Men's LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Is it that GS fans are questioning the Protocols? The scores of Chan are out of his control. I haven't seen his youtube yet, but I am sure he skated well. There are only two maybe three gentlemen in figure skating today that have great flow: Chan and Weir, and Brezina whom I hope we see in Vancouver.

It's always nice to see a skater flow as well as jump.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Protocols! Love those.

Chan: got +1.6 GOE on the Double Axel at the beginning, and +1.6 on the one at the end. Interesting. 152 points for a 6 Triple performance, ain't life great? And those 6 Triples weren't even clean!

So according to you, the scores should only be considered JUMPS eh? Maybe you should open your eyes and watch for non-jumps elements? Oh never mind, the bitching about over-scored Chan is sooooooooo getting old.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Some of us are just not so impressed with Chan's skating and believe the judges are being overly generous in scoring him. Nobody faults Chan himself for taking advantage, he's hardly the only one to benefit from questionnable marks...

I didn't bother to read the rest...too long...

So you think his World SP's mark was right? It seems like if Chan gets a good score, people are bitching that the judges are bias in fave of Chan. That's just pathetic. He got high marks in almost every competition except the World (which he was clearly robbed)....that just shows the judges see things WE don't see. They are not Canadian judges, you know?

I didn't bother to read the rest...too long...

For some reason, that tickled me. :)

I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I am going to take the sentiment to heart anyway. No more boring page-long Mathman pontifications. (Yeah, I know -- promises, promises. ;) )

jennylovskt

Medalist
I thought Chan was WAY overmarked. He landed only 6 triples, none of which was a 3A; he fell on his one and only 3A attempt. If this performance was so worthy of the second-highest TES, then yes, it does look suspiciously like a pre-Vancouver annointing of the Men's OGM winner. But if Chan DOES win the OGM with a pair of performances like this, there will be an uproar that will make SLC look like a tea party.

After 2010 Olympics, another scoring system will be born if the judges do the same thing like this. Is this figure skating a serious sport? It doesn't seem to look like one.

bekalc

Record Breaker
See for me what ticks me off, and I finally found a way to explain it, is what I find most exciting about singles skating, is the fact that there are more falls in Singles.

What I mean is that in ice dancing it's rare to see a fall because people rarely fall on their footwork on their choregraphy. So because of this we see normally way less movement in the standings...

So for me the excitement about singles is the fact that in 2006, yeah it was clear that Plushenko was the freakin best skater in the world. But hey who knows he has to do these really difficult jumps and he could completely implode. By falling. It's not like that's never happened before to favorites (heck everyone thought 1994 would be Browning vs Petrenko) Same with 1992.

I get that not every man can do difficult choregraphy, just as not every man can do triple axels....But I'd much rather see the man with the difficult triple axels win in men's singles.

This doesn't mean I don't value artistry/spins/transitions because I do. And no way in heck do I want to see a skater with poor basics and slow as molasses winning championships either just because they can rotate. (I have some standards)

But when I see Chan with no triple axels beating a great basic skater like Oda who landed 2 triple axels. It ticks me off because it's not the direction I want to see this sport going into.

Because what will happen is eventually more and more men will try less and less difficult content. And as a result the sport will be less and less risky, and then less and less exciting.

In the end I want to see a balance from my skaters.. But to me if your program doesn't have clean triple axels and your a man, there's nothing balanced about it. I mean seriously triple axels have been a standard since Brian Orser. The only time I'm cool with lacking a triple axel is when a man at least has a quad... Then okay, you have something else hard technically jump wise that makes up for it.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
For some reason, that tickled me. :)

I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I am going to take the sentiment to heart anyway. No more boring page-long Mathman pontifications. (Yeah, I know -- promises, promises. ;) )
I don't know, Mathman - I like having more reading material ;). I'm amused that jettasian managed to disregard just about everything I wrote in the two posts on the previous page to write yet another post along the lines of "Chan is so awesome, anyone who disagrees is pathetic and just bitching about him". I guess my ignore list is about to get bigger. There's only so much amusement I can handle.

For a lady skater, I am sure everyone will agree that if she moves over the ice like Yuka Sato, she spins like Caroline Zhang, she jumps like Irina Slutskaya and has the poise of Michelle Kwan, we have found the ideal lady skater.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Wow, it's surprising to see how easily people label someone (whom they don't even know well) and attribute all these negative characteristics to, based on just one comment made by the person. How many 18-years olds have you seen who never make blunders and say only mature things? Give him a break, please. He's still a naive teenager. He does not deserve to be called a bad person. He also does not deserve to be a target of harsh bashing simply because judges like his skating.

I cannot blame Chan for what he has said about Joubert´s PCS, because I very much share his opinion, LOL. Anyway, good for Evan that he had another wonderful freeskate. What a great competitor he is!!!

jennylovskt

Medalist
I am wondering just how good Patrick Chan's skating is? His skating certainly hasn't reached Jeffrey Buttle's artistry, cannot be compared with Johnny Weir's, as Dick Button said, "liquid gold" like flow. He is the weakest jumper among the top skaters. His spin is just an average as Lysacek's. His choreography is not outstanding. The only thing he has that is better than others is his deep edge. Was that edge worth so much?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
How is a program well balanced when it doesn't have a clean triple axel?

:scratch: Why would having a clean triple axel have anything to do with a well balanced program? "Well-balanced" has to mean considering a program as a whole not defined by one single element surely?

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought there was some strange scoring at the WTT, and not just of Chan - e.g. Oda's low PCS, Evan not really getting dinged on his URs (GOE-wise), D/D getting over 55 with two falls in the SP. But since the skaters seem to have taken the approach that they're just there to have fun at the end of the season, and judging by the party atmoshpere in the K&Cs, that's exactly how most of them saw it, who am I to say otherwise? ;) Hopefully they all enjoyed the experience, except maybe poor Jess and Bryce.

I do hope to see better scoring in 2009-10, though, especially at Olys.