Men's LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think the 2A was actually supposed to be a triple with another jump on the end. The first half of the program was wonderful, so hopefully he'll build on that. A clean version of that program would be amazing.

Thank you for your report. I guess some skaters like Jeff might think of every possible situation beforehand and might be able to count the number of jumps during the performance. Somehow, with my all respect and love for Tomas, this lovable young man does not appear to be that type just as much as Nobu. So I try to think that it was good for him that he did not try to improvise during the performance to make up for missed combos at this time so that he would not violate the zayak rule again.

Where would his third combo be supposed to be?

ETA: I figure that it might have been on the last flip that he URed. But as I see his elements last season, I realize that it was only at NHK where he had three combos. He had two combos at European Championship, but in all the other events, he had either only one combo or no combo at all. He also never had the third jump in any of his combos throughout the last season.

Last edited:
I am so happy for Jeremy! His first Grand Prix medal and IT'S A GOLD!!! He must be on cloud 9! He has been my favorite US man since seeing his LP at the 2007 Nationals in Spokane. Great to see all his hard work and talent paying off. I'd be over the moon to see him win the National title! :love::bow:

Also, congrats to Stephen for silver and Tomas for bronze. Can't wait to watch all these programs!

What an interesting and exciting Grand Prix it has been so far for the men and the ladies disciplines. Many unexpected results are happening to keep all of us fans on the edge of our seats. I think it's great for the sport! :cool::rock:
It was indeed that LP in Gotenborg that made me sit up and notice Jeremy. If he lands his quad (although I don't think he'll need it at US Nats) he will unquestionably rock the boat Evan and Johnny are on.

But moreso, I was surprised by Stephen C. He got to me with his performance!! which I was never enthusiastic about, and his triple combo is a hoot with those arms going up on the last jump.

But there is also Bradley, and let's give Rippon a look at COR.

It is possible to see a completely different podium at US Nats

tae04

On the Ice
Abbott was awesome. Nice choreography and very flowing jumps. He could upset at Nationals, if they are fair. I hope he can keep this consistency up and do the quad.

lmarie086

Medalist
I haven't seen any of the LPs yet (just woke up) but my initial reaction was....

:rock:JEREMY WON!!!

And now that I've gotten that out I'll go watch the programs. But seriously, US Nationals is going to be so intense. I would love for Jeremy to win-I really noticed him at Worlds last season and if he could just let go of the nerves, I definitely think he could be at the top of the podium.

No one is secure, and there are at the very least 6 contenders for 3 podium spots. That's exciting.

Eevun

Final Flight
Haven't watched it yet, but I couldn't keep away from here. Read the protocols.
What was Koffe doing? Lots of doubles and a 1A?! :eek: Good levels though. Can't wait to see the program, I :love: a-ha!
Looks like Vaughn hadn't his best day either. And Jeremy Tan, an "A"? Not a whole rotation, it means, or? Never seen before.
Not that impressed by Verner any more, but look forward to see his quad. Congrats to Abbott! I'll have to watch this guy closer in the future, I really like what I saw in the SP. Have to go back to old recordings from this years Worlds to see what I missed there.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Both his costumes were awful. On Eurosport they referred to his look as retro, and not in a good way. They're unflattering and I don't know why he chose something like that. Stephen, if you want to keep it simple, just go for a monochrome look like Kozuka at SA!

His SP costume reminded me of a mouse perhas because we have been having a battle with mice at home lately. But I thought him adorable in it:)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
His SP costume reminded me of a mouse perhas because we have been having a battle with mice at home lately. But I thought him adorable in it:)
My friend, who does not watch much figure skating, referred to it as a Soviet-era sweatpant/sweatshirt ensemble. Ouch. She did add that he looked like a nice geeky type, FWIW.

The LP costume was hideous. And it made him look bulky and sweaty, which is never good.

missysays

On the Ice
Wow!!! What a great job for both Stephen Carriere and Jeremy Abbott. Going into this international- I was the least excited about the men's competition.

What impressed me the most was the feeling that I got that this wasn't some wrenching pull my body through the last hurdle kind of runthrough of their programs for them. The last movements and jumps were done with energy and lightness. Even though Jeremy almost fell out of the double axel, I felt like it was because he could have done a triple and remembered at the last moment that he had already done two of them. (And it looks like someone said that he might have planned that originally as a triple?) The tango theme really suited him and gave him an edgey look that came across really well.

