Michelle | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Michelle

jesslily

Final Flight
It's true that next year by this time, both Cohen and Kwan will be unlikely to compete . But the impact these two ladies have been given to the skating is not replacable by anybody else. I assume that the numbers of skating fans will decrease significantly, and the existed skating fans will watch the skating events less than the time these two ladies still compete. As for the format of Boston Marshall's, I feel it's a mess. First, the time is not right. Before nationals, after grand prix 6 events, skaters are tired. Second, the result of audience votes is ridiculous. They did not vote the skater who should win to win.

Red Dog said:
Actually, I think the audience vote would be more fair WITHOUT popular skaters like Cohen or Kwan. Then again, maybe somebody else will become the audience fav and win regardless of how she skates- go figure :eek:hwell:
Possibly true. But would anyone watch but the die hards. IMO, a sizeable amount of Sasha fans and Kwan fans will disappear after this season.

Joe

In terms of popularity, I think Sasha was a little bit unlucky to come along before Michelle was done. Sasha couldn't be the next Michelle Kwan because we already had a Michelle Kwan. Consequently Sasha became "America's sweetheart" only for a minority of U.S. skating fans.

Do you think Mao Asada could be next in line? She would have to be "America's adopted sweetheart," but figure skating is such an international phenomenon, I can see her charming her way into the affections of American fans -- especially if she wins a bunch of World championships and Olympic medals.

I can see a cheesefest (with audience voting) featuring Mao, Yu Na Kim, Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes.

If you think that might run too much of a risk that U.S. voters would be "ugly Americans" and vote against the international gals, it could be a team -- the Kim/Kimmie team versus the other two, LOL.

MM :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Is it possible for anyone to forget Cohen and Kwan and give an honest opinion of the Marshall's format ?? Remember next year this time, there will, more than likely, be NO COHEN AND NO KWAN!!

Joe

I have no problem with whatever format they have. If it can get ratings up, more power to ABC and USFSA.

btw, I don't have any problem with whatever comments PPD made during their judging. If more "snarking" between fans can get up the rating. Then more power to "sarking/bitching" between fans. :rock:

orchid

On the Ice
Mathman said:
In terms of popularity, I think Sasha was a little bit unlucky to come along before Michelle was done. Sasha couldn't be the next Michelle Kwan because we already had a Michelle Kwan. Consequently Sasha became "America's sweetheart" only for a minority of U.S. skating fans.

Do you think Mao Asada could be next in line? She would have to be "America's adopted sweetheart," but figure skating is such an international phenomenon, I can see her charming her way into the affections of American fans -- especially if she wins a bunch of World championships and Olympic medals.

I can see a cheesefest (with audience voting) featuring Mao, Yu Na Kim, Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes.

If you think that might run too much of a risk that U.S. voters would be "ugly Americans" and vote against the international gals, it could be a team -- the Kim/Kimmie team versus the other two, LOL.

Sasha also could never be the sweetheart because she arrived at the same time as NNN. Should Michelle stop eligible skating, my "next American sweetheart skater" is Naomi Nari Nam. Sooo, glad she is back.

Back to the scenario: should there be an event as described above, I would have to vote for Mao and or Yu-Na. Hands down, more beautiful skating, jumps, spins and artistry.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
orchid said:
Back to the scenario: should there be an event as described above, I would have to vote for Mao and or Yu-Na. Hands down, more beautiful skating, jumps, spins and artistry.
Me too. But will it last that long, at least one of them last long enough to collect the new fans into the sport? ......ppl sometimes just drawn into the familiar names.

R.D.

Record Breaker
IMO

It doesn't matter if Cohen is or is not "America's sweetheart". She has her own legion of rather loyal fans, anyway.

As for Asada- I think she might be liked (like a lot of other international stars), but a true "American sweetheart" is usually American, IIRC.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Public Apology

Joesitz said:
But god forbid some new poster might say Sashasplat and all hell would break loose, to the point of chasing her away.

Joe

Since I am the guilty party being referenced, I offer a public apology. I try to be respectful to all of the GS members, and the competitors. I don't always succeed, and in this case I obviously failed miserably.

DG

Kwan101

Rinkside
I hope Michelle goes for it at the Olympics. Even if she fails, I think her fans will appreciate her trying- I know I will.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:

I don't think Sasha ever thought Michelle would still be sticking around. I also think Sasha thought she would be able to dethrone Michelle and take over Michelle's popularity. I don't fault Sasha for any of these thoughts (if she indeed did have them). In that sense, I agree that Sasha did come along at the "wrong" time. She has had to contend with Michelle's consistancy (when Michelle was putting out clean 6-7 triple jumps programs), making her (Sasha's) little mistakes seem greater than they really were. No doubt that had Michelle gone pro after 2002, Sasha would probably be a three-time National champ now.

I don't know about Mao ever becoming a favorite of American audiences. She is very unlikely to come to the US, other than for tours, and those foreign skaters that have become popular and beloved have done so.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
I don't think Sasha ever thought Michelle would still be sticking around. I also think Sasha thought she would be able to dethrone Michelle and take over Michelle's popularity. I don't fault Sasha for any of these thoughts (if she indeed did have them). In that sense, I agree that Sasha did come along at the "wrong" time. She has had to contend with Michelle's consistancy (when Michelle was putting out clean 6-7 triple jumps programs), making her (Sasha's) little mistakes seem greater than they really were. No doubt that had Michelle gone pro after 2002, Sasha would probably be a three-time National champ now.

It very well may have been. But all these what-ifs do not change the past. What's happened has happened, and now we move on. JMO

ETA: It's also very possible that without MK, the US might only have two olympic berths for Torino.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'm a huge MK fan, but I do have soft spot for Sasha. I have to agree with what MM and Lucy had to say.......Sasha was just born at "wrong" time. And Michelle is just an excemptional consistancy competetor that US has to see in years.

If Michelle retires after this season, I really hope Sasha stays. Otherwise US's 3 worlds berthes, which had been kept for so many years, will soon diminish to 2.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
IMO

As for Asada- I think she might be liked (like a lot of other international stars), but a true "American sweetheart" is usually American, IIRC.

Well America has adopted several skaters as if their own: Katarina Witt and Oksana Baiul

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Katy Taylor and Kimmie Meissner will become very popular with fans.

I don't see that so much with Emily Hughes. After having been on the senior scene for less than a year, she seems to feel entitled to all the perks of an established skating star. I could understand that if she had had a spectacular pair of performances at Nationals, but she didn't. According to her sister Sarah, Emily won't even watch the ladies events at Torino because it's "too painful". By not watching the ladies at Torino, she won't know what to expect at Worlds next month, so she'll be doing herself no favors.

R.D.

Record Breaker
That was a conjecture on SARAH'S part. I don't think she really knew whether or not Emily was going to watch it (correct me if I'm wrong).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a recent interview, Sarah said that Emily told her she wasn't going to watch the ladies event in Torino.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh. I wasn't aware of that.

I wouldn't blame her. She must be disappointed, really. Of course when the cameras come on she will be all smiles and say it's alright.

chuckm said:
I don't see that so much with Emily Hughes. After having been on the senior scene for less than a year, she seems to feel entitled to all the perks of an established skating star.
I have not seen any evidence that she feels so entitled. (?) On the contrary, to me she seems quite level headed and modest about her accomplishments so far.

MM

Last edited: