Mikhail Kolyada Withdraws from Olympics due to COVID-19 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada Withdraws from Olympics due to COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
To be honest I´m not very confident that Team Russia is very masks properly :slink:
From what I've seen and read on Instagram, at least they are "extreme" precautions.
I saw some clips of Kondratiuk and Sinitsina/Katsalapov training with masks. They train in small groups on the track.
I read that the girls sleep in separate rooms to ensure their safety, at this point I think they also eat individually.
On Tuesday all the unknowns will be cleared up, we will see what happens.

Country
Norway
Literally anything can happen.

In Stockholm, the Armenian team tested positive and got a second negative test, but not in time to compete.

Barbara just tested false positive in Tallin.

Tracy tested positive in Nashville, we never heard anything about Jason getting sick.

(Not sure if any of the false positives were PCR or rapid tests.)
I believe false negative can happen, but not very often. What is weird is both Danny G and Alexander testing positive, and claiming it´s false positive. It would be very weird if both of them got a false positive at the same time.

It seems Kogan has an impression that he is false positive because he has no symptoms, but he should know by now that you can be asymptomatic.

pearly

Record Breaker
I believe false negative can happen, but not very often. What is weird is both Danny G and Alexander testing positive, and claiming it´s false positive. It would be very weird if both of them got a false positive at the same time.
Right. One, maybe, but two?

But what I really want to know is how did that story get out in the first place.

Country
Norway

But what I really want to know is how did that story get out in the first place.
Yeah me too. I´m surprised there is no more information yet. I´m not sure if that is a bad or good sign. I think it´s a sign that the situation is a bit unclear still. Could go both ways.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
It would be unfortunate (not surprising) if the ENTIRE team were infected, but as has been commented here, in Norway there has been an outbreak in an entire team.

That is why I recommend all fans of Russian figure skating to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario and enjoy the event.
By probability and statistics I think that at least one member of each discipline should be in Beijing and be able to do the team event.

P.S. If the girls can't make it to Beijing, at least Zagitova will remain the only legitimate Russian Olympic champion admired around the world.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
It would be unfortunate (not surprising) if the ENTIRE team were infected, but as has been commented here, in Norway there has been an outbreak in an entire team.

That is why I recommend all fans of Russian figure skating to mentally prepare for the worst case scenario and enjoy the event.
By probability and statistics I think that at least one member of each discipline should be in Beijing and be able to do the team event.

P.S. If the girls can't make it to Beijing, at least Zagitova will remain the only legitimate Russian Olympic champion admired around the world.
I know you are right, but if you are emotionally invested in skaters, it is very difficult (or impossible) to stay calm. :( If Mishina/Galliamov will be tested positive and can´t go to the Olympics, the games would already be over for me.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada

It seems Kogan has an impression that he is false positive because he has no symptoms, but he should know by now that you can be asymptomatic.
From my understanding the false positives/false negatives only really happen if ones CT values are right on the threshhold. So even if one is negative, it's only barely.

More typically they arise because the test is administered poorly. It sounds like to even get on the plane you need a negative, and one performed by a lab approved by the Chinese consulate. Which should, ideally, provide some assurance that the test is administered properly.

But again, who knows with this bunch

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic

This is what I'm so worried about. If it is circulating the entire team, there's a very good chance the alternates are also sick. Russia has such a strong field this year, and so many of the skaters probably won't continue for another quad. This is their moment to shine, but there is an ever-increasing chance that Russia will have few skaters at these Olympics. I will be especially heartbroken for T/M and the women, who realistically won't be able to continue for another quad and have such a strong shot at the podium. Please let us all be wrong... no matter whether you like these skaters or not you cannot deny that it would be so awful if they missed the Olympics.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
With Omicron, masks are just not enough. You basically need a respirator. But what Sadovsky is doing is the next best thing. Also, they can’t wear masks while skating, and the air sits next to the ice, so even with two teams on the skating rink in Krasnoyarsk as shown in the yesterday’s video from there, let’s just be glad Mishin’s skaters don’t skate with the others.
I saw many pictures of Canadian athletes wearing respirators on the plane.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
For Norway : the A team may be out... in cross country skiing... they won 14 medals in Korea... it's the biggest sporting tradition in winter games... much more significant than figure skating for any country. I am already devastated... Their B team could win a bunch of medals too... but the thing is that they have NOT been doing high altitude camps and probably would not be competition ready. One article I read said that this could mean a bunch more medals for ... Russia In cross country skiing...

I thought this was hilarious and tragic at the same time... because we could have reversed olympics where Russia doesn't get their medals in figure skating where they are clear favourites but get some in cross country skiing where they were still going to be a factor but not the clear favourites....

I also find it ironic that on this forum, people complain all the time about the quotas because they would like to see the "best athletes" not just 2 or 3 from each country... well... at this point, the best athletes are the ones who manage to enter the bubble.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

Not really, I was on a cruise and everyone was required to be tested 3 times within 7 days, so almost 3,000 people getting 3 tests, we had a few false positives where the initial rapid test was positive, PCR test were taken and came back negative for everyone that had tested positive on the rapid. The amount of times and number of people that are getting tested is going to increase the chances of false positives happening.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not really, I was on a cruise and everyone was required to be tested 3 times within 7 days, so almost 3,000 people getting 3 tests, we had a few false positives where the initial rapid test was positive, PCR test were taken and came back negative for everyone that had tested positive on the rapid. The amount of times and number of people that are getting tested is going to increase the chances of false positives happening.
It is less likely to get false positive with PCR tests though, at least if I understood properly... So two false PCR positives? Interesting to say the least.

Ziotic

Medalist
What happens if someone tests positive between the team event and the individual? Are they allowed to be subbed?

For example C/B do the team, then test positive before the individual RD, could they then sub in G/P?

Technically they are two different events, how late in the game can subs be made?

prorussian fan

On the Ice
What happens if someone tests positive between the team event and the individual? Are they allowed to be subbed?

For example C/B do the team, then test positive before the individual RD, could they then sub in G/P?

Technically they are two different events, how late in the game can subs be made?
With the strict sanitary measures in China, I imagine that these cases will be fewer. Entering the bubble, I think the athletes will stay safe from getting infected.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i doubt there would be enough time to fly in subs...

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada

It sounds like they can, as long as it's before the individual event deadline and the replacements are already listed as alternates... but you'd want to be damn sure cause the replaced skater(s) are inactiveated.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany

I don´t think it is allowed to sub in skaters once the games have started. Otherwise Russia could have put Lisa Tuktamysheva in the team event and then say, she has an injury and put in Sasha, Anna and Kamila for the individual event.

Ziotic

Medalist
All of the answers kind of touch on different points but; we know subs are there or close in some cases, and it would allow teams to get around the 3 quota. So I was looking for if there is a hard rule on the matter

Vemvane

On the Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.