I loved Stephen's both arms over his head jumps that he did- so cool and streamlined looking. And his posture looked really improved from the slightly fuzzy streaming video that I saw.

Congratulations to both of them for a job well done.:clap::clap:

magicalwords

On the Ice
Wow! Congratulations to Jeremy Abbott and Stephen Carriere! Especially to Jeremy for his first GOLD medal in GP! If they can keep this up, then US Nationals will be so exciting!

Ahh, Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy :love:
I really hope he can do well in COR too so he can go to GPF! It'll be so awesome if he makes it. Also, Stephen for NHK. Such an awesome day for US skating!

Too bad for Verner, but I hope he does well in COR too.

This year's men field has been very interesting so far. I hope to see this continue.

Eevun

Final Flight
Anyone knows anything about pictures? Looking for Kristoffer and Jeremy Tan, among others. Looked at gettyimages and icenetwork, but none :(

Eevun

Final Flight
Talking with my best friend, who's watching the mens LP right know. I just had to quote this :rofl:
Carriere seems to do a good skate *reading the protocols*, but that costume is so ugly I can't watch him.

Last edited:

alekzu

Rinkside
Alright.... The mens LP then. I absolutely love Kristoffers program. :love: It fits him perfectly, it's fun to watch and the music is great. If he can just nail the technical parts as well this is going to be a terrific program. Well done Kristoffer! :rock:

Got caught in the skater after Kristoffer as well, Bordulin. And I found someone to keep an eye out for. I loved that program as well. I am not to fond of tango, but this was fun to watch, and the choreo was great.

But Tomas on the other hand..... *shakes head* No no no no.... THAT was so utterly boring to watch. And the music.... That's why I don't like tango. This doesn't suit him at all. And yet he got such high PCS for it.... Almost a little disappointing... But he looked gorgeous in that outfit. :love:

Someone that did NOT look gorgeous in his outfit was Carriere. I couldn't even bare myself to watch it all. The program almost looked ridiculous just because of the costume, But his jumps were really nice, and overall it looked kind of good. I might be able to overcome my non-interest for the American skaters before this season ends (no offence to them, I just can't find it in me to be interested in them).

I was reluctant to watch Abbotts program. But after reading his scores I though "Wow" These scores are insane!" and I had to watch it after all. Those points were well deserved.... *coughs* Not to fond of the music, or the program itself really. Although I have to admit it was darn good. It is fun to watch the new ones make their entrance on the world stage.

Overall this turned out to be a more entertaining competition than I had first anticipated. Even without Takahashi. Maybe next week, when there isn't a time difference for me, and I'm not working, I can sit and watch it with the element sheet infront of me. :)

Eevun

Final Flight
When you speak about the devil... Hello alekzu :biggrin:

I was reluctant to watch Abbotts program. But after reading his scores I though "Wow" These scores are insane!" and I had to watch it after all. Those points were well deserved.... *coughs* Not to fond of the music, or the program itself really. Although I have to admit it was darn good. It is fun to watch the new ones make their entrance on the world stage.

Overall this turned out to be a more entertaining competition than I had first anticipated. Even without Takahashi. Maybe next week, when there isn't a time difference for me, and I'm not working, I can sit and watch it with the element sheet infront of me. :)

Told ya he was good :agree: Good you found something fun to watch, with darling Dai gone :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
WOW, I´m so happy for Abbott (and Carriere, too)!!! Has he gotten a new co-coach? Abbott seems a lot mentally stronger this season, is it because of this woman coach? I just hope that his win in China will not ruin the rest of the season for him.... The US Nationals are getting even more exciting!!!

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Jeremy Abbott and Stephen Carriere from me too.
Tomas.... could do much better, but it's still early in the season.

Tigger

Final Flight
It's going to be crazy this year. We've gone from Johnny versus Evan to Johnny versus Evan versus Ryan versus Stephen versus Jeremy and not only of them can be certain of a spot for Worlds-but with a score like that Jeremy just might be the favorite. If he makes the Grand Prix Finale(which I think he's going to do) he could seriously make himself one.

You know something? I think I made myself dizzy reading that. LOL!!

You guys really do have an embrassment of riches right now in the Mens side of things. Reminds me of how deep Canada is in Dance at the moment.

So happy I'll get to see some of the Mens event from US Nationals on NBC. It's going to be fun to watch!! :biggrin:

anya_angie

Final Flight
So what were the final results? I skimmed through the thread but didn't see a list. Is it still going on?