Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
I appreciated that some of the questions and answers were slightly different than what we have heard in the past and therefore liked the interview more than I thought it would. Agree that Romain's segment was cute!

sheetz

Record Breaker
USFS has made the entire Skating Magazine archives free to the public in honor of its 100 year anniversary celebration.

Check out this adorable spotlight on 3 year old Nathan Chen
Age: 3 Hometown: Salt Lake City, Utah Home club: Salt Lake City Sports Complex FSC Favorite skaters: Scott Hamilton. I know him from books and videos. How I got started skating: One day my mom let me try walking on the ice while we were waiting for my brothers at their hockey lesson, and I loved it. I ran through the learn-to-skate program to Basic 4. Then I started private lessons because other skaters in my group were two or three times taller than me. How long I've been skating: Almost half a year. How often I skate: An hour a day. I take lessons from my coach Stephanee Grosscup once a week. Favorite jumps/moves: Spins and spirals. I often laugh at my falls, but I'll cry if it hurts. What I like about skating: I just love to skate. I feel happy on the ice. I love to race around the rink with anyone who wants to. It's so much fun. Favorite skating moments: Skating shows at last year's Olympic Opening Ceremony. I've watched the tape many times, and I can sing LeAnn Rimes' song from the ceremony. Goals: To be an Olympic skater. Accomplishments: I won a gold medal in the Utah Winter Games last January. That was my first competition. I was in the Snowplow Sam section. What else you should know about me: I love singing, dancing, jumping and playing chess.

1111bm

Final Flight
More bothered by the liberal use of hair product rather than the length #setthecurlsfree hahaha
😄 Yeah, I actually love the long curls framing his face like in Marin's recent video, it's so much fun, but sadly that length is impractical for skating and it seems it's only his I-didn't-style-my-hair-today do.

(it's mostly the long hair at his neck and at the sides sticking out that's a no for me... it doesn't even go with the slicked back hairdo that he apparently enjoys so much, so I don't get it)

I actually think the curly hairdo is like a part of his costumes (or non-costumes for some ppl :rolleyes:), it's really enhancing his performances. Remember how it went so well with his fun Caravan character, they even added a shake of his head/curls in the step sequence that was actually part of the choreo. Or I remember watching MLD at Rostelecom Cup, and how I felt that the curls were adding to the overall shapes and lines of his body, plus they also enhanced the sort of flowy style of that program.

Last edited:

lurkz2

On the Ice
😄 Yeah, I actually love the long curls framing his face like in Marin's recent video, it's so much fun, but sadly that length is impractical for skating and it seems it's only his I-didn't-style-my-hair-today do.
I actually think the free curls are his everyday look. So far I have only seen them slicked back for major interviews (like Nick McCarvel and Olympic Channel, but not for Kaitlyn and Jean Luck), competitions and his sister's wedding.

IMHO the free curls are a better look Nathan hehehe.

marie.francoise

Rinkside
I agree with 1111bm, if he cleans up the contours I don't mind the long hair itself either. In fact, it suits him really well.
Only problem is, it kind of explodes during the performances, which is normal with curly hair. But having it slicked back in the beginning makes it look disproportionate once that happens 😅

bonita

Final Flight
It seemed that Nathan is quite popular among young Russian skaters, with quite several citing him as idol or favorite skater."

Andrei Mozalev
Andreai said Nathan is his idol, he is most impressed by:
"Chen is cool with his jumping technique, his artistry."
Фигурист Андрей Мозалев - интервью о четверных, книгах, Нейтане Чене (sport24.ru)

Vladimir Litvintsev

Petr Gumennik
very beginning of this video, wait for the translation after he talked.

Sasha Trusova:
https://twitter.com/sashkatrusova/status/1339306611769303045?s=20

Kamila Valieva:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1e_Lp2HXiE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yuma Kagiyama (again, interview after NHK)
Yuma talked about his desire to be all around skater, and achieve what Nathan is doing. Yuma specifically mentioned Nathan's spins, steps and expressiveness, and his desire to be all around like Nathan is.

2020NHK杯 鍵山選手インタビュー | KOSE SPORTS BEAUTY NEWS Powered by Ameba (ameblo.jp)
The list keeps growing.
From Anastasiia Guliakova's IG (Q&A) Story [22 Feb 2021]: − Kolyada, Chen or Hanyu? − Nathan Chen.

marie.francoise

Rinkside
I need to learn how to relax, apparently. 😂 it's the first competition I'll follow as a Nathan fan and I'm scared. seems like it's yuzurus to take, given their respective performances at nationals

Apple1078

On the Ice
I need to learn how to relax, apparently. 😂 it's the first competition I'll follow as a Nathan fan and I'm scared. seems like it's yuzurus to take, given their respective performances at nationals
Not a Nathan fan (not a Yuzu fan either) but I'm actually starting to warm up to Nathan more. Just wanted to point out that the same could be said about GPF 2019 and look what happened lol. He wasn't particularly convincing in Grenoble whereas Yuzu was fantastic at both SC and NHK. But when Turin rolled around, he was ready.

