Nathan Chen | Page 949 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

shine

Record Breaker
Another interesting note is Raf seems to have changed his opinion about training kids (especially girls) to do quads prematurely. He seemed pretty adamant about this even last season. I wonder if Trusova’s success has changed his mind?

sheetz

Record Breaker
Another interesting note is Raf seems to have changed his opinion about training kids (especially girls) to do quads prematurely. He seemed pretty adamant about this even last season. I wonder if Trusova’s success has changed his mind?
I think he's always been an advocate of laying the groundwork for higher rotation jumps early on so that the skaters wouldn't have to completely revamp their technique as they got older. For ex, Nathan's "seatbelt" arms position had to be learned from a very early age even though he didn't start jumping quads until 15.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I heard something about a U.S. team competition arranged by a Japanese broadcaster. I think the date was different (later in November) so I'm not sure it's the Skating Spectacular (that's an exhibition, right?) but could be wrong. And now I can't really find any info about it so...

sheetz

Record Breaker
I heard something about a U.S. team competition arranged by a Japanese broadcaster. I think the date was different (later in November) so I'm not sure it's the Skating Spectacular (that's an exhibition, right?) but could be wrong. And now I can't really find any info about it so...
It's the same one, just being broadcast at a later date in Japan.

alexaa

Final Flight
Is that the impression I give? It's not a particularly grand wish of mine. :laugh:
Of course not. It is more a statement like “we are reading your posts“, “we are listening“😆 😆. Thank you so much for all the updates in the past several months even when there was few replies or responses 👏👏

Last edited by a moderator:

shine

Record Breaker
Sure, but I don’t think he was talking so much about foundational work here as he was commenting on Trusova’s competitive approach to quads ie. starting early and spending a few seasons putting quads into her competitive programs to get them to a stable level. He seems to agree with this approach now particularly when he said it takes 2-3 seasons for quads to be stable. Until now he was rather critical of the Russian girls training quads too early. But how would they be able to spend those necessary 2-3 seasons to stabilize them in competitions if they didn’t start back then when they were 12-13? That part seems a bit contradictory to me and hence where I think he might have changed opinions.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Quad T, S, Lo, F, Lz, A at the start of the season. Nathan seems to have time to work on all the quads now. This is the advantage of full time training without the interference of school work.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Sure, but I don’t think he was talking so much about foundational work here as he was commenting on Trusova’s competitive approach to quads ie. starting early and spending a few seasons putting quads into her competitive programs to get them to a stable level. He seems to agree with this approach now particularly when he said it takes 2-3 seasons for quads to be stable. Until now he was rather critical of the Russian girls training quads too early. But how would they be able to spend those necessary 2-3 seasons to stabilize them in competitions if they didn’t start back then when they were 12-13? That part seems a bit contradictory to me and hence where I think he might have changed opinions.
Well, with Sasha the horses left the barn long ago. She can't unlearn them. I think he's just talking about the best strategy for her going forward.

LutzDance

On the Ice
So much so for us appreciating him for taking a step-by-step approach in his training and leaving out the 4Lz two days ago:drama:Of course he''s gonna charge head-on with his tech now that he has all the time with Raf. Just hope that he stays healthy.

luckyu2

On the Ice
I hope Raf stay on top of his training and do not or let him push himself too hard on the technical side. I would be perfectly happy to see him deliver two clean programs with similar set up as last year’s gpf and just work on refining both programs esp. the stsq for his lp.

sheetz

Record Breaker
More details on the LV Invitational

Nathan is on Team Tara along with Starr, Alexei, Ilia Malinin, Audrey Shin, and Bradie.

They go up against Team Johnny: Mariah, Karen, Tomoki, Alysa, Camden, and Vincent.

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

Nathan spending the day in La Jolla with Mariah and Kaitlin.

Team Toyota shoutout as part of their "Drive for Gold" series.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Looks like I was wrong and the LV Invitational team event is different than the LV Skating Spectacular. The LVI will be shown on Nov 15, and the LVSS Nov 1. I guess the LVSS is just the gala, and will also feature pairs and ice dance.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Looks like I was wrong and the LV Invitational team event is different than the LV Skating Spectacular. The LVI will be shown on Nov 15, and the LVSS Nov 1. I guess the LVSS is just the gala, and will also feature pairs and ice dance.

Wow 2 competitions and 1 show in 3 days!

sheetz

Record Breaker
Maybe a 4S as well... Didn't Raf say in the interview he solved his FS issues? Which probably means he was pounding on the edge jumps.
He said he thought Nathan wasn't recovered enough due to the short turnaround so it's kind of doubtful that he put it in if he's not fully rested. It was filmed on Monday and not sure if that's enough time.

Curious to see if he'll do a new EX for the gala. I assume he had a new one prepared for Worlds which we never got to see.

1111bm

Final Flight
He said he thought Nathan wasn't recovered enough due to the short turnaround so it's kind of doubtful that he put it in if he's not fully rested. It was filmed on Monday and not sure if that's enough time.

Curious to see if he'll do a new EX for the gala. I assume he had a new one prepared for Worlds which we never got to see.

I think he meant, that the skaters didn't have enough rest between the SP and FS during Skate America. 'Enough' meaning at least 24 hours (I think it was sth. like 18 hours?). And that this could've contributed to the popped jumps (maybe a lack of focus due to a shorter recovery time etc.).

I doubt that he had a new EX prepared for Worlds, he was still at Yale at the time. I wish he had a new one now, given that he had the time now, but since he skated Rocketman for COI, I'm afraid it's rather unlikely. :(