Masterpieces that Never Came To Be | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Masterpieces that Never Came To Be

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Literally any Sasha Cohen LP.

Oh, dear... I have to agree with that though. Her Turin programs were meant to be a Champion's programs highly likely to be legendary if she would've nailed them, but she fell twice in the free.

noskates

Record Breaker
Obscure maybe, but Nancy Kerrigan's Beauty and the Beast. She only skated to it once (Skate America maybe? Can't remember) but it was disastrous. I remember her coming off the ice and asking her coach if she could skate again. I thought it was a perfect piece of music for her but as far as I know she never skated to it again.

And I would definitely agree about Sasha Cohen. Her music and her costumes were always just about perfect but her skating never lived up to it. So much promise. I was never relaxed watching her - just waiting for the inevitable.

tosca

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan's Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 18 by Sergei Rachmaninoff. How I WISH i could see this.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Patrick's 2018 Olympic programs.
Jeff Buttle's Hommage to Gould program
Nam Nguyen's (yeah.. laugh away) Bach's program : they ditched it because they felt he wasn't ready for such deep music, but for me, it was a program full of potential.
Osmond's Summertime : it was the right decision to go to last year's program but i was really enjoying it

Thanks for mentioning Jeff Buttle's Homage to Gould program, I was looking on Youtube but couldn't remember the title. Yes, I think it was brilliant

TCAngel18

Medalist
I think we veered off from the OP’s intent, but I like the way this thread is going. I’ve said a few times in the past that Michelle Kwan’s Miraculous Mandarin could have been her absolute masterpiece, but she gave up on it too quick because of bad feedback. She may have kept it if skated perfectly, but back in the days where they had those back to back Free skates in the GPF, it was probably too new of a program for her, and she was tired.

I LOVED the track she was heading on with her song selections back then. Such interesting composers and pieces. From Massenet, to Corigliano, to the Villa-Lobos/ Dvorak. Not your run of the mill warhorses. Bartok would have been the PERFECT choice for Salt Lake, but she caved under the Olympic warhorse pressure. Grrrrr.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we veered off from the OP’s intent, but I like the way this thread is going.

I would ignore my next post then :biggrin:

Has anyone ever skated to surfer music or is the beachy summer vibes too much of a contrast to dancing in the cold while wearing knifeboots? I kind of think a surfer rock medley could be an epic masterpiece though........surfs up :coffee:

Sorry to the OP for the :hijacked:

TCAngel18

Medalist
I would ignore my next post then :biggrin:

Has anyone ever skated to surfer music or is the beachy summer vibes too much of a contrast to dancing in the cold while wearing knifeboots? I kind of think a surfer rock medley could be an epic masterpiece though........surfs up :coffee:

Sorry to the OP for the :hijacked:

Well, if you find the 90’s cheesefest Too Hot to Skate, you can see a whole show of ‘em 🌚

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I thought Weaver/Poje's Humanity in Motion had a lot of potential. The program took them into a more contemporary/experimental direction. Unfortunately, it wasn't well-received by the judges early on in that season. They also missed the middle of the season as Kaitlyn recovered from fracturing her fibula. They still managed a great Top 5 finish at Worlds with a modified program. But I do enjoy the style of their original program more.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Had Sasha gone into her LP with the same confidence and verve that she had in her SP, I think Romeo and Juliet could have been a masterpiece.

Michelle's Lamento d'Ariane never peaked as high as it should have. IMO. It was a brilliant program.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say Kevin Reynolds' AC/DC SP. If he was able to land the jumps cleanly....sigh. That's one program I so badly wish was done cleanly at least once.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Does a program have to be skated perfectly to be a masterpiece? I don't think so. I consider both Dust in the Wind and Hallelujah masterpieces from Patrick Chan, and neither of them were ever skated perfectly. I think a program can be a masterpiece even if the jumps don't go well. It has more to do with the choreography and how the choreography is presented by the skater, in my mind. I think DITW and Hallelujah are masterpieces even with the jump errors. But if you're thinking in terms of masterpieces being perfectly-skated programs, you could say they "never came to be."

rlopen

On the Ice
Imagine what someone like Sasha Cohen could have done with a Spartacus SP...bah why she never did it I’m still confused to this day.