I also recall that the first practices at Worlds 2019 were pretty horrible. He was off axis and looked out of shape and a bit of a mess (which was after his best showing at nationals to date) but a few days later and it became time to compete, he still pulled it off.

Last edited:

luckyu2

Rinkside
let's hope he can repeat that 🙏

general question: if both skate clean, who do you think has the advantage?
It’ll be really tight even with slightly more difficult technical content from Nathan. He needs to improve his jump quality from Nationals in order to win (and don’t forget those spins!). I’ve got the feeling that this year’s programs may not receive the same PCS as La Boheme and Rocketman.

1111bm

Final Flight
How do you even define clean. A program can be considered clean, but skated with not much confidence or impact, or with a few shaky or squeezed out jump landings and so on.

But assuming both Yuzu and Nathan execute all of their technical elements with confidence in both SP and FS and have a triumphant skate, then I'm going to assume that Yuzu will beat Nathan in PCS by sth. like 3-4.5 points total maybe. So it would come down to the difference in BV+GOE between them to decide the winner. And since we don't even know Yuzu's layout, no way to tell (Will he include the 4Lz? Will he attempt 5 quads? Backload combos? Does he play it relatively safe to go clean?).
But then it is highly unlikely both of them skate this well in both SP and FS, so it's not gonna come down to this anyway.

I agree that Philip Glass lacks the pop-y sing-along part in the middle (I hated it) and the entertaining ending which made Rocketman a great sell in front of an audience, so it is possible that it'll fall a bit flat. But then again, there won't be much of an audience except for the ppl working in the arena and maybe some skaters (and if Nathan is elated with how his jumps went, he might exude that joy in the end and that might still have quite an impact on the judges).

I do think his Desperados SP can be a good vehicle to show off confidence and swagger, it has that high energy, explosive step sequence in the end and the first jump and especially the Axel are exciting to watch together with the guitar strokes in that section, and I really enjoyed it at Skate America.

ETA: Also, never mind Yuzu, but I wouldn't underestimate Yuma too... (Although it'll be interesting to see how and if he handles the pressure of such a big senior comp. Makes me wonder if the lack of an audience actually helps with nerves and being able to focus or if it's more difficult to perform that way, with no one cheering you on and no faces to perform to)

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

A good knee bend soothes my soul
Final Flight
If Nathan's jumps are as meh as they were at Nationals and Skate America, then Yuzuru will win in GOE and PCS. If Nathan shapes up and is clean, he could beat Yuzuru again with his BV advantage. It of course depends on Yuzuru's layout and performance, because if Yuzuru earns +4 or +5 for all his elements and does 4 quads to Nathan's (likely??) 5, he could match Nathan in TES.
I agree that Philip Glass lacks the pop-y sing-along part in the middle (I hated it) and the entertaining ending which made Rocketman a great sell in front of an audience, so it is possible that it'll fall a bit flat. But then again, there won't be much of an audience except for the ppl working in the arena and maybe some skaters (and if Nathan is elated with how his jumps went, he might exude that joy in the end and that might still have quite an impact on the judges).

I do think his Desperados SP can be a good vehicle to show off confidence and swagger, it has that high energy, explosive step sequence in the end and the first jump and especially the Axel are exciting to watch together with the guitar strokes in that section, and I really enjoyed it at Skate America.
I do like the new SP, but Yuzuru wins hands-down in the FS. I miss Rocketman. There's just nothing really impressive about the new FS.
ETA: Also, never mind Yuzu, but I wouldn't underestimate Yuma too... (Although it'll be interesting to see how and if he handles the pressure of such a big senior comp. Makes me wonder if the lack of an audience actually helps with nerves and being able to focus or if it's more difficult to perform that way, with no one cheering you on and no faces to perform to)
I don't want to jinx Yuma, but I certainly wouldn't count him out of the top 6. He's had way more practice than anyone this year and is very consistent. Even when he gets really nervous, like at Junior Worlds last year, he still does pretty well. On the audience front, Kanto Regionals was held without an audience and he got a 287, so I don't know.

Last edited: