in Tommy Steenberger, I hope.
??? Just curious why you mention Tommy Steenberg? He placed 13th in his senior debut at 2006 US Nationals.

I don't know about Steenberg, but if Slutskaya can't make it they could get Stephanie Rosenthal! :rock: