Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's SP - Please discuss and share PBP here!

tilak

On the Ice

Bennett

Record Breaker
Kozuka said that he had shaken legs prior to the performance. But he felt fine after landing the first jump.

ETA
http://web.icenetwork.com/documents/2008/12/12/57334/1/gpf0809_SeniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf

Protocol.

I was a bit surprised that Kozuka did not get very big GOEs on his steps.

More judges gave 2 on Joubert's steps than on Kozuka's (even though the latter got level 3 on both steps whereas Joubert got level 2 on one of them). Although the audience was a lot more excited with Joubert's steps, Kozuka's looked a lot better to me. Joubert had a lot of steps that did not use edges.

I thought Kozuka's were better than Patrick, too, tonight, but Patrick also got better GOEs than Kozuka.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I hope that Brian and Johnny have a huge comeback in the final.

Hopeful Final standings:

GOLD: BRIAN JOUBERT of France
Not with this sort of gap, unless he's made some changes to the LP since we last saw it. And I am saying this as a fan. Also, this is the second straight time he's gotten a level 2 for his SL steps. Much as I like what he's doing, it has to be de-exed a bit. It's an SP, not a gala, and he's giving away points.

I looked at the protocols, and I still don't get Kozuka's TES. He was good, he should lead, but over seven points of +GOEs for an SP is a lot. Bennett - in the end Kozuka had a higher mark than Joubert out of his step sequences, so I don't see the problem even if you prefer the former. I wonder why Joubert got a 0 GOE on his 4-2, which looked good to me.

No word on Chan's supposed WD in the Canadian media, at least not according to Google news.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Bad falls on the axel and solo flip from Chan.

But the skating skills and choreography are superb.

It's like Buttle never left. :laugh:

:rofl: Clever observation. :agree:

yep, humility is a beautiful quality.

Actually, Patrick is known to be a humble person. He never claimed that he was better than any other skater, and he even said in a CBC interview that he didn't feel that he deserved to win SC.

I knew Kwong would jinx Chan. Only a powerful ancestor can protect a skater from such blatant interference! ;)

:laugh: I swear, the CBC should fire her! I guess Patrick couldn't anticipate that she was a traitor, and thus he didn't think he needed to call upon the spirit of his late coach to reverse the spell. ;)

I made my GPF predictions (which I had very little confidence in, and in fact they look pretty bad at the moment :p) before Kwong published her blog, and although my brain was bogged down by too many scenarios, Patrick was never the winner in any of them. I did correctly guess that he would win both of his GP events, but I somehow "knew" he couldn't maintain this pace for this competition.

A lot of FSUers rolled their eyes at me when I said this, but I think Patrick will have trouble defending his Canadian title. He's the pet favourite of the home judges, so his PCS will be out-of-this-world, but at the very least, keeping his Canadian crown won't be as easy as others expect.

I really hope he's not injured...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Not with this sort of gap, unless he's made some changes to the LP since we last saw it. And I am saying this as a fan. Also, this is the second straight time he's gotten a level 2 for his SL steps. Much as I like what he's doing, it has to be de-exed a bit. It's an SP, not a gala, and he's giving away points.

I looked at the protocols, and I still don't get Kozuka's TES. He was good, he should lead, but over seven points of +GOEs for an SP is a lot. Bennett - in the end Kozuka had a higher mark than Joubert out of his step sequences, so I don't see the problem even if you prefer the former. I wonder why Joubert got a 0 GOE on his 4-2, which looked good to me.

No word on Chan's supposed WD in the Canadian media, at least not according to Google news.

You see I see disagree, 9 points is not that much to make up, one quad combination is worth 11 correct.

The thing is you have to BELIEVE- I do I am a proud Fedor Andreev Fan.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You see I see disagree, 9 points is not that much to make up.
I agree it's not insurmountable, and I've written as much in posts on this thread and on the TEB thread. But Joubert's LP didn't look to me to be that great in terms of transitions and jump layout, and unless it's been improved, he'll need other guys to screw up. And it's always better to control your own destiny.

Binthere

On the Ice
Way to go Jeremy. Different entrance into Triple Axel versus last year seems a plus for him. Korean fans outrageous in their support.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I agree it's not insurmountable, and I've written as much in posts on this thread and on the TEB thread. But Joubert's LP didn't look to me to be that great in terms of transitions and jump layout, and unless it's been improved, he'll need other guys to screw up. And it's always better to control your own destiny.
If the LP stays as he had it in France and Russia, he has no chance to make up those points - only if Kozuka decided to kiss the ice a few times. But if he changes the jump layout (I still don't get the two double Axels towards the end...), gives the performance some fire - it might be possible.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Given his 1/5 success rate in practices (according to his pre event interview), it is more likely that kozuka does not land his quad. But he really needs to at least rotate it. If he pops it, the door is open.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Given his 1/5 success rate in practices (according to his pre event interview), it is more likely that kozuka does not land his quad. But he really needs to at least rotate it. If he pops it, the door is open.
Or he could just leave it out, land 8 Triples and a 2A with his fantastic jumping skills, pick up 1 or 2 +GOE for each jump - that's still very difficult to beat.

If Joubert wants to win, I think a second Quad is due and at least 7 Triples (of course, provided that Kozuka stays strong).

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If Joubert wants to win, I think a second Quad is due and at least 7 Triples (of course, provided that Kozuka stays strong).
Joubert needs imperfect skates from Kozuka and Abbott (both very possible). I also think he needs not just two quads but for one of those to be in combination - for some reason he has been avoiding quad combos in his LPs the last couple of years. He also needs to dump the 2As and repeat his Lz and his flip, even at the risk on an edge call on the latter; because if he does manage to avoid the edge call, that's his best jump.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Joubert needs imperfect skates from Kozuka and Abbott (both very possible). I also think he needs not just two quads but for one of those to be in combination - for some reason he has been avoiding quad combos in his LPs the last couple of years. He also needs to dump the 2As and repeat his Lz and his flip, even at the risk on an edge call on the latter; because if he does manage to avoid the edge call, that's his best jump.

He CAN jump. What he really needs are better spins and transitions. If not he has no chance tomorrow(today?) or in the future.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Beautiful 4toe-2toe combo and 3 axel from Joubert, but then a fall on lutz.

He's killing me with this choreography. :unsure:

2nd! Good.

Just like worlds last year. He lets his guard down on the lutz!

Good job Abbott! So proud of him. Who knew he would be the best man we have so far in the season?

Chan does not like the GPF. Last year he completely bombed too, but came back and won his national title.

Wow Kozuka. This guy is SO consistant. I love his skating....can't wait to see him go all the way. He sure has the goods. If lands that quad, i can't see anybody beating him.

I wonder if Johnny is still sick. The 3 axel is usually no problem. maybe it was just nerves.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I disagree that Kozuka falling on the quad makes it all over... Kozuka has a 5 point lead over Abbott, with a fall on the quad and everything else perfect Kozuka scored like 153, and that was with lower PCS, Kozuka's are rising. Abbott isn't capable of scoring much higher. The only person I think capable of beating Kozuka at this point is Joubert, and that's if Joubert goes out and lands 2/3 quads. Now IF Kozuka messes up majorily than others can win....
Now, if Abbott lands a quad that can change though.

I want to say too that I disagree with the idea that Kozuka's scores were somehow unfair and should be closer to Abbott. Kozuka is a much better jumper than Abbott is, his jumps are like Yu-na's very high quality. Abbott's are not nearly as high quality. All those extra points add up.

Last edited:
I reiterate my problem reading these posts in that they are basically defending hope.

I haven't seen the comp but I can imagine Kozuka winning. I can also imagine Joubert winning. Why not? I don't have a favorite skater so why should I care about who wins? Except I do want the best in that and only that competition to win. How terrible is it to want the best person to win any competition?

Wrlmy

Medalist
Shocked to see Joubert received the second lowest pcs. The crowd really seemed to love his performance (and so did I) that I just assumed he would get massive pcs. With such low pcs, I wonder what his winning chance is like. At this point, it looks certain Kozuka will have advantage over him when they both go clean. Kozuka has been amazingly consistent. But again, it's not unusual for a "rookie" to be that consistent. I wonder how he will handle with pressure of being a favorite from now on.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Shocked to see Joubert received the second lowest pcs. The crowd really seemed to love his performance (and so did I) that I just assumed he would get massive pcs. With such low pcs, I wonder what his winning chance is like. At this point, it looks certain Kozuka will have advantage over him when they both go clean. Kozuka has been amazingly consistent. But again, it's not unusual for a "rookie" to be that consistent. I wonder how he will handle with pressure of being a favorite from now on.

Don't know how much of a favorite he'll be though. I mean in his home country Oda and Daisuke are waiting in the wings.. I think he's pretty consistent. People are saying that Joubert was hit with low transition scores which frankly is fair.