Men - Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

Tigger

Final Flight
Rosaleen...I owe you a big, huge, gigantic thank you from me. I got to see Chris' great skate and then...then...

The power went out on me and just came back on ten minutes ago!!!

Back in time for the Pairs Free Skate, but man alive I wish I could have seen all of that live as it happened.

Way to go Jeff, Brian and Chris!!!

I noticed yesterday that CBC Country Canada replayed stuff at 4pm and it was on the guide as the Pairs SP. Guess I'll have to check it out later this afternoon and hope.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the reports, Rosaleen!!!

Some thoughts:

- I´m very glad that Lysacek tried to jump the quad combination in a big competition like Worlds! It does not have to succeed always, but one needs to get the necessary experience for the future. One has to look ahead towards the next Olympics, and Lysacek is on the right track now, in my opinion. There is no sense to try to get the quad reliable in the Olympic season, LOL. Of course he might lose the win in some competition now, but the big picture is more important.

Lysacek is normally very strong in the freeskate and is now very close to Weir and Takahashi with Buttle not being too far away...

- Takahashi did not get the PCS scores he deserved which is really strange. Joubert was held up again in those scores!!!

- WOW, Buttle´s sp was really enjoyable!!! I´m afraid though that he will drop in the freeskate.

- I liked the new Chinese skater Wu very much indeed!!!

- OMG, the Russians are on places 22 and 24, huh. Maybe they will have only one place for next year´s Worlds?

- Weir skated well and deserved the 4th place. I´m though worried for his freeskate, but hoping that his aura will not be too black this time.

- With the exception of Joubert the score differences between the skaters in e.g. top 10 list are rather close. That makes it really exciting as it´s possible that there will be lots of changes in the final results.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Joubert def deserves respect for doing a 4-3 combo in the short. His PCS remains a mystery. I think he's going to be this year's world champ.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks Rosaleen and Congrats to the top five. I can't believe Oda is in
11the place. Good luck to them all in the free skate,

enlight78

Medalist
Poor Oda. His short had been very consistant over the season. Maybe this is a good sign for his long. Mess up the short instead will allow him to capitolize on his new long. Maybe it is a yin and yang kind of thing.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yay, Johnny! Altho Rosaleen's report suggested it lacked something, I haven't had a chance to see it and I'm thrilled he opened well -- at least per his scores.

Hope the long is a joy to watch!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I expected Lambiel to miss the triple axel or atleast not try it but am dissapointed he did not even do the quad-triple. He could have been easily over 80 had he just done that, even with his fall on the triple axel, he gave up 8 points anyway turning it into a triple toe-double toe.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think the gold medal is a slam dunk at this point. The closest to Joubert is the quadless Buttle. Joubert was given the highest PCS by the judges. He is definitely on target. If he has his usual free skate or close to it he wins regardless what anybody else does.

The silver and bronze are wide open IMO. Buttle is very vurnerable to others passing him, he lost a 10 point lead to Lysacek at Four Continents.

zandor

On the Ice
:rock: Brian was absolutely amazing today! I loved the way he performed. Great performance 007!:agree:
I was a bit shocked about Takahashi performance, I thought he will get better marks that he got:cry:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
:clap: VIVA LE BRIAN JOUBERT:clap:

I am so happy that Brian skated clean and that he landed the 4t-3t, WOW it must have been beautiful to watch.

BRIAN JOUBERT for 2007 WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!:rock:

amber68

On the Ice
Well done Brian and Jeff. I hope Jeff will be able to hang on his silver medal (and I think he will!).
The programs have really regressed in terms of jumping. Brian was the only skater to execute a clean 4T-3T and it's amazing how many skaters struggled with the 3-3 combos!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think if Buttle can land all his jumps even no quad, including the 2 triple axels, he will stay in second place even if Lysacek, Takahashi, and Weir all do quads and skate perfectly. Only Lambiel has the potential to score high enough to catch him from 5-7 points behind if Buttle skates clean, but I dont think Lambiel will do even close to a clean free skate at all unfortunately.

