Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm sure every single element big GOE. He was that strong.
I know judging isn't always comparable across events, but it is also three points higher than Buttle's SP at 2008 Worlds, and isn't that sort of the gold standard we now use for the quadless guys? It's also almost as high a TES as Joubert's at 2008 CoR - and even considering his SL was given only a level 2 at that event, Joubert had a 4-3 there, with positive GOEs on everything.

roller314

Spectator
thanks fot the info.. will they broadcast fp of all categories at least tomorrow?

I'm afraid they won't. :frown:
Tomorrow is saturday and they decided broadcast regular saturday programes except for the Ladies'.
So it will be worse than today. They'll air some highlights from the comprtition at midnight(local time), but I don't know what they will choose for 'highlights'.

cocovica

On the Ice
I'm afraid they won't. :frown:
Tomorrow is saturday and they decided broadcast regular saturday programes except for the Ladies'.
So it will be worse than today. They'll air some highlights from the comprtition at midnight(local time), but I don't know what they will choose for 'highlights'.
oh noooo....so only ladies lp...

Medusa

Record Breaker
My 0,02$:

All my boys, except for Kozuka (wasn't someone telling horror stories from his practices?), were so extremely nervous. I still love them all.

Kozuka: Beautiful. I love the program, it's only memorable when done effortless and flawless - as was it done here. Amazing jumps - and yes, it's quite possible to get 47 TES when you got jumps like that. If Johnny had a clean program with all levels maxed out and without the Flip edgecall he would be able to get that too (I did the math after NHK). This program had such a relaxed zen-like feeling to it, it will go down in my video library. And his smile is gorgeous. Will he take out the Quad tomorrow now? If he lands 8 perfect Kozuka Triples, he should be hard to catch - especially since Jeremy isn't one to get much GOE on the jumps. But I guess Kozuka will go for it. Well, job amazingly done, mini-Japanese.

Abbott: He didn't fall - like the others - but he still looked very nervous to me and I have to agree with the PCS. A nervous Abbott is not really mesmerising. The jumps were scratchy, no speed out of the jumps. The spins were superb of course - but at times the footwork looked even a bit fragmented - and we all know it can look better from Cup of China. But good for him for not falling and being in medal contention here.

Joubert: Oh la la, he so wanted to play it safe with the 2 Toe (it looked deliberate to me, he had so much power left...), only to find out two jumping passes later, that he shouldn have done it. Overall Brian lost 3 points on the combo + at least 5 points on the Lutz. The 3 points from the combo would have kept him much closer to the top of the field - and with that strange LP of his? I am excited about what he plans to do tomorrow - Johnny isn't far behind and Johnny's program is way better than Brian's so far and got more PCS so far. The footwork was great though, I loved how he improved his spins - and I need a picture of Brian and the Teddy Bear.

Weir: Well, I just think he has this special ritual of falling on the 3A in the short program of the GPF. Because if I am not mistaken it's the third time in the row that he fell on the 3A in the short program of the GPF. Beautiful footwork and spins, the program keeps improving - we should get a really great version at Worlds. He probably got another edge call on the Flip, could he just do something about that? Do a Salchow! Would give him more points than the edge-called Flip. I am looking forward to tomorrow - I need a good emotional LP-performance for my Video Library, what better place to do that than in South Korea?

Verner: Oh no. His SP is more jinxed than his LP this season. Why can't he land that Quad, when it works in the LP? The judges were so unimpressed that they gave him the lowest PCS. And the fall on the footwork. Oh Tomas! Just try to - I don't know, get your head free. Have a good Czech beer (and the beer there is good, not as good as German beer, but very very nearly) before each performance - or a talk with the Zen-master Kozuka. I love the program, despite the frontloading and everything, it's beautiful. And he has the skating skills of Kozuka combined with the power of Joubert - it's awesome to watch.

Chan: The Superchan lost his spark today. Or so it seemed. But despite visiting the ice twice - the footwork was mindblowing, I think artistically and musicality-wise it's his best short so far. I got those warm and fuzzy Lambiel-feelings. But he is just 17, he needs these experiences and fix that Axel of his. Yes, Weir fell too on the Axel - but Weir falls once or twice every season on his Axel, not once each competition. I hope that Patrick is very relaxed tomorrow and can just skate - and give me a great extremely musical and absolutely flawless performance.

The judging was good by the way in my opinion. Spot on. They all got more or less the same PCS with Kozuka the most (Yeah!), then Chan, then Johnny and the rest.

And now boys, have a few drinks in a bar somewhere there, get inspired by the Zen-master Kozuka - and give all of us a fantastic day of excellent performances tomorrow. They all deserve it, I can't even decide who I want on the podium.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
My 0,02$:

All my boys, except for Kozuka (wasn't someone telling horror stories from his practices?), were so extremely nervous. I still love them all.

Kozuka: Beautiful. I love the program, it's only memorable when done effortless and flawless - as was it done here. Amazing jumps - and yes, it's quite possible to get 47 TES when you got jumps like that. If Johnny had a clean program with all levels maxed out and without the Flip edgecall he would be able to get that too (I did the math after NHK). This program had such a relaxed zen-like feeling to it, it will go down in my video library. And his smile is gorgeous. Will he take out the Quad tomorrow now? If he lands 8 perfect Kozuka Triples, he should be hard to catch - especially since Jeremy isn't one to get much GOE on the jumps. But I guess Kozuka will go for it. Well, job amazingly done, mini-Japanese.

Abbott: He didn't fall - like the others - but he still looked very nervous to me and I have to agree with the PCS. A nervous Abbott is not really mesmerising. The jumps were scratchy, no speed out of the jumps. The spins were superb of course - but at times the footwork looked even a bit fragmented - and we all know it can look better from Cup of China. But good for him for not falling and being in medal contention here.

Joubert: Oh la la, he so wanted to play it safe with the 2 Toe (it looked deliberate to me, he had so much power left...), only to find out two jumping passes later, that he shouldn have done it. Overall Brian lost 3 points on the combo + at least 5 points on the Lutz. The 3 points from the combo would have kept him much closer to the top of the field - and with that strange LP of his? I am excited about what he plans to do tomorrow - Johnny isn't far behind and Johnny's program is way better than Brian's so far and got more PCS so far. The footwork was great though, I loved how he improved his spins - and I need a picture of Brian and the Teddy Bear.

Weir: Well, I just think he has this special ritual of falling on the 3A in the short program of the GPF. Because if I am not mistaken it's the third time in the row that he fell on the 3A in the short program of the GPF. Beautiful footwork and spins, the program keeps improving - we should get a really great version at Worlds. He probably got another edge call on the Flip, could he just do something about that? Do a Salchow! Would give him more points than the edge-called Flip. I am looking forward to tomorrow - I need a good emotional LP-performance for my Video Library, what better place to do that than in South Korea?

Verner: Oh no. His SP is more jinxed than his LP this season. Why can't he land that Quad, when it works in the LP? The judges were so unimpressed that they gave him the lowest PCS. And the fall on the footwork. Oh Tomas! Just try to - I don't know, get your head free. Have a good Czech beer (and the beer there is good, not as good as German beer, but very very nearly) before each performance - or a talk with the Zen-master Kozuka. I love the program, despite the frontloading and everything, it's beautiful. And he has the skating skills of Kozuka combined with the power of Joubert - it's awesome to watch.

Chan: The Superchan lost his spark today. Or so it seemed. But despite visiting the ice twice - the footwork was mindblowing, I think artistically and musicality-wise it's his best short so far. I got those warm and fuzzy Lambiel-feelings. But he is just 17, he needs these experiences and fix that Axel of his. Yes, Weir fell too on the Axel - but Weir falls once or twice every season on his Axel, not once each competition. I hope that Patrick is very relaxed tomorrow and can just skate - and give me a great extremely musical and absolutely flawless performance.

The judging was good by the way in my opinion. Spot on. They all got more or less the same PCS with Kozuka the most (Yeah!), then Chan, then Johnny and the rest.

And now boys, have a few drinks in a bar somewhere there, get inspired by the Zen-master Kozuka - and give all of us a fantastic day of excellent performances tomorrow. They all deserve it, I can't even decide who I want on the podium.

well it's 4 in the morning here. All the bars are closed....

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm kind of confused as to how Kozuka's TES was so high. To the best of my knowledge, the only guy without a quad to get a higher TES in his short was Dai at 4CC, and that was a GOE-happy event. I'm not watching, but is it really justified?

I knew Kwong would jinx Chan. Only a powerful ancestor can protect a skater from such blatant interference! ;)

I know Chan has good choreo and skills, but the second highest PCS on the day, with two falls? Seriously?

Just wondering about this, too. The scores do seem to be trending upwards -- is the skating really that much better this season and from these individuals? :think:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Jeremy
Very beautiful performance, but looked slower than some other skaters. Yet, it was clean. The combo looked low and tight, but 3A looked nice. Wonderful spins as always. Beautiful chores throughout the steps. A lot of movements that used not only the upper body, but literally the whole body.

Kozuka
Fab skating. Great speed throughout. Gorgeous steps. I usually like Patrick's steps better than Kozuka's. But tonight, Kozuka looked simply fantastic.
Big, clean jumps and well-centered, fast spins as well.
I wish he had a better posture, but it was absolutely fab overall.
This program had such a relaxed zen-like feeling to it
Awww:laugh: Hope he can stay calm tomorrow as well.

Joubert
Korean fans were so crazy about him! They clapped every time he did some sexy moves. He got far more applause for his sexy choreos than for his spins. What a cute audience!

His quad looked very very clean and easy. Though not enough for him to do 3T as the second jump, it was so exciting to watch. Nice 3A, but a fall on lutz. His steps looked as if they had been more suitable for Ex programs. But a lot of excitement, power, and energy throughout the program.

Verner: ....And he has the skating skills of Kozuka combined with the power of Joubert - it's awesome to watch.
I know! I feel that the starting order might have affected his PCS tonight.

I feel that I still need to recover from Johnny's fall on his usually amazing 3A and Tomas's and Patrick's falls.

But tomorrow is another day. Best of lucks, guys:clap::clap::clap:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I have read the entire thread; my profound thanks to all of you, especially Medusa for the total overview. :)

The discipline about which I have the most passionate feelings is the Men's.

Generally, I enjoy re-viewing the programs. Watching the entirety of an event online or on TV in one sitting is not practical for me. I like to watch individual programs, over and over, so recording TV broadcasts is ideal for me. Also YouTube carrying the programs was ideal for me, as are the programs carried by other video viewing sites. It makes me sad to realize that I can now perhaps only follow the action by reading about it.

As I have attempted to communicate previously, there was a great dust-up about recording movies from TV broadcasts, when the technological capacity for doing so, first arrived. The owners of the rights to the films were agitated. They soon discovered, to their chagrin, that they could not stop the new technology; but they made a happy discovery after that. Many people who liked a film a lot, even if they had recorded it from TV with commercials, and channel ID affixed, would gladly *buy* that film in a more pristine form, from its rightful owners. I have bought *many* films, myself. They can be ordered by telephone from Barnes and Noble, and also found in stores. (That means I do not have to expose myself to online identity theft in order to obtain the films.) The profits from selling the videotapes, and later, the DVDs, have put smiles back on the faces of the film owners, and breathed new life into some old film companies. I tried to say before, that I hope a similarly happy everybody-wins solution, also known as a win-win solution, will occur in the case of figure skating viewing. At this point, I do not see such a solution on the horizon.

The reason I am putting this in this thread, is because of my genuine sadness at not being allowed to see Takahiko, Johnny, Brian, Patrick, and the others, compete. It is a new era in figure skating, but not a happy one for me.

Again, in my sadness, I wish to thank everyone who has provided written descriptions here of the figure skating.

ETA: And thanks to Bennett for your overview :) It must have appeared while I was writing my post.

Last edited:

tilak

On the Ice
I just read on FSU that Patrick Chan withdrew. No one knows why. :cry:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
ETA: And thanks to Bennett for your overview :) It must have appeared while I was writing my post.

You are most welcome. The pleasure is mine.

I hope that there would be some way for you to watch it in the way you had wanted.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am sad to hear that Patrick is out. I wonder what happened...

I am also disappointed in Tomas's PCS. He has such a transition- and choreo-filled program and his skating skills are fab. I hope he will have a good LP, or just do his best at Euro and Worlds.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I hope that Brian and Johnny have a huge comeback in the final.

Hopeful Final standings:

GOLD: BRIAN JOUBERT of France

SILVER: Johnny Weir

BRONZE: Jeremy Abbott

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just read on FSU that Patrick Chan withdrew. No one knows why. :cry:

Has there been a withdrawal announcement? I ask because some one posted earlier this info but then deleted the post because he/she could not confirm.

1 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 83.90
2 Jeremy ABBOTT USA 78.26
3 Brian JOUBERT FRA 74.55
4 Johnny WEIR USA 72.50
5 Tomas VERNER CZE 69.34
6 Patrick CHAN CAN 68.00 33.30
I would have thought the scores would have been closer. Bravo Taka! I doubt anyone will catch him, but 2nd and 3rd place are up for grabs. Weir's got his work to do.