Michelle | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Michelle

There is a difference to facing judges as is done in American Idle because in that show the contestants are non professional or at least not in the mainstream of singing. They are not known.

In Dancing with the Stars, the contestants were celebrities not known for the dancing skills

In the Marshalls, they are well known sports people put on display before uncomfortable judges. Let me know who enjoyed that segment. I can then form and opinion of your tastes.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
The bad thing was each was told in front of the OTHER skaters. Normally, feedback is done on a one-to-one basis.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I hated it Joe, and it had nothing to do with Michelle. I was cringing when they did it with the men. It just was so yucky, for lack of a better term.

I can't understand why (if they were so insistent on having this type of format), they didn't just make it a total fun event and let the fans vote. Then it would have been crystal clear that it was just really for fun and a chance for the fans to say who they like best. When you start mixing in judges, who were trying to critique the skating that day, with fans just wanting the chance to vote for their favorite ... well, it made no sense to me.
I've said previously, that this kind of format might be a fun thing to do at the spring cheesefest, when the season is over and the skaters are in a more carefree frame of mind.
This just didn't work for me.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
klykhorkina said:
:rofl: JAJAJAJA..... You'll hate me but.... is imposible to her to win anything from now on....JAJAJA:rofl:

Ever wonder why you're bored and lonely? I could hazard a guess... :disapp:

mzheng

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
The bad thing was each was told in front of the OTHER skaters. Normally, feedback is done on a one-to-one basis.
It is certainly not a good taste to skaters.....but to think about it is made to TV event, they have to say something to fill up the blank.

USFS may try something new to see if can draw some new blood of fans into the viewer.......had they advertised the event more, knowing you can vote in real time, it may draw in even more young viewers.

Joesitz said:
There is a difference to facing judges as is done in American Idle because in that show the contestants are non professional or at least not in the mainstream of singing. They are not known.

In Dancing with the Stars, the contestants were celebrities not known for the dancing skills

In the Marshalls, they are well known sports people put on display before uncomfortable judges. Let me know who enjoyed that segment. I can then form and opinion of your tastes.
Joe
Joe, you've been in dance classes and as a professional. It's de rigeur to get creamed in front of the entire class of about 30 of your peers by the instructor, who may hate you just because of your gender or vice versa.

At least all the men and two of the women are professional and very experienced. Besides, Peggy, Dick, and even Peter the Dink simply could not have been nicer. Dick joked about Weiss's tornado. Weiss will cry all the way to the bank.

As for Michelle, she got two sessions of gushfests for crying out loud. "We know you've been injured and we're just sooooo happy to see you back. It wasn't your best performance, but we can't wait to see you skating great at Nationals....You know what I love about you is how big your heart is! It's so big I could just fall into it and it's what makes everyone love your skating...gush, gush, a thousand times gush." If that was "tough to take" SIGN ME UP! Plus they all got PAID for it!

As someone else said, Michelle is an athlete, not a fairy princess. And I add that she's not a religious icon, either. Okay, she's a religious icon if you want her to be--freedom of religion!

But the Peggy, Peter, Dick thing--come on. Someone compared it to "American Idol." I think it's much worse for some teenager from Alabama picked out of millions of applicants facing Simon Cowell on a panel every week--the teenager hopes. Obviously this is all JMHO, but here it is anyway: Love your favorite skater(s) to kingdom come, but get a grip.

Rgirl

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
But the Peggy, Peter, Dick thing--come on. Someone compared it to "American Idol." I think it's much worse for some teenager from Alabama picked out of millions of applicants facing Simon Cowell on a panel every week--the teenager hopes. Obviously this is all JMHO, but here it is anyway: Love your favorite skater(s) to kingdom come, but get a grip.
:rock:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
As for Michelle, she got two sessions of gushfests for crying out loud. "We know you've been injured and we're just sooooo happy to see you back. It wasn't your best performance, but we can't wait to see you skating great at Nationals....You know what I love about you is how big your heart is! It's so big I could just fall into it and it's what makes everyone love your skating...gush, gush, a thousand times gush." If that was "tough to take" SIGN ME UP! Plus they all got PAID for it!

As someone else said, Michelle is an athlete, not a fairy princess. And I add that she's not a religious icon, either. Okay, she's a religious icon if you want her to be--freedom of religion!

Rgirl

:clap: :clap:

Thank you, Rgirl... If the comments towards MK at Marshall's is terrible & rude, then I'd say most GSers are living charmed lives...

I think that Alabama kid would get a lesson from her Media experience. She will appreciate this in years to come.

I think Marshalls wanted high ratings and demanded the panel not to coddle the contestants since they don't in American Idle, and that's what brings on the ratings. It's a media thing.

Imo, figure skating fans are desperate to see skating any which way they can especially when it is with the same old usual suspects. Nothing wrong with having a legititmate competition or having a pre-Nationals exhibition program on a lazy Sundary afternoon (best time to get the family interested).

My questions: Did this 'show' bring in beaucoup ratings for the Network and was Mr. Marshall pleased with this? and

Are GS members happy with this format or would they prefer another type of competition?

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rgirl said:
You know what I love about you is how big your heart is! It's so big I could just fall into it and it's what makes everyone love your skating Rgirl
I've never understood this comment. Anyone care to explain.

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
I've never understood this comment. Anyone care to explain.

Dee

The comment also reflects that her love of the sport is obvious when she skates. & her passion for skating is always evident when she hits the ice...

