Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu to try triple Axel @ nationals

jaylee

Medalist
And 2% for Joannie Rochette. She also did lots of flips and lutzes with zero incorrect edges!

Interesting stats but want to point out that the the analysis doesn't differentiate between downgrades of jumps done solo versus in combination. Rochette may only have had one triple toeloop downgraded, but it came on a rare (for her) attempt of a triple flip/triple toe in the 2008 Four Continents SP. She didn't try very many triple/triple combinations throughout that quad, likely because she couldn't consistently rotate the backend 3T.

It's more difficult to rotate a triple as the backend of a combination than it is to rotate it as a solo triple. So, while her DG/UR % is impressively low, it's a bit misleading when compared to skaters like Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim, and Rachael Flatt, all of whom were fairly consistently attempting 3/3s or higher risk jumps (3As for Mao).

Nigel

On the Ice
Interesting stats but want to point out that the the analysis doesn't differentiate between downgrades of jumps done solo versus in combination. Rochette may only have had one triple toeloop downgraded, but it came on a rare (for her) attempt of a triple flip/triple toe in the 2008 Four Continents SP. She didn't try very many triple/triple combinations throughout that quad, likely because she couldn't consistently rotate the backend 3T.

It's more difficult to rotate a triple as the backend of a combination than it is to rotate it as a solo triple. So, while her DG/UR % is impressively low, it's a bit misleading when compared to skaters like Miki Ando, Mao Asada, Yu-Na Kim, and Rachael Flatt, all of whom were fairly consistently attempting 3/3s or higher risk jumps (3As for Mao).

yes, perhaps the NYTimes summary did not differentiate if the jump was in combination, but it does look at all the jumps. And, yes, Nagasu did struggle with UR even back in 2010. It's always been a problem. I think as her body has matured, it has become more of an issue, IMO, as she doesn't quite have the "pop" on her toe pick jumps like she did as a 14/15 year old. and, she has a habit of doing a "power pull" for lack of better terminology, to pull out of the landing in her jumps (especially when she was younger). I would have thought Zakrajsek would have corrected that habit by now.

"I didn't realize that either. 33% of the jumps she attempted were UR, compared to 3% for Flatt."

Flatt had "0" flips called for UR in the summary. Wonder where those UR flips came from in her free skate in Vancouver, LOL . Flatt's bread and butter jumps were her 3Lutz and 3Flip. 0 UR in 35 attempts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYQRDoEclo

Anyways, back to the 3A for Mirai. Hoping she can continue to show progress on ALLLLLLL of her jumps ;-)

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Flatt had "0" flips called for UR in the summary. Wonder where those UR flips came from in her free skate in Vancouver, LOL . Flatt's bread and butter jumps were her 3Lutz and 3Flip. 0 UR in 35 attempts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYQRDoEclo

Still don't see the UR on both flips. So strange. She was the first to skate, and it seems like they wanted to keep her down in case the favorites falter. Crazy judging in Vancouver. She should have been 5th over Miki.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still don't see the UR on both flips. So strange. She was the first to skate, and it seems like they wanted to keep her down in case the favorites falter. Crazy judging in Vancouver. She should have been 5th over Miki.

Very true. Rachael was judged unfairly in Vancouver. I think they wanted to make sure Joannie had a shot at the podium.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Very true. Rachael was judged unfairly in Vancouver. I think they wanted to make sure Joannie had a shot at the podium.

I still believe (no evidence except my gut feeling :slink:) that Rachel was unjustly punished for being seen as a potential medal threat if by chance Joannie bombed. She skated early in the group and was suddenly pinged for ur jumps when she never was before. Joannie hadn't skated yet and if she was less then perfect (and knowing Joannie is was more then possible) it could have ended up far too close for comfort if Rachel was scored higher.

It was clear as day, even at worlds the year before, that the podium was going to be Yuna gold and Joannie on the podium with her. And with Mao being a bit shaky herself they even tried to push Joannie as silver (Joannie NEVER should have been as close to Mao after the SP as she was!). Joannie was rather inconsistent and considering the Olympics were in Canada they needed to protect her and Rachel became a victim of it. In the end Joannie did more then enough to earn a spot on the podium by herself but it couldn't be risked.

People go on and on about Sochi but Vancouver was just as ridiculous yet no one talks about it

yuzushenko

On the Ice
It's fine to post it, but to commit her to doing it at Nationals is different.

im 100% sure he didn't just commit her to doing it without her consent. pretty sure these conversations took place between the two of them, she might have even told him to write that, who knows, but it's kind of disrespectful to assume he would even do such a thing without her consent. they've been training the 3A for months, of course they have had this conversation before. how can you be training that at that level of success and not discuss it? especially somebody as hyper-organized as tom z. social media is very orchestrated, believe me nobody posts video with that caption without some serious thought put into it. :D