Men's Free - Results | Golden Skate

Men's Free - Results

It seems a little pathetic to congratulate Johnny Weir for finishing second by 35 points.

Another bronze for Irina:

Plushenko 241.80
Weir 206.79
Slute 198.06

MM

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
It seems a little pathetic to congratulate Johnny Weir for finishing second by 35 points.

Plushenko 241.80
Weir 206.79
Slute 198.06

MM

You crack me up!!! In the Mathman Manner of Scoring - MMMS(tm) Lambiel beat Irina and Johnny too. :)

Good to see Johnny back on his feet. Good to see solid PCS. Bad to see Johnny in 7th (and that's only counting the men this time) on TES. BUT - as a Johnny fan I would rather see this TES problem, which is up to him to fix, than a PCS problem.

Can't wait to see Johnny at Nats (live, rub it in, rub it in)!!!! Oops - I suppose we will get to see Johnny at the Ultimate Double Cheese with Extra Cheesefest in December, right?? :)

DG

Oh...yeah...I must have looked at the results before Stephane skated. No medal for Irina, she'll have to be satisfied with her double-platinum in ladies.

Speaking of the cheesefest, it looks like Kimmie is not going to make the GP Final, so if Michelle doesn't go :cry: maybe Kimmie will join the cast :agree:

MM :)

Lambiel got -1 deduction. I'll bet that was a fall. Oh when will see a clean program from this dynamic skater?

Dambier? WOW. He's out to get Brian at the French Nats.

Johnny - No deductions but not good enough to catch Stephane.

Sawyer - Creeping up there. Wait'll next year and he beat Stefan.:cool:

Klimkin - 3 deductions - No chance for the Olys.:cry

Joe:

blackrose050

Rinkside
Doggygirl said:
Good to see Johnny back on his feet. Good to see solid PCS. Bad to see Johnny in 7th (and that's only counting the men this time) on TES. BUT - as a Johnny fan I would rather see this TES problem, which is up to him to fix, than a PCS problem.

DG

Well, he popped the triple axel and doubled a couple other jumps, I hear. When the jumps are all in place, he should score very well!

I hope this bronze is a confidence-builder for him.

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Lambiel got -1 deduction. I'll bet that was a fall. Oh when will see a clean program from this dynamic skater?

Joe:

Stephane fell on the 3ax....I think it's becoming a nemesis jump for him at this point...yikes.

No falls for Johnny, but I think he doubled a jump and had one or two shaky landings....

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m not worried about Lambiel regarding the Olympics, at least not yet, LOL. Just remembering Ilia Kulik not being perfect (with jumps) in 1997 Skate Canada and NHK, but he was nearly perfect in GPF with only touching the ice by hand in the quad jump (and beated Stojko). Ilia did not compete at Europeans because of the back injury, but for the Olympics freeskate he was ready and skated his best performance ever. Maybe the same could apply e.g. to Lambiel, Sandhu and Weir as well if they train for the Olympics as hard as Ilia did and concentrate at the Olympics without any distractions just on their job there?

Last edited:
blackrose050 said:
Well, he popped the triple axel and doubled a couple other jumps, I hear. When the jumps are all in place, he should score very well!

I hope this bronze is a confidence-builder for him.
I hope for the best for Johnny, but I don't see how popping his triple Axel and doubling other jumps can do anything for his confidence.

MM

blackrose050

Rinkside
Mathman said:
I hope for the best for Johnny, but I don't see how popping his triple Axel and doubling other jumps can do anything for his confidence.

MM

It may not have been a great performance, but it's an improvement over what he's done in the LP so far this season. He's back on the podium again.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Lambiel has always had trouble with the triple axel and triple lutz. They are nemisis jumps for him and he rarely does them clean. Similar to Buttle, except Buttle also doesnt have a quad.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

MM

ITA. On another note I will be interested to see what you all think of the LP once you've watched the COR version. I just watched it. Of course Johnny glides over the ice in the smoothest way....I'm just not sure yet if I like this program. Maybe it just needs to grow on me some more. I like Otonal much better at this point, but I didn't care much for that the first couple times I saw it either. I hope it becomes brilliant (or maybe it already is but I don't see it yet) by Nationals!!

DG

sk8addict

On the Ice
Johnny

Mathman said:

Plushenko 241.80
Weir 206.79
Slute 198.
MM
After having to redo all his footwork & spins at the end of the summer and with all the injuries he has had, I think Johnny shoud be congratulated on any medal he wins!!
I think we should be congratulating Michael Weiss & Thimothy Goebel for having usfsa by the balls and getting international assignments that younger skaters should be getting.

euterpe

Medalist
Johnny's ankle still wasn't 100% when he skated at CoR, so I think he did a terrific job. His next performance, at Nationals, should be a huge improvement, and he should be ready to roll at Torino.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I still dont think Weir will medal in Turin if Plushenko and Lambiel are on their game, well we know he wont beat Plushenko who will win the gold easily, but he probably wont beat Lambiel if Lambiel gets his triple axel solid by Turin. That leaves only one medal to fight for potentialy and I think one of Buttle, Sandhu, Joubert, Takahasi, and atleast one of those will be able to keep him off that 3rd spot on the podium, even if he skates well in Turin IMHO. If Takahashi skates as well as he did at Skate America I see him filling out the podium, but if Sandhu is able to do a solid short and long it will probably be him. Buttle is an inconsistent jumper still, and Joubert is not getting the inflated PCS scores he did last year as a defending World silver medalist and thus is struggling.

At the very least he should have a better shot than Lysacek who will continue scoring in the 65-67 range for PCS even with his new program, and will need a huge crash and burn to get another medal like he did at Worlds last year.

We are going to have a look at Daisuke and Evan in the next competition (NHK).

No point in predicting anything till it's over.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
not necessarily younger

The funds going to Mike and Tim should go to BETTER skaters... not necessarily younger skaters.
Linny

anya_angie

Final Flight
Agreed. I feel so disappointed in Tim's interpretation of Night On Bald Mountain. Such an extraordinary piece of music, yet all he's doing is... blah. Mike's program was ok artistically, but it wore off on me near the end.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl said:
ITA. On another note I will be interested to see what you all think of the LP once you've watched the COR version. I just watched it. Of course Johnny glides over the ice in the smoothest way....I'm just not sure yet if I like this program. Maybe it just needs to grow on me some more. I like Otonal much better at this point, but I didn't care much for that the first couple times I saw it either. I hope it becomes brilliant (or maybe it already is but I don't see it yet) by Nationals!!

DG
DG, I agree with everything you said. Now, call me crazy, but the first time I saw Johnny's new program, I was not happy. Of course I love Otonal so much. Then even when all the bad stuff happened at Skate Canada, I saw the beauty in his new program.

I'm sure he will make it wonderful just for me and you.:love: :clap: :clap:

Dee