Men - Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I forgot to say that it's good to see Oda in the middle where he belongs with his average skating.

I dont like Oda that much myself. He is a talented skater but I describe his skating style as "boyish". His jumps are exceptional quality when he lands them but I am not that fussy on his overall skating.

Jasper

Final Flight
No it isnt. A triple toe-double toe is only worth 4.2 less then a triple flip-triple toe. A fall on a triple axel only loses you 4 points. So if Lambiel had done a clean performance with same jumps as Buttle he would have only beaten him by 1 point, not out of line or unreasonable.

Lysacek isnt capable of an 80-type score without the quad in the short, even if he skated cleanly. Thus he was smart to try the quad in the short. He could not have known the field would skate as they did, there are many guys capable of scoring 80 and higher, some with quad, some without; and he is not capable of scoring even close to 80 even with a clean skate, with no quad.

But even the rest of Lambiel's skate was not nearly as good. He was hesitant throughout and definitely lacked speed on his last two combination spins. He and Lysacek got lucky with Mabee behind them, because Mabee was fantastic in every respect. His PCS of 31 were way too low, but that goes back to reputation and history of course.

And Oda is in no way an average skater. His speed around the ice and overall technique is fabulous. When he's on, his jumps are the best in the world besides the quad-doers. And in this competition, he is definitely the best and fastest spinner right now. He blew under the pressure, but I think he'll have a solid LP and possible still finish in the Top 5 or 6.

Germanice

On the Ice
I forgot to say that it's good to see Oda in the middle where he belongs with his average skating.
Considering your username I'd be ... uhm ... a little bit more ... careful ... before calling someone ... uhm ... "average". :rofl:

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I haven't had chance to read everybody's comments yet. Just quickly went through a few top skaters' scores. I am very happy for Johnny's score. His score tied with his best SP score last year at the Olympics for his "The Swan". This would give him much needed encouragement. Wish him good luck in LP!

Very happy for Takahashi, Joubert, and Lambiel. This is so excited!

Jasper

Final Flight
I haven't had chance to read everybody's comments yet. Just quickly went through a few top skaters' scores. I am very happy for Johnny's score. His score tied with his best SP score last year at the Olympics for his "The Swan". This would give him much needed encouragement. Wish him good luck in LP!

Very happy for Takahashi, Joubert, and Lambiel. This is so excited!

Actually his score was quite far off from last year's SP in Torino, by about 6 points. I believe you were confused (as was I) because the scores were posted with each skater's previous PB first, followed by their actual scores from today. When I first read that, I thought everyone was getting PBs!

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, looks like lots succumbed to the insane pressure. I am thrilled for Buttle, delivering once more when it counts. Good for Joubert for not buckling, but I don't think he's in any position to rest his way through the LP. Both Buttle and Takahashi aren't that far behind him, not to mention Lysacek who's know for his big comebacks in the LP. Hooray for Mabee for an excellent placement in the SP. I know I wasn't predicting he'd be this far up the standings given the field here. The biggest surprise is Oda (whom I also find somewhat overhyped), but he's young yet and will bounce back.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Lambiel's skated to Blood Diamond??? WOW! Him and James Newton Howard is a match made in heaven for me! I MUST see it!

BittyBug

On the Ice
39 Johnny WEIR USA......O frtwrk - was awfully empty to me - flowed well but . . . strt steps that again flow very well but don't seem to have much there
Johnny's footwork is not as packed as some of the other skaters, but his footwork features a lot of rockers and counters, which require longer edging in and out compared to brackets, toe steps and twizzles, which can be done on a very compact portion of ice (not to mention that brackets and toe steps are much easier).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I predict the final podium will be:

1. Joubert
2. Buttle
3. Lambiel or Takahashi

I could be wrong but I have a feeling Buttle will hit his axels this time and if he does he will stay in 2nd, unless Joubert has major problems. I do think Lysacek will do a strong long, but I also think Takahashi will, and Lambiel will have a semi-respectable skate and the judges might put him on the program with his PCS.

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
YAY BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I left home this morning at 7 am and Oda was skating. I saw him popping is axel and felt so bad for the poor guy. I was so anxious and curious the whole morning. Only at 2 pm I had the time to find a computer and check the results. Im thrilled for Brian, Buttle and Johnny. I hope Brian wins and Buttle holds is silver medal position. He really deserves that. Now if Johnny could go up to 3rd it would be perfect.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny's footwork is not as packed as some of the other skaters, but his footwork features a lot of rockers and counters, which require longer edging in and out compared to brackets, toe steps and twizzles, which can be done on a very compact portion of ice (not to mention that brackets and toe steps are much easier).

Thanks for that explanation, BittyBug.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Buttle

Good for Buttle. If he lands two 3As in long program, he'll become the deserved medalist.

flyingnun

On the Ice
Does anyone else think that Joubert and Buttle should be neck and neck at about 80 or 81 points with Mabee in 4th? I watch all the performances and joubert shouldnot have gotten component marks like that. His components should have been like 36.5 and Buttle should have had Brian's original components score. Chris should have had at least 34 for components.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Actually his score was quite far off from last year's SP in Torino, by about 6 points. I believe you were confused (as was I) because the scores were posted with each skater's previous PB first, followed by their actual scores from today. When I first read that, I thought everyone was getting PBs!

Thank you so much for pointing it out! So I was totally wrong about everybody. I will read them again later. Thanks!

rain

Record Breaker
Looks like Lambiel got a huge gift in the short. People are talking about Joubert's component scores being higher than Buttle's, but what about Lambiel's? That's just not right with the major errors he had.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Looks like Lambiel got a huge gift in the short. People are talking about Joubert's component scores being higher than Buttle's, but what about Lambiel's? That's just not right with the major errors he had.

Stephane is never given a gift from judges. He has to work for everything he gets.

dutchherder

Final Flight
I think the gold medal is a slam dunk at this point. The closest to Joubert is the quadless Buttle. Joubert was given the highest PCS by the judges. He is definitely on target. If he has his usual free skate or close to it he wins regardless what anybody else does.

The silver and bronze are wide open IMO. Buttle is very vurnerable to others passing him, he lost a 10 point lead to Lysacek at Four Continents.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: A "quadless Buttle" sounds like some sort of rare water bird.