Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Meryl Davis - US Figure Skating's Superstar

caitie

Medalist
Back when they did the Eleanor Rigby FD, Dick Button said Meryl and Charlie had a sexual connection in the dance. And there indeed was a different energy in that performance than we've seen since, IMO. I think Charlie's loyalty to Tanith might limit him somewhat.

Okay, I'm going to get long-winded and possibly weird and suggest that maybe going up against a team who were marketed as sweethearts and known for their romantic chemistry might have influenced Meryl and Charlie to perhaps look at Tessa and Scott and think, okay, that's their thing, not ours. Marina said in an interview that they didn't have the connection Tessa and Scott do so they had to find another way to win. So maybe their chemistry suffered in 2010-2012 because they neglected to prioritize it in the process of looking for those other ways to win? On Tessa and Scott's reality show, we saw them practicing their chemistry. People mocked it or said it was staged (which it was, to some extent) and we also saw Marina constantly telling them stuff like FEEL THE LOVE!!! during their practices, to just go out there and show their love. And I thought it was interesting to see how much Maks prioritized their chemistry in his rehearsal packages with Meryl, like when he was telling her they could just stand and stare at each other and it would be more powerful than anything else they did. And we saw them rehearsing and discussing the embrace in their rumba and the near kiss in their salsa and stuff. I think a lot of people think that's showmancing and just for titillation, but I think there is this idea that chemistry is something that just happens (as if it's either there or it's not) when in actuality chemistry is something that performers can create together. It's not like Maks and Meryl immediately had amazing chemistry. He barely looked at her in their first performance despite her looking at him constantly. Their first two performances really catered to Meryl's Disney/ice princessy appeal, with references to her figure skating and Mickey/Minnie Mouse. They didn't move past that until their foxtrot the third week.

Anyway, I'm just saying that my guess about their MIA chemistry in 2010-2012 would be that they just neglected working on it as much as they should have been -- I don't think it was about Tanith or anything else. I assume they did some soul searching after their losses in 2012 about how to beat Virtue/Moir, and that's around the time they said they were working on their on ice connection. And I do think it's gotten a lot better since then. They seem more connected in general and they have choreographed lots of moments into their routines where they look at each other and connect.

And yeah, Charlie and Meryl definitely have a more Disneyfied, sweet chemistry, but I think that's fine. Charlie and Maks could not be more different. Meryl carries the shade and darkness in most of her programs with Charlie. My favorite quote about them this whole season was a Russian journalist telling Marina that they are like (loosely quoted by memory) something out of a fairy tale and you don't know if Meryl will remain beautiful at the end or transform and bite the prince's throat. With Maks it's totally different, she has this completely opposite role where she is bringing the lightness to their chemistry and he is the more fiery presence. So it's not this simple thing to me, where you can just be like oh she has much better chemistry with Maks and Charlie was holding her back all these years! They're different men and different performers, and it's a different connection that she has with each of them. I appreciate both!

And like her mom mentioned, Meryl herself made the connection between her increased artisticness on the floor and the decreased technical requirements, which totally makes sense. Especially considering that Meryl and Charlie skated against an incredibly talented team like Virtue and Moir and needed every COP point they could milk out of their programs.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh Madison would be wonderful. She's this unique creature: a sweet diva. She's got Uber Presence, but she doesn't come off like a spoiled headcase. Most unusual for a diva. And girlfriend can act up a storm.

lmarie086

Medalist
I wasn't trying to say there was anything wrong with the chemistry Meryl has with Charlie - in an earlier post I said the opposite. I was merely saying g that bringing a romantic component was not a strength of Charlie's, not without more effort.

I do think that certain chemistry was seen as Tessa and Scott's thing initially, until Meryl and Charlie really started to explore that side of their skating more. That was the reason for their Tango FD; it might not be a fan - favorite (though the early version I loved!) but it addressed their weaknesses in part, their connection and the dance factor.

And I've said this before as well, though it was super short the routine with Meryl and Charlie Tuesday night was one of my favorite parts of the whole season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Girl: Madison Chock. Boy: Max Aaron. :yes:

:yes:

Max would be great on the show, I think his hard-work ethic and his sweet temperament would appeal to the viewers (as well as his handsome face, of course).

I also think Jason would be a smash hit - probably a bit more of a "ringer" than others since he cross-trains so many styles but can you imagine that grin lighting up the entire country every Monday night!

(Only potential problem with Max and Jason - do they have a pro girl short enough for them?)

Josh would be one of those who would really benefit, I think. We saw what SOI did for him coming out of his shell on the ice, I think this would have a similar effect.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

Max would be great on the show, I think his hard-work ethic and his sweet temperament would appeal to the viewers (as well as his handsome face, of course).

