Mirai Nagasu | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

Bag of Goldfish

Rinkside
I'm so sorry Polina is hurt, but I'm so happy for Mirai. I have to admit, I was kind of expecting one of the US ladies would be forced to drop out, I'm just psychic that way..

Danibellerika

Medalist
I'm so sorry Polina is hurt, but I'm so happy for Mirai. I have to admit, I was kind of expecting one of the US ladies would be forced to drop out, I'm just psychic that way..

I hope you're psychic enough to have a sense that she could be our miracle medal :p

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I thought I had all the American ladies done, but I missed Mirai.

Her OP is now all spruced up for Worlds.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
MIRAI IS GOING???? AHH YESSS this means it's a good thing I get to see LP ladies practice ;) ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What does the future hold for Mirai? She finally made it back to the world championships and finished a very respectable 10th place with two strong programs. Can she build on this and challenge the top women in the world?

Imagine

Medalist
The next step is to get a better FP! I love her SP though so that can stay. She was also working on the 3A at some point so that could be looked into again.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
It makes me so happy to see her finally compete in Worlds after all those years of not being there. :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was so great to see Mirai skate her programs live and deliver two solid performances. I also attended the final ladies' practice and while I missed her run-thru she stayed to sign a bunch of autographs and take selfies with the young girls who lined up to meet her.

The crowd loved her and she got such cheers and standing Os for both her programs. I think 10th place is good for her and while her scores aren't quite in the 200+ club I think she'll get there next season.

samson

Medalist
I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does next season. She sounds like she's really finding a new stride right now and also her and Tom Z seem to be forming a strong relationship as skater/coach. It was so sweet to see him leaping for joy after her short program and to have seen the way they've really gone to hell and back a few times as a team already and continue to learn and grow and now deliver.

Demons was an incredible vehicle for her but I think she's ready for new material in both the short and long. It also looks like she's qualified for Envelope A Tier 2 funding with her 10th place finish at worlds so if they grant her that that could also be a great opportunity for her training to capitalize on the momentum she has from this season. Seeing her compete live was really something else. So glad I got to witness it. :)

jrodlopez

Rinkside
Before thinking about new programs and competitions for next year, Mirai needs to focus on maintaining/improving her fitness and consistency on the rotation of her jumps. I know that she has mentioned before in interviews that she sometimes struggles with staying fit. It's important for her to keep up the hard work in the off-season and to start strong at the beginning of the season and into the GP events with hope of placing well and maybe winning a medal.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Before thinking about new programs and competitions for next year, Mirai needs to focus on maintaining/improving her fitness and consistency on the rotation of her jumps. I know that she has mentioned before in interviews that she sometimes struggles with staying fit. It's important for her to keep up the hard work in the off-season and to start strong at the beginning of the season and into the GP events with hope of placing well and maybe winning a medal.

She will do that. All of her jumps at 4CC were rotated and clean. She was told a week before Worlds that she was definitely going and I'm sure there were nerves there, which is understandable. She stood up and and worked through her nerves well. I think she will be even better in the Fall. She finished top 10. As for her emoting that was the best she had performed Demons! Great things are coming for her:)

tulosai

Record Breaker
She will do that. All of her jumps at 4CC were rotated and clean. She was told a week before Worlds that she was definitely going and I'm sure there were nerves there, which is understandable. She stood up and and worked through her nerves well. I think she will be even better in the Fall. She finished top 10. As for her emoting that was the best she had performed Demons! Great things are coming for her:)

Yes, that was the best she has emoted in years, probably literally since 2010. I think the crowd probably did help, but this shows either way that the exuberant, versatile performer she was is still there inside her and I think that's so exciting :cheer: I personally can't wait for next year!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm so proud of Mirai! :hap10: She did a great job at Worlds and on relatively short notice!

This season, her overall best score was 193.86. She's inching ever closer to that 200+ mark, and in her SP she's inching ever closer to her PB of 70.40. She has got to keep working on those URs which cost her crucial points. She and TomZ must keep working on her PCS score, which also went up this season, but she's still not quite there yet. And, hopefully, she will get a new choreographer, one who could really bring out her inner diva! :cool: A year or so ago, Rohene Ward tweeted that he would LOVE to work with Mirai - hint hint - but she apparently did not take the hint. I think he could come up with something interesting for Mirai, and so could some other choreographers!

noskates

Record Breaker
So happy for Mirai. The crowd was behind her 110% and she really sold her program. I had a friend close by when she came off the ice after her skate ripped again and he got a close-up photo of the skate. It looked like it had been patched at one point and then ripped next to the patch. I realize she had no idea initially she would be going to Worlds but I think her team needed to plan for it just in case. To me this was gross mismanagement of a skater. I'm just glad it all worked out. I've lost trust in Mirai over the past few years but her long program at Boston was truly inspiring. I hope that she gets a lot more confidence from this and moves on. OH - and I would LOVE to see Rohene work with her and do something different.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So is Mirai going to get two GP assignments?

Yes! Top 12 automatically gets 2. :)

Anyway here to give my :cheer: for Mirai. I truly glad she got her "Demons" out in Boston. I am so glad she made the most of this opportunity and she really should be proud of her progress this season.

Her emotional vulnerability to the audience was really touching, which made it easy to be behind her, as noskates pointed out.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It was so great to see Mirai skate her programs live and deliver two solid performances. I also attended the final ladies' practice and while I missed her run-thru she stayed to sign a bunch of autographs and take selfies with the young girls who lined up to meet her.

The crowd loved her and she got such cheers and standing Os for both her programs. I think 10th place is good for her and while her scores aren't quite in the 200+ club I think she'll get there next season.

Congratulations to Mirai for her wonderful programs at Worlds :dance2:.

apgold's description of Mirai's attentiveness to young fans in Boston rang a loud bell with me.
I have been remiss in not posting in this thread after seeing Mirai perform in Feb at the free show at the small rink in NYC.
My excuse is ... words cannot do justice to how captivating Mirai is in person in every way possible :luv17:.
It was a thrill to see her skate live and feel her star quality as a performer. And then she was so warm and friendly to those (including yours truly) who wanted to meet her. She kept crouching down to be at eye level with every youngster.
After the show ended, public skating soon resumed, and she returned to the ice to mingle. I loved watching her give some impromptu coaching to some lucky kids, esp. one little boy who was working on his spins. Very sweet of her.
I already was a big admirer of Mirai's from afar, but after my up-close experience, I now know what it is like to have a woman-crush :laugh:.

Before I stop gushing (for now ;)), I have to add that Mirai is drop-dead gorgeous (off the ice, as well as on). I always found her looks very pleasing, but in person, she is downright breathtaking. Irresistible smile.

(And speaking of beauty, her costumes are great icing on the cake. For the opening introductions of all skaters, Mirai wore her Gatsby headband and dress, and I could marvel from a few feet away at the copious embellishments and details. Her dress for her performance of I Put A Spell On You is stellar as well.)

The NYC show was right after Four Continents, and at the time, Mirai told me she could not linger in NYC for fun, b/c as an alternate for Worlds, she had to keep up her training. She was returning to Colorado the day after the show.
When it was announced that she would be competing in Boston, I was thrilled for her that her diligence would be paying off. And it most definitely did :yay:.

Danibellerika, I hope you don't mind that I am copying below your post/video from Mao's thread.
Mao is so charming, and I liked seeing Mirai too.

I am not over how adorable this interview with her is while Mirai helps translate lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aSAxdQHlM&feature=youtu.be

:luv17::luv17::luv17::luv17::luv17: ...

BTW, as a segue from the video: I'm so happy for Mirai that she will be a cast member of Mao's The Ice tour this year.

adarskates

Rinkside
Mirai was amazing in Boston. I saw both the short and long in person. She looked really fit and confident with her jumps. She attacked them. Her spins are beautiful. I know people always say she is slow, but I honestly didn't notice it. I thought her speed was comparable to others in her group. She need better transitions next year. At times, especially in the long program, the chreography felt a bit empty. I hope she works with a new choreographer next year who can really work with every note of the music. I feel like she is on the right path. I would say that she is the clear number three in the us