Men neglected in figure skating? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men neglected in figure skating?

Manitou

Medalist
Strongly disagree with your post.

Serena Williams and Shaun White both were already EXTREMELY popular LONG before the incidents that you cite.

And figure skating was also already popular before Tonya Harding. Or at least more popular than it is now. So this is not about Tonya Harding, it's about something else.
As to Serena, that sideline official still lives happy with the ball in her throat and is still coordinating the ball kids and other linesmen. So no harm was made... :)

How to make FS conform to current times and culture? Make it more dramatic, remove national associations, remove eligibility, make it more athletic, technically definable and less subjectively artistic. More ignorant-oriented. Right now it's too complex, too stiff, too elitist and too subjective.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Never seen Kovtun looking angry, but I have seen him looking dissappointed.

When he is on the ice ready to skate, he looks to me like he would rather not be there. And I don't like his skating style. Give me Voronov or Menshov any day.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Yeah. Had Yuzuru been American, I think the collision would make several more headlines in US.

Nah! they would make a blockbuster movie by now with additional plots of rival (Patrick), best buddy (Javi), coach (Orser....with orser reflecting his own Olympic during the Olympic scenes) and crush puppy love (yulia...just to add that US vs Russia plot in there :biggrin:).
Hero, rival, love and wise coach...ala karate kid :laugh2: Sorry I watched way too many American movies :slink:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nah! they would make a blockbuster movie by now with additional plots of rival (Patrick), best buddy (Javi), coach (Orser....with orser reflecting his own Olympic during the Olympic scenes) and crush puppy love (kana, yulia or zijun :biggrin:).
Hero, rival, love and wise coach...ala karate kid :laugh2: Sorry I watched way too many American movies :slink:
Why do I feel relieved that Yuzuru is not American...:drama:

Alex D

Record Breaker
And figure skating was also already popular before Tonya Harding. Or at least more popular than it is now. So this is not about Tonya Harding, it's about something else.
As to Serena, that sideline official still lives happy with the ball in her throat and is still coordinating the ball kids and other linesmen. So no harm was made... :)

How to make FS conform to current times and culture? Make it more dramatic, remove national associations, remove eligibility, make it more athletic, technically definable and less subjectively artistic. More ignorant-oriented. Right now it's too complex, too stiff, too elitist and too subjective.

I think you guys all missed the point in my post ;)

I was talking about more popular, a boost in the media etc. How often are skaters in TV shows these days in your country? I don't think as often as Nancy was back then ;)

I would really hate that.

In my opinion too many good programs already suffer under the athletic hype and TES, I think going back to more artistry is better. FS is still a show in some ways, people want to see someone perform to a story and not jump 10 quads in a row while landing 0 :D

I exaggerate but I think you get the point. Of course just my opinion :)

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
FS is still a show in some ways, people want to see someone perform to a story and not jump 10 quads in a row while landing 0 :D

Yes, but jumping 10 and landing 10 may drive FS to the headlines.
But I don't know. It may not have to be a solution. Just a loose thought. I don't know what is wrong. And I don't know what the best solution is. The times changed, the cultures changed, everything is faster, more competitive, more dramatic. Success must be measured in millions. If not then it's a failure. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
And Finally lets talk about the most accomplished US Figure Skater skater of this quad: Evan Lysacek, World Champion and Olympic Champ, whether you like him or not. Shouldn't he be more recognized...

I know I'm late on this one but if the majority of people aren't in love with your actual skating you may not be as recognized no matter how many medals you have. Even Johnny is more popular than Evan. It's the skating that people love. I like Evan just fine but I'm not in love with his skating. Now if Jeremy had Evan's resume with that beautiful skating I think things would have been different.

minze

Medalist
I know I'm late on this one but if the majority of people aren't in love with your actual skating you may not be as recognized no matter how many medals you have. Even Johnny is more popular than Evan. It's the skating that people love. I like Evan just fine but I'm not in love with his skating. Now if Jeremy had Evan's resume with that beautiful skating I think things would have been different.

Very valid point.

Manitou

Medalist
Figure skating must combine athleticism with showmanship and drama. That's the key to success. That's why Johnny will be always more popular than Evan. Evan is a golden skater with a boring personality, while Johnny is not as accomplished, but has his explosive, flamboyant and eccentric character. That's why he draws people to him.
The same with ladies. I loved when Adelina with her explosive youthful energy beat the predictable and boring diva. I loved when explosive Tara beat boring Michelle.
Bring interesting people with energy, people who break the ice. Skaters, who bring heat to the stiff and snotty rink audiences. People with dramas.
It is not Hanyu with his manga look, but Jason Brown and Javier Fernandez are personalities which draw audience. Exploit it. Promote showmanship, not boredom!

--

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
The same with ladies. I loved when Adelina with her explosive youthful energy beat the predictable and boring diva. I loved when explosive Tara beat boring Michelle.
Kwan was never boring. By no mean I dislike Tara or anything. But seriously I'd rather watch Kwan's over all of Tara's winning performances. And I am not Yuna's fan, but for sure I know there are people who only enjoy watching her.

It is not Hanyu with his manga look, but Jason Brown and Javier Fernandez are personalities which draw audience. Exploit it. Promote showmanship, not boredom!
I am sorry but which planet have you come from??? All the skaters you mentioned are extremely well-known, and they are pretty much loved by the fans for different reasons. I don't know how on earth you could ever say those words without a sense of reality. I don't want to be rude.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
I am sorry but which planet have you come from??? All the skaters you mentioned are extremely well-known, and they are pretty much loved by the fans for different reasons. I don't know how on earth you could ever say those words without a sense of reality.

OK, OK, maybe I was wrong about Hanyu...

--

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Figure skating must combine athleticism with showmanship and drama. That's the key to success. That's why Johnny will be always more popular than Evan. Evan is a golden skater with a boring personality, while Johnny is not as accomplished, but has his explosive, flamboyant and eccentric character. That's why he draws people to him.
Bring interesting people with energy, people who break the ice. Skaters, who bring heat to the stiff and snotty rink audiences. People with dramas.

I agree with most of this, but I think you greatly underestimate the popularity of Hanyu (and I can't think of anyone with a more dramatic story in skating right now). Also, while I prefer the dramatic ones myself, there are plenty of people who genuinely seem to prefer the opposite, so it really is a matter of taste.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty

--

Then explain Sarah Hughes winning OGM. She was boring.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Funny how the predictable and boring diva brought figure skating to an entire country, and inspired an all new generation. Funny how the boring Michelle carried US figure skating on her back for years, and was one of the highest paid athletes in the country.

It is not Hanyu with his manga look, but Jason Brown and Javier Fernandez are personalities which draw audience.
In what world are Brown and Fernandez more popular than Hanyu?

Manitou

Medalist

I didn't mention Sarah. And actually on that particular Olympic I was really happy for her. I was drawn to Sarah's youth and energy. Yes, she was jumping and jumping and that's all, but I was drawn to it. I love energy. I can't stand schmaltzy "art" and that's why Sarah was something fresh back then. But yes, I felt kind of sorry for Irina, who in my opinion really deserved the OG.

--

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The OGM winners are not the skaters who draw audiences. They *can* be, but they don't have to be (here comes my broken record again: Toller, Toller, Toller).

I agree with Manitou's point, although I also agree that Hanyu may have been not the best comparison. Most people drawn to figure skating, in my universe, are not drawn because a skater can land ten out of ten quads. They are drawn to performance, artistry, *and* the wow factor of spins and jumps. They are drawn to the entertainers, to Misha and Jason. Javi seems to be able to combine both, when he gets it together. Hanyu, when he is *on*, can be an entertainer as well. Jeremy, well, consistency is not his middle name...

I will agree however that Americans are also really impressed by wins. If Jason could actually win a gold, *that* would improve the viewership. Personally, I don't care if he ever wins a gold, or ever lands a quad, I will always prefer his skating to that of Voronov, to name a quad-meister whose program IMO seems to have no discernible relation to his music. So telling me that Jason will never podium without a quad means nothing to me. But for figure skating in general, that may help.

Last edited:
I loved when Adelina with her explosive youthful energy beat the predictable and boring diva. I loved when explosive Tara beat boring Michelle...

It is not Hanyu with his manga look, but Jason Brown and Javier Fernandez are personalities which draw audience.

This may be your preference, but in terms of attracting an audience you just named the three biggest draws in figure skating over the last twenty years. And i am not speaking of Sotnikova, Brown and Fernandez. ;)