Most Overused Music at Euros | Golden Skate

Most Overused Music at Euros

Frau Muller

Final Flight
If I never hear the following again, it will be OK:

"The Mission" (a.k.a. 'Nella Fantasia' etc.) - in fact, Ennio Morricone deserves to be near the top of my overused composers list.

Romeo & Juliet in its various guises - Rota, 'the musical,' etc.

Bolero...or 'Flamenco Bolero' (same thing, different beat)

something called "Blues for Klook" (what the heck? - I have to plug my ears whenever I hear its twaaaang)

any Piazolla tango!!!

Then you've got your "Hall of Fame for Overused Tunes" although they are not used so often this year:

CARMEN
Malaguena
Scent of a Woman
Xotica

Then we have the list of what I call 'Euro Contemporary' composers, that everyone across the sea seems to favor & we Americans wonder what-the-heck "they" hear in them?

* Edvin Marton (sorry - Can this guy write an original tune or is his career made up of re-orchestrating other people's music?)
* Maxim Rodriguez
* Maksim Mrvica
* Raul DeBlasio (I call him "Raul DeBlah")

ON THE FLIP SIDE, I salute all skaters who chose unique, tuneful music, such as:

Kerrs - Scottish bagpipes freedance
Elene G. - that gorgeous 'Armenian Rhapsody' LP
Ivan Dinev - The Typewriter SP
...and at Canadians -- Mira Leung - Terracotta Warriors

Any additions to my lists?

Last edited:

Jill

On the Ice
Of course I haven't seen any of the Euros yet, but judging from our Nationals, as well as the GP series, I think I can live the rest of my life totally fine if I never heard another version of Romeo & Juliet in this lifetime. I know the Olympics are in Italy and all that, but really....find some other Italian themed songs, kids.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think lots of folks are going to be disapointed that the judges aren't from Verona. :p Every year skaters get the gotta try to suck up to the host country bug. I think the DelShoes are the only one's that have suceeded at this so far this season. I hope by the time Sasha skates the judges aren't too zoned out to R&J. I thought we would be Puccinied to death but I was wrong.

The them of "Totentanz", "The Dance of Death" is familiar to Italians. It could that between Irina and Michelle whoever gets across the theme of the music best will get the best response from the crowd.....OR may just creep them out.

Last edited:

Shanti

On the Ice
I'd add:

Tosca !!!

OT: Actually I liked Edwin Marton's version of R&J that he arranged for TTMM's LP. Still I hope he will retire from skating together with his "clients".

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Piel said:
I...."Totentanz", "The Dance of Death" is familiar to Italians. It could that between Irina and Michelle whoever gets across the theme of the music best will get the best response from the crowd.....OR may just creep them out.

Good point. I just hope that that cheerful theme doesn't 'kill' either lady...get it? :laugh: Carnivale and tarantellas are positives but a dance of DEATH? Oh well, at least it's upbeat in rhythm!

Lanie

On the Ice
Kerrs free dance was actually to a combination of tunes by Scottish ceilidh band called The Porridge Men. :rock: It was awesome! Just wish John would ditch the tartan headband...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Good point. I just hope that that cheerful theme doesn't 'kill' either lady...get it? :laugh: Carnivale and tarantellas are positives but a dance of DEATH? Oh well, at least it's upbeat in rhythm!

Actually the Tarantella is a little creepy to. One story is that is is supposed to mimic the actions of someone after being bitten by a poisonous spider. Yikes, spider bites, dances of death,and teenagers killing themeselves for amore! This might be the FS Olympics of death or the death of FS Olympics...depending on the judges.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Yes, Nationals were an overkill of R&J. There was something else that was used too much, but I can't recall.

That's why it was so refreshing to see Nick Traxler and Charlette Maxwell's FD - it was done to Iranian Folk music. Very different.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Baptista and family lived in Padua. Petruchio was from Verona. "Romeo and Juliet" and "Two Gentlemen Of Verona", were set in Verona.

Vash01

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
If I never hear the following again, it will be OK:

"The Mission" (a.k.a. 'Nella Fantasia' etc.) - in fact, Ennio Morricone deserves to be near the top of my overused composers list.

Romeo & Juliet in its various guises - Rota, 'the musical,' etc.

Bolero...or 'Flamenco Bolero' (same thing, different beat)

something called "Blues for Klook" (what the heck? - I have to plug my ears whenever I hear its twaaaang)

any Piazolla tango!!!

Then you've got your "Hall of Fame for Overused Tunes" although they are not used so often this year:

CARMEN
Malaguena
Scent of a Woman
Xotica

Then we have the list of what I call 'Euro Contemporary' composers, that everyone across the sea seems to favor & we Americans wonder what-the-heck "they" hear in them?

* Edvin Marton (sorry - Can this guy write an original tune or is his career made up of re-orchestrating other people's music?)
* Maxim Rodriguez
* Maksim Mrvica
* Raul DeBlasio (I call him "Raul DeBlah")

ON THE FLIP SIDE, I salute all skaters who chose unique, tuneful music, such as:

Kerrs - Scottish bagpipes freedance
Elene G. - that gorgeous 'Armenian Rhapsody' LP
Ivan Dinev - The Typewriter SP
...and at Canadians -- Mira Leung - Terracotta Warriors

Any additions to my lists?

I may not have additions but I may want to subtract some of your choices. I agree that Malaguena, Carmen and Romeo & Juliet (various versions) are overused music. I don't feel that some of your choices fit into this category. 'Scent of a woman' is hardly overused music.

I have no problem with Edvin Marton rearranging (or anyone else) someone else's music for a skater, if that works better for the skater.

Ennio Moricone- the guy is a genius; he has given us beautiful music. What is wrong with hearing his music many times? You mean you don't even want to hear the same composer? Are you tired of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsy, etc.? we have heard them many more times.

Vash

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
I.... Are you tired of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsy, etc.? ......

Vash

Exactly my point, Vash. Where on earth were Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. at Euros? The most beautiful European music ever written is ignored in place of what I call 'EuroTrash Pop'!!!! I heard more pure classical music -- not 'Martonized' classical -- at US and Japanese Nationals than in Europeans. That is my main point.

BEST MUSICAL SELECTIONS go to Ladies Team South Korea -- yes, South Korea -- at this year's 4Cs competition. Check this out:

Lady #1 - SP Rondo Veneziano & LP to Paganini-Vivaldi-Shubert
Lady #2 - SP Vivaldi 4 Seasons; LP Saint Saens Danse Macabre
Lady #3 - SP DeFalla Fire Dance; LP Ravel LaValse

South Korea -- the land of high taste! Collectively, the S.Kor ladies will give us more un-Martonized, un-popped, pure classical music than the entire 30-lady competition at Euros this year!!!!!

As for Morricone? Lovely tunes but way overused, as is the Nino Rota R&J. So Morriccone becomes Bori-cone! Even though he is used a bit at US Nationals (Savoie's LP a notable case), he is especially oversused at Europeans.

Last edited: