Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
Some quotes from Lynn Rutherford
@nathanwchen
partly credits his fine form to more focused training during off-season:"The lack of shows, lack of other obligations, made be able to go on a daily basis & train with Raf (Arutunian)." He is not currently enrolled in Yale but is auditing classes.
@nathanwchen
finds the movement in the Latin section of his short more challenging than his free to Philip Glass selections: "It is more character-driven .... it's new for me. Glass is simple, minimal, I feel like I can interpret it better than the short."

Parts about Nathan have been added to her SA article

sheetz

Record Breaker
More quotes
In a Zoom press conference, @nathanwchen
said he was introduced to minimalist composer Philip Glass in a Listening to Music class at @Yale
. Chen said he also is a big fan of Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, whose modernist work some consider to have influenced the minimalists.
#NathanChen’s not at @Yale
this year, but he says his time there broadened his perspective: “It’s important to understand that without skating, there still is a world and a lot going on, so being able to switch out of that one specific goal mindset is helpful.”

shine

Record Breaker
Watched his sp run through. Hope the steps he did were not the new changed steps he’s actually going to do in competition, because that was totally not matching the music at the right moments based on what he did for ISP or JO... Jumps looked good though.

1111bm

Final Flight
You mean the step sequence? :unsure:

Seems to struggle with 4F, I wonder why he isn't doing 4Lz instead. (and omitting it altogether)

sheetz

Record Breaker
SF run thru courtesy of About Nathan:

It did seem like he may have changed some of the choreo at the end of the step sequence but it's not clear how much because he was skipping a lot of it. We'll have to wait and see.

Ice Desk is live in less than 2 hrs.

shine

Record Breaker
I honestly thought it was because he lost a bit of balance on that pose and missed the timing of the clap. We'll see.

fierysky

Rinkside
The arms behind the back is kind of a Mexican dance move so I think it was clearly intentional.

Interview with Johnny and Terry

I'm not sure I love the changes at all. The original has way more little nuances and flairs that matched the music much better.

Hopefully it's because the changes are new and he's still getting used to them, because the SP became a lot more empty because of it. Or at least it seems that way. He looked say more comfortable to me in the other 3 performances, but that could also be because he's more focused on the jumps this time.

Nevertheless he's always a pleasure to watch, and his jumps, always gorgeous.

His LP has really, really grown though. Fantastic practice run. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow 😀

1111bm

Final Flight
Wow, first impression: He was so energetic and on point. And quick! Whew... (also, I'm going skating in two hours and I'm slow as molasses as it is, but now I'm gonna feel even slower... 😪)

It also looked like he made sure his spins are faster (camel could still use more speed obv, but still, I think overall there definitely was more speed in all positions).

One thing I really, really appreciated, was the fact that he finished all of his spins on time. That's one thing that has bothered be so much in this SP, but also in La Boheme. He'd always mess up the timing of whatever moves, choreo or final pose that came afterwards and it had such a rushed feeling.
Now let's see if he finishes that one spin before the step sequence in his FS on time too. ;)

One thing I didn't like: He was too fast after the 'missing clap' moment in his step sequence, so that waltz jump didn't end up on those guitar strokes. :(

Interestingly, the costume is exactly what I envisioned for him, black colour and all (albeit a bit more tight-fitting). ;P

Maybe he took it out because of complaints of it being too Spanish? The new choreo feels more Mexican.

That's actually what I suspected as well (but I don't have any knowledge of dance styles to confirm).
I don't mind the missing clap, I like both versions either way.

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
I'm not sure I love the changes at all. The original has way more little nuances and flairs that matched the music much better.

Hopefully it's because the changes are new and he's still getting used to them, because the SP became a lot more empty because of it.

I disagree, in the ISP or JO videos he looked like he was still trying to find himself and a bit more tentative. Now the moves looked more precise and intentional.