Mikhail Kolyada Withdraws from Olympics due to COVID-19 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada Withdraws from Olympics due to COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I swear if Dany effing G is the reason that Kamila Valieva can't win Olympic gold... the fact that he and Kogan are GETTING ON A PLANE despite the fact that they BOTH tested positive is INSANE. I could understand one false positive, but two? They're going to get turned away in Beijing, along with probably half the team, and it'll be an even bigger mess.

On a positive note, all of Team Japan is negative and ready to head out soon!
all Canadians were negative before getting to China... let's hope the Japanese team remains negative too !!! regarding the Russians... when negative people turn positive in China, I doubt a PCR positive will turn suddenly negative upon landing to China LOL

Country
Norway
all Canadians were negative before getting to China... let's hope the Japanese team remains negative too !!! regarding the Russians... when negative people turn positive in China, I doubt a PCR positive will turn suddenly negative upon landing to China LOL
That is what i´m thinking too... and if they believe so they are going to be very surprised :palmf:

welp 3 more days of waiting until the all important Beijing Airport and Olympics Village check-in covid testing.

I bet for the Russian fans this is going to be as nerve wracking as the actual competition

I know!! This is so stressful. Why on earth are they not flying in before Tuesday? That´s like 2 days before the Team Event start. They are taking crazy risks all the way.

Edit: Ok not 2 days, it´s starting the 8th isn´t it? So a week before? *confused*

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
That is what i´m thinking too... and if they believe so they are going to be very surprised :palmf:

I know!! This is so stressful. Why on earth are they not flying in before Tuesday? That´s like 2 days before the Team Event start. They are taking crazy risks all the way.
So what day are they landing in China??? So I can be released from my prison!

Country
Norway
Never mind i´m mixing up the Team Event and singles event, the Team Event is starting on February 4th so it´s only 3 days after they arrive ...:(

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I swear if Dany effing G is the reason that Kamila Valieva can't win Olympic gold... the fact that he and Kogan are GETTING ON A PLANE despite the fact that they BOTH tested positive is INSANE. I could understand one false positive, but two? They're going to get turned away in Beijing, along with probably half the team, and it'll be an even bigger mess.

On a positive note, all of Team Japan is negative and ready to head out soon!
I knew Japan and Roman would test negative 😛; Following rules and being disciplined does wonders.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
At this point, if Russia does lose a lot of their top skaters to quarantine and positive tests (which I worry will happen) I will be absolutely gutted for the skaters but at the same time livid at the adults who made such poor decisions. All of the singles skaters are still eighteen or younger. It is up to their coaching teams and the Russian Fed to protect their athletes. And yet every time I go online I see poor decision after poor decision is being made by those adults. Flying to Krasnoyarsk, not wearing masks, bringing extra people into the bubble, letting people with positive tests fly.... The fed and the coaches all know how strict the protocols are and the infectiousness of Omicron and yet have done next to nothing. I feel so awful for all the skaters, especially in singles, because for the most part THIS IS NOT THEIR FAULT. They are doing what they have been told and following the examples set by the adults in their lives. Most of them are under 18, and even the pairs skaters are very young with the exception of T/M. I hope for their sake that they all can skate in Beijing, and I will be so sad if they can't because they don't deserve to miss the Olympics this way. I would like to give a hand to Step/Buk, who decided not to head to Krasnoyarsk and just stay isolated. At this point, they might be the last ones standing. It's been shown by the USA, Italy, Canada, etc. that skaters can fly to the Olympics safely and not get COVID. At that's the worst bit. This was probably preventable.

Hopefully I'm wrong and everything goes smoothly, because all of the Russian skaters fought for their spots and success and deserve a chance to stand on the podium.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
True.

But let Daniel and Kogan stay with Petrosian and Akatieva? That would be best for the Olympic skaters, but Petrosian & Akatieva need to test negative in early March. It would be better if they did not catch the disease, since one can test positive long after symptoms disappear.
Once they get negative tests to confirm it was false positive.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
At this point, if Russia does lose a lot of their top skaters to quarantine and positive tests (which I worry will happen) I will be absolutely gutted for the skaters but at the same time livid at the adults who made such poor decisions. All of the singles skaters are still eighteen or younger. It is up to their coaching teams and the Russian Fed to protect their athletes. And yet every time I go online I see poor decision after poor decision is being made by those adults. Flying to Krasnoyarsk, not wearing masks, bringing extra people into the bubble, letting people with positive tests fly.... The fed and the coaches all know how strict the protocols are and the infectiousness of Omicron and yet have done next to nothing. I feel so awful for all the skaters, especially in singles, because for the most part THIS IS NOT THEIR FAULT. They are doing what they have been told and following the examples set by the adults in their lives. Most of them are under 18, and even the pairs skaters are very young with the exception of T/M. I hope for their sake that they all can skate in Beijing, and I will be so sad if they can't because they don't deserve to miss the Olympics this way. I would like to give a hand to Step/Buk, who decided not to head to Krasnoyarsk and just stay isolated. At this point, they might be the last ones standing. It's been shown by the USA, Italy, Canada, etc. that skaters can fly to the Olympics safely and not get COVID.
Stepanova/Bukin were thankfully so lucky that they had the chance to take this decision, because they were still in Moskau, when the first positive tests occur. The pairs teams from Moskvina and the male skaters were already in the trainings camp when it happened, so they didn´t have that choice.
But I still can´t understand why Eteri and her team didn´t stay in Moskau as well. And why doesn´t send Eteri Daniil home to protect her skaters?

prorussian fan

On the Ice
I love and am a huge fan of the figure skating team in Russia but at this point I am mentally preparing myself for the worst case scenario, after all the Olympics are just one more competition in a whole cycle of events.
I will feel better to think that they will not be and feel happy to see those who were able to arrive.
At this point I am preparing to continue enjoying the event and see Sakamoto and Sui/Han take that Olympic title without feeling angry or disappointed.

pearly

Record Breaker
Literally anything can happen.

In Stockholm, the Armenian team tested positive and got a second negative test, but not in time to compete.

Barbara just tested false positive in Tallin.

Tracy tested positive in Nashville, we never heard anything about Jason getting sick.

(Not sure if any of the false positives were PCR or rapid tests.)

prorussian fan

On the Ice
I suppose that if Daniil tested positive (even if it is "false positive"), he will be isolated from the team, if in the following days he tests positive again he will stay in Russia because it would be stupid for him to take that plane.
Those who were in contact with him and could have been infected will test positive on Monday and therefore will not be able to fly to Beijing on Tuesday.
From personal experience, if they used masks properly they can avoid contagion, in addition, being asymptomatic decreases the risk of being contagious.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
I suppose that if Daniil tested positive (even if it is "false positive"), he will be isolated from the team, if in the following days he tests positive again he will stay in Russia because it would be stupid for him to take that plane.
Those who were in contact with him and could have been infected will test positive on Monday and therefore will not be able to fly to Beijing on Tuesday.
From personal experience, if they used masks properly they can avoid contagion, in addition, being asymptomatic decreases the risk of being contagious.
To be honest I´m not very confident that Team Russia is very masks properly :slink:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
With Omicron, masks are just not enough. You basically need a respirator. But what Sadovsky is doing is the next best thing. Also, they can’t wear masks while skating, and the air sits next to the ice, so even with two teams on the skating rink in Krasnoyarsk as shown in the yesterday’s video from there, let’s just be glad Mishin’s skaters don’t skate with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.