I also think Jason would be a smash hit - probably a bit more of a "ringer" than others since he cross-trains so many styles but can you imagine that grin lighting up the entire country every Monday night!

(Only potential problem with Max and Jason - do they have a pro girl short enough for them?)

Josh would be one of those who would really benefit, I think. We saw what SOI did for him coming out of his shell on the ice, I think this would have a similar effect.

Witney is 5'3'' and Cheryl is 5'4'', which could work?

Emmy for choreography?

Derek Hough won the 2013 Emmy award for choreography for a primetime television show. Does he have a chance to win it again for his work with Amy this season, plus the Macy dancers?

Or is Maks a stronger candidate for the thrilling choreographic journey that he led Meryl on?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason is 170 cm , according to his bio. Max is 173 cm. Witney might be ok for either of them.

After all, Charlie is only 175 cm., while Sharna is 168 cm.( 5'6")

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Girl: Madison Chock. Boy: Max Aaron. :yes:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Max and the others would be great choices for DWTS. :agree:

Other U.S. skaters whom I would suggest:
Christina Gao, Mirai Nagasu, Mary Beth Marley, Debi Thomas, Rudi Galindo, Brian Boitano, ....[ETA, one more :): Emily Samuelson] ...​

And don't get me started on a list of international skaters ... ;)

Note to sky_fly:
Please save your shilling for Gracie Gold for one of your umpteen threads about her. It does not belong in this thread celebrating Meryl.
Meryl and Gracie are not rivals except in your overactive imagination. GG has been a terrific cheerleader for Meryl and Charlie's participation in DWTS, and I feel sure that Gracie is absolutely thrilled for Meryl, as all their fellow skaters are.​

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Um, when you have Jennifer Lopez gunning for you to win, I think you get a one-up in the Hollywood connections department. https://twitter.com/JLo/status/468533998764191744
That is awesome Mrs. P! I have to say it is pretty awesome that US Dance has an it girl. My daughter is dyslexic and watched the Olympics and DWTS with me. This is what my 7 year said: Mom look!! She has what I have! I am soo happy!! Do you know what this means?! Meryl goes to college and if she is like me that means I can go to college!!! I was already fan and that made me love her more.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That is awesome Mrs. P! I have to say it is pretty awesome that US Dance has an it girl. My daughter is dyslexic and watched the Olympics and DWTS with me. This is what my 7 year said: Mom look!! She has what I have! I am soo happy!! Do you know what this means?! Meryl goes to college and if she is like me that means I can go to college!!! I was already fan and that made me love her more.

Aw... that is an awesome story. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:) :) :) :) :). Made my day!!

Franklin99

Medalist

I wish your daughter all the best in her future endeavors. With her positive outlook and inspiration (Meryl), I know she will be successful.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice

So cute

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The next international skater to make it on DWTS?

The female Turkish ice dancer who may be the most beautiful exotic woman in sports.

I want to marry her and have big redneck ice skating babies named Bubba and Buford.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone! It's a battle for her and very frustrating for her(she is 7 and has an IQ of 125) and was not able to perform to that level. To see Meryl put it out there helped her feel better about it. She has even had me show her all of D/W's past performances. I think Meryl is a great role model for US Figure Skating.

My daughters most favorite D/W program hands down is Bollywood:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone! It's a battle for her and very frustrating for her(she is 7 and has an IQ of 125) and was not able to perform to that level. To see Meryl put it out there helped her feel better about it. She has even had me show her all of D/W's past performances. I think Meryl is a great role model for US Figure Skating.

My daughters most favorite D/W program hands down is Bollywood:)

Best to you and your daughter, MKW. :)

ICYMI back in 2013:
Meryl provided similar inspiration to one of her Classroom Champs students who is dyslexic, as described in this teacher's blog.
http://www.classroomchampions.org/content/197/Blog-A-student-changed-for-the-better

I remember that when the blog was first published, Charlie had tweeted about it. He obviously was very proud of his partner.
@CharlieaWhite
This is (probably) the only thing I'll ever say you have to read- http://www.classroomchampions.org/person/74/Andrea-Wiggins
So awesome!!
8:18 AM - 15 Jan 2013
https://twitter.com/CharlieaWhite/status/291217751744319488

BTW, Meryl recently tweeted that Charlie and she are looking forward to working with more Classroom Champs students next year.
So whether D/W are competing or not, sounds as if they will continue to be partners as CC volunteers. :bow:

p.s. I agree with your daughter: Bollywood is my favorite too. :)

@MK'sWinter: You should send that story to Meryl. I am sure she would be moved.

And also perhaps humbled. I am reminded of the best thing anyone ever thought of to say about Michelle Kwan: "She lived her whole life as if a child were watching."