Jasper

Final Flight
Wow, what interesting results! I haven't seen the programs yet, but how in the world did Joubert manage to get about 1 point higher PCS than Jeff with his crappy 007 program? Jeff's is so beautiful and the choreography much more intricate and complex. I'm happy that Brian was finally able to do a clean 4T-3T (firs titme this season?) and not fold under the pressure yet, but I really think Jeff should be a little closer considering Brian's hand-down.

Looks like both the Japanese men disappointed to an extent, but Takahashi still has a good chance. Oda started off the season so strong and I thought he'd be a lock for a Worlds medal, but it doesn't even look like he'll come as close as last year. I'm very happy for Mabee and Othman for PB's, and happy that Verner is still around in the pack even with the fall.

Good to see Stephane back, and I KNOW I'll love his program - I always do... but I do think 72 points is very high for a 3A fall and a 3-2... and I have NO clue what Evan was thinking trying to pull a 4 in his short? I guess he got the rotations, but it messed up his combination. He should have gone for just a clean short, since he never does those. And it would have set him up better for the LP, I think. 73 is a SP PB for him, and that's so much less than all his main competitors and what he could score if he just skated a SP cleanly, lol.

GOOOO Jeff - hit your 3-3 and 3As and hang on for silver! I've always been confident about his skating in Asia, it seems to be HIS continent outside of Canada/NA. You can do it. :))) And maybe even steal if Brian messes up? ;)

shine

Record Breaker
Falls or not, I desperately want Lambiel to keep this SP for next season (IF he is going to compete, that is). It's such an amazing program and I want it to be skated clean like it totally deserves to be!

emma

Record Breaker
Wow - I have to read through a lot of this again.

Quick first impressions - I'm thrilled for Brian landing a 4t-3t combo - awesome; I dont' get the PCS's either. I'm glad Buttle skated well - can't wait to see it.

I keep saying I'm not an Evan fan, but boy I am impressed that he stepped up and added difficulty with the quad como in the short - good for him (wish someone else who will remane unamed would just commit to that and do it in every comp too...)

I'm feeling queasy about Lambiel because I love him -
Feel surpised about Oda - hope the nerves stay under control and we see a great long
I love Takahashi - hope he can skate a great long too.
Happy Weir is in the pack - hope he skates clean and with a quad in the long.

I'm sure I already forgot someone - but once again, thanks for the pbp it really is a thrill to read them.

Jasper

Final Flight
Falls or not, I desperately want Lambiel to keep this SP for next season (IF he is going to compete, that is). It's such an amazing program and I want it to be skated clean like it totally deserves to be!

Is this the Christine Lauterburg program from Skate Canada or a new one? I actually loved that program even though the Canadian commentators I remember didn't like it. I always wanted to see him do that program cleanly. I've seen him practice bits of his LP (the footwork sequence), and I know the crowd is gonna go nuts. I hope he can just land some of his jumps. We know he's a fighter, he proved that last year, so a medal is not out of the question still.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Good to see Stephane back, and I KNOW I'll love his program - I always do... but I do think 72 points is very high for a 3A fall and a 3-2
No it isnt. A triple toe-double toe is only worth 4.2 less then a triple flip-triple toe. A fall on a triple axel only loses you 4 points. So if Lambiel had done a clean performance with same jumps as Buttle he would have only beaten him by 1 point, not out of line or unreasonable.

and I have NO clue what Evan was thinking trying to pull a 4 in his short? I guess he got the rotations, but it messed up his combination. He should have gone for just a clean short, since he never does those. And it would have set him up better for the LP, I think. 73 is a SP PB for him, and that's so much less than all his main competitors and what he could score if he just skated a SP cleanly, lol.

Lysacek isnt capable of an 80-type score without the quad in the short, even if he skated cleanly. Thus he was smart to try the quad in the short. He could not have known the field would skate as they did, there are many guys capable of scoring 80 and higher, some with quad, some without; and he is not capable of scoring even close to 80 even with a clean skate, with no quad.