She has the "it" factor... She's aslo extremely likable with the advantage of growing up in the spotlight with grace & a calmness the belies her ambition. Her mental strenght comes across as strength of character ie heart. Kwan is able to capture the audience & turn a skating routine into a personal expression that viewers can see & feel.

Not sure if others agree with me, but that's always been my take on Button's comments regarding her heart...

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
The comment also reflects that her love of the sport is obvious when she skates. & her passion for skating is always evident when she hits the ice...

She has the "it" factor... She's aslo extremely likable with the advantage of growing up in the spotlight with grace & a calmness the belies her ambition. Her mental strenght comes across as strength of character ie heart. Kwan is able to capture the audience & turn a skating routine into a personal expression that viewers can see & feel.

Not sure if others agree with me, but that's always been my take on Button's comments regarding her heart...

Yeah. I agree. She basically growing up on screen in front of FS viewers. And throrgh years she's been always displaying the grace on winning, dignity on lose. Take up the responsible if she diddn't skate well, no excuses, no whinning about judges. All these years never created slightly 'scandulas' among the rinkside gossipy. With all her achievements, she is still a very much down to the ground person easy going with her fellow skaters and the ppl around her....I guess this is just what mass American want to see in their idol. And strive for......

To me it is the courage that she kept going and striving for the goal she's being set. After two lost in O.....with the all achivement that she had, she still has the disire and courage kept going.....Just reading what the dissings she got among the medias and FS is enough discourage, imo, (sure she may not read them, but I or us MK fans read them) but seeing her keeping going for me it's enough for admiring her and loving her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:clap:
mzheng said:
Yeah. I agree. She basically growing up on screen in front of FS viewers. And throrgh years she's been always displaying the grace on winning, dignity on lose. Take up the responsible if she diddn't skate well, no excuses, no whinning about judges. All these years never created slightly 'scandulas' among the rinkside gossipy. With all her achievements, she is still a very much down to the ground person easy going with her fellow skaters and the ppl around her....I guess this is just what mass American want to see in their idol. And strive for......

To me it is the courage that she kept going and striving for the goal she's being set. After two lost in O.....with the all achivement that she had, she still has the disire and courage kept going.....Just reading what the dissings she got among the medias and FS is enough discourage, imo, (sure she may not read them, but I or us MK fans read them) but seeing her keeping going for me it's enough for admiring her and loving her.
:clap: If a parent had any control over the athlete their child held up to emmulate & admire, then Kwan would be an ideal choice... Never mind placements or popularity, Kwan is simply a good role model for athletes ~ in both skating and sports in general. And there's nothing wrong with that... regarless of who you personaly prefer or root for...

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Something to clear.

I know I'm labeled as an ardent Kwan fan at this board. But I don't worship her. I'm not even a religiouse person. (but I do superstuouse sometimes. lol). She might caught my eye first as a cute young skater, but it was late her grace, dignity, courage etc. made me an ardent fan of her on and off ice. I admire and love her as a skater and as a fellow human being not the GODESS. For her possess these good features as human being. My consiouse is enough to tell me not to worship her as GODESS, since GODESS can do anything those features would not be so special in my eyes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Something to clear.

I know I'm labeled as an ardent Kwan fan at this board. But I don't worship her. I'm not even a religiouse person. (but I do superstuouse sometimes. lol). She might caught my eye first as a cute young skater, but it was late her grace, dignity, courage etc. made me an ardent fan of her on and off ice. I admire and love her as a skater and as a fellow human being not the GODESS. For her possess these good features as human being. My consiouse is enough to tell me not to worship her as GODESS, since GODESS can do anything those features would not be so special in my eyes.

:thumbsup:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Something to clear.

Exactly! I don't worship at the alter of Kwan... But I have been known to scarifice a chicken or two ... :rock:

The most imporatant thing though is to not to wake the skate gods ...

Rgirl said:

Rgirl

But god forbid some new poster might say Sashasplat and all hell would break loose, to the point of chasing her away.

Still, why not comments on the format and forgetting about the two divas. Would you watch next time out without them in it? or would you go more for the sport of GP Finals?

Just inquiring.

Joe

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well, that places me in a conundrum then!:laugh:

I don't like ( and never have) the GP Series for one thing. I liked it better when they were separated competitions not combined by Speedy and his gang under one umbrella. Ergo, I rarely watch them. I just read about the outcomes, download the skaters I want to watch, and that's that. Oh, but I did watch a couple of them this year because there was nothing else I was doing at the time.

I do NOT like the format of "Skating Idol" (not Idle, joesitz, which suggests that someone isn't working:laugh: ) so I doubt I would watch it again unless someone can guarantee me that I wouldn't have to watch Michael Weiss skate.:laugh:

So for the sport of figure skating I watch Campbells, Marshalls (when it was normal), Nationals, Euros and Worlds. And the Olympics. For pure entertainment I watch everything else that has nothing to do with competition as a sport with anonymous judges who still seem to have problems with PCS scores just like under the old 6.0 system.

Is it possible for anyone to forget Cohen and Kwan and give an honest opinion of the Marshall's format ?? Remember next year this time, there will, more than likely, be NO COHEN AND NO KWAN!!

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I think the audience vote would be more fair WITHOUT popular skaters like Cohen or Kwan. Then again, maybe somebody else will become the audience fav and win regardless of how she skates- go figure :eek:hwell: