Nathan Chen | Page 1023 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
I know he tried but he deserved to lose and I hope his team really rethinks their strategy. His whole plan for the beginning of this season was simply nonsensical. I don't understand how he thought he could just show up to a tough event such as this one with no preparation and expect to win.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Maybe it's better for the undefeated streak to end, at least there's less pressure on him. I do agree that he seems less prepared than usual but I am willing to give his team the benefit of the doubt, there may be reasons we don't know. I actually appreciate the way his team keeps his preparation private.

SaDa

On the Ice
If only he hadn't popped those two quads. You could see that he was still nervous...but I give him props for going for the 6 quads. It's too bad he didn't edge out Shoma Uno, but, it's okay. I'm fine with it. It breaks Nathan's streak...meaning one less thing to worry about. I hope it lights a fire under him and that he's also able to recover from the traumas of this competition and do much, much better at Skate Canada next weekend. He's got this. I believe in him.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I know he tried but he deserved to lose and I hope his team really rethinks their strategy. His whole plan for the beginning of this season was simply nonsensical. I don't understand how he thought he could just show up to a tough event such as this one with no preparation and expect to win.
I know it’s very frustrating, but maybe it’s exactly what he needed to take the pressure off. I actually think it’s a good idea that he has Skate Canada next week, so he doesn’t have time to think too much. He just needs to get back on the horse again. However, I do think he should switch out his short program - and do something fun (like Caravan as suggested earlier). His themes are both too dark this year. Doing Caravan would help lighten the mood for him a bit.

noeleyle

On the Ice
I really like the new FS (even the costume too, surprisingly). Turning Mozart into something almost rock'n'roll is not usual, but works great with him.
Hope this can be a good chance for him to regroup. It's always nice to have a fresh start at an Olympic season in my mind. I've seen too many good examples.

luckyu2

On the Ice
I expected the outcome after sitting through all the practices. He was not prepared to do 6 quads here. The only thing bothered me is that he has much better success rate with his 4lutz in practice than in competition. I hope Raf can help him find out why because he definitely need to resolve that issue.

I like his long program and hope he do well at Skate Canada.

fierysky

Rinkside
I'm a bit worried he has more serious stuff going on mentally. His success rate during practice was actually pretty good, so I feel it's more mental than anything else. This summer hasn't been exactly easy for him due to a certain interview and his antis have only gotten nastier due to it. I've never seen him so nervous since the Olympics in 2018. He's been so mentally strong since. Like at worlds earlier this year? Wow. That was such an amazing comeback.

A lot of people applaud his amazing athleticism, but his biggest strength that I am always in awe of is actually his mental fortitude. But even the most iron of mental strength has its soft days. I sincerely hope nothing terrible is happening behind the scenes and hope he knows he has a lot of support.

As Nathan fans I think we've been spoiled by such stable performances that we forget he is human too, and he is allowed off competitions. This is just giving me Simone Biles flashbacks, and I hope he's taking it easy and slowly and not put so much pressure on himself.

Take it slow Nathan. Come back fighting!

lurkz2

On the Ice
I really like the new FS (even the costume too, surprisingly). Turning Mozart into something almost rock'n'roll is not usual, but works great with him.
Hope this can be a good chance for him to regroup. It's always nice to have a fresh start at an Olympic season in my mind. I've seen too many good examples.
Me too. The music keeps playing in my head.

I like the costume though it could fit him better. Pluses: no pit stains and belly button flashing hahaha. The white at the top evokes a jabot and the colors create patterns when he's spinning etc.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I'm a bit worried he has more serious stuff going on mentally. His success rate during practice was actually pretty good, so I feel it's more mental than anything else. This summer hasn't been exactly easy for him due to a certain interview and his antis have only gotten nastier due to it. I've never seen him so nervous since the Olympics in 2018. He's been so mentally strong since. Like at worlds earlier this year? Wow. That was such an amazing comeback.

A lot of people applaud his amazing athleticism, but his biggest strength that I am always in awe of is actually his mental fortitude. But even the most iron of mental strength has its soft days. I sincerely hope nothing terrible is happening behind the scenes and hope he knows he has a lot of support.

As Nathan fans I think we've been spoiled by such stable performances that we forget he is human too, and he is allowed off competitions. This is just giving me Simone Biles flashbacks, and I hope he's taking it easy and slowly and not put so much pressure on himself.

Take it slow Nathan. Come back fighting!
Nathan has mentioned how much he admires Simone Biles - maybe part of it is because he understands a bit about what she’s going through. And he‘s bashed on a daily basis on Twitter. His two best friends broke up as well, didn’t they? I’m sure that wasn’t the easiest thing for him.

Edit: But hoping for positive vibes here on out. He has my support.

sheetz

Record Breaker
The thing is, this wasn't an "off" competition. It was entirely predictable based on his history. His 4Lo is not stable and training it is not helping the quality of his other jumps. He missed both 4Lz attempts in this competition. I don't ever remember him popping a 4Lz.

SaDa

On the Ice
I absolutely love Nathan's FP this year. I think that if done flawlessly either with 5 or 6 quads, a little more polish, and the right energy, it would be just as jaw-dropping and as memorable as Philip Glass and Rocketman. For sure, it'd bring down the house and create a terrific Olympic moment. His SP, I much prefer Nemesis on its own, but...to heck with that. I'm all for supporting whatever Nathan wants to do. As for his costumes, I adore all his shirts, even the one he borrowed from Shae. I don't even care that I'm in the minority 😜

While I was hoping he'd magically land all 6 quads, I didn't think the chances were very good because it's just too early in the season yet. As it's been noted, he's not ready. And, at the end of the day, I didn't mind too much because I don't know that I would have wanted such a big moment to happen at Skate America, lol. We can save that for much later in the year or even next year at a much bigger competition.

Last edited:

journalist101

On the Ice
His seemed far more nervous than expected but even though it would seem shocking, in reflection, this feels like it was predictable. In the long run snapping the streak might be helpful for him, it gives him a bit of an “underdog mentality,” even if it’s just one not great competition.

I think Skate Canada next week will be good for him—I hope. It will force him to have short memory.

There just seemed to be too much pressure with debuting his Olympic programs for the first time and too much build up on his Olympic chances for him to settle in and remember how well he can skate.

He was so focused on the axel in the short and the loop in the free—he popped his salchow last year at Skate America too. I was expecting at least one popped quad. The lutz has seemed a more of a mental game since last year.

I think he’ll be fine—long term and in general once the disappointment fades a little. He’s a strong person and a great competitor. He will use this “failure” as motivation. It should help take the pressure off a little.

georgia

On the Ice
i don’t remember him been more prepared in previous Skate America competitions. he was actually worst!!! The problem this time was, that Vincent was Totally ready! Lol
these things happened ..should happen.
His program is wonderful, but needs work. His focus last night was not in the program itself, but mostly into doing 6 quads. That was his goal! Too bad his missed the 2 quads.. he will take that to his bed..
lovely skater.

sheetz

Record Breaker
When has he ever been worse prepared? He has not competed since WTT and only skated in front of an audience one time at Sun Valley, where he skated old programs. Usually he does Japan Open and shows, and even last season he did ISP challenge.

Ella5555

On the Ice
When has he ever been worse prepared? He has not competed since WTT and only skated in front of an audience one time at Sun Valley, where he skated old programs. Usually he does Japan Open and shows, and even last season he did ISP challenge.
This is so true. The shows in Japan in prior non-COVID years helped a lot with his comfort level. Not really sure why he didn’t do at least one event before this. You could see Vincent was well prepared - and Nathan must have known that. Nonetheless, I’m sure he and his team had their reasons (just don’t know what they are). Just hoping he gets his nerves under control going forward.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Too much pressure is the main answer of what's going on. The media really needs to chill b/c they do this all the time, and also, don't do a jump unless it's 150% ready in competition mode.

Also, to the person commenting that his FP turned Rock n Roll, no that's techno/trip-hop.

I love this FP. I wasn't a fan of his Glass FP last season, but I love this one and can't wait to see it skated clean.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Too much pressure is the main answer of what's going on the media really needs to chill b/c they do this all the time, and also, don't do a jump unless it's 150% ready in competition mode.

Also, to the person commenting that his FP turned Rock n Roll, no that's techno/trip-hop.

I love this FP. I wasn't a fan of his Glass FP last season, but I love this one and can't wait to see it skated clean.
I agree with most of your points like often :)
1) the media and the fans need to calm down a bit. Better having a rough competition early on in the season and peak at the right time. Nathan's qualification for the games is pretty much a lock so he doesn't need to peak early in the season like some others.
2) Nathan doesn't even need the quad loop. So much energy and focus was put on it in the warm up. His program would be just as perfect without it... I understand he wants to have all different quads. That's fine. But I would also be fine if he doesn't do it.
3) Yup.. techno-trip-hop whatever... I am not a fan of the music of course.. I am a classical music snob and i am well aware of it... though, sometimes, I will like a different version. For me the issues lie in 2 things : The beautiful slow movement of the A major concerto is so peaceful and heavenly and then, the lacrimosa from the requiem arrives with its pain and grief... it doesn't make sense to me at all... it rubs me the wrong way... so when the trip-hop arrives, i am already not willing to go further.
4) and finally, why a funeral mass for the olympics? It's not something I would do.. The person responsible for this is not aware of the musical context of the pieces chosen... Does it matter to most people? No.... but it does to me. So, I am underwhelmed with this choice of program but as the season will unfold, i will be able to tune the music out and just watch the gorgeous skating. :)

Go Nathan !!!!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with most of your points like :)
1) the media and the fans need to calm down a bit. Better having a rough competition early on in the season and peak at the right time. Nathan's qualification for the games is pretty much a lock so he doesn't need to peak early in the season like some others.
2) Nathan doesn't even need the quad loop. So much energy and focus was put on it in the warm up. His program would be just as perfect without it... I understand he wants to have all different quads. That's fine. But I would also be fine if he doesn't do it.
3) Yup.. techno-trip-hop whatever... I am not a fan of the music of course.. I am a classical music snob and i am well aware of it... thought sometimes, I will like a different version. For me the issues lie in 2 things : The beautiful slow movement of the A major concerto is so peaceful and heavenly and then, the lacrimosa from the requiem arrives with its pain and grief... it doesn't make sense to me at all... it rubs me the wrong way... so when the trip-hop arrives, i am already not willing to go further.
4) and finally, why a funeral mass for the olympics? It's not something I would do.. The person responsible for this is not aware of the musical context of the pieces chosen... Does it matter to most people? No.... but it does to me. So, I am underwhelmed with this choice of program but as the season will unfold, i will be able to tune the music out and just watch the gorgeous skating. :)

Go Nathan !!!!
He chose the music, he's always wanted to skate on it and Olympic season is perfect time.