Nathan Chen | Page 976 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

lurkz2

On the Ice
That doesn’t sound very confident.....
Agreed, it only makes me more worried for Beijing. It feels like more of a mental issue because his practice quad lutzes are gorgeous. But tonight, he was really tentative when he stepped out and didn't skate with speed. It was a similar issue in his Nationals FS.

It would make me sad if he never skated his FS to its full potential. I really enjoyed the 1st virtual competition FS because it was fast and flowy (I know I'm in the minority). But when he has skated it in live competitions he has been slower and tentative.

alexaa

Final Flight
Headphone from Panasonic

Nathan reflecting on the SP performance

Men’s conference

Nathan cut

Nathan on gender difference, from the SP press conference

“Nathan Chen on gender differences in skating: "I don't think there's anything that we [boys] can do that the girls can't"

From kaetlyn Osmond
”Really impressed on Nathan’s energy and show of skating skills and artistry in his step sequence into the end of his program, I just wish it was part of the rest of the program too! But I understand the need to focus on the difficult elements!”

sheetz

Record Breaker
Man, this time difference has been tough! I feel like I've been run over by a truck! Anyway, not too surprised about the results. This layout was risky but It feels like part of a larger plan. There's just so little time until the Olympics and he will want to have his final layouts solidified very soon. He can still win this competition but I don't think it's at all a bad thing to lose on occasion. Losses are often when one learns the most. Just hope he does his best on Saturday.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I like how he coped with the fall and did the rest of the jumps with such an ease. Now I want to see him in fighting mode and to take out the big guns on Saturday:). He is already champion multiple times and is getting better in time, he has nothing to prove or lose. .. He is playing with risk and sometimes there will be falls.No one is doing what he is doing and I don't like him to play it safe, he could have easily took easy quad jumps and do clean short. Nathan is not easy and I think not perfect short program is what he needs to learn to get over. So this competition is going just right :) . Let's wait and see what he will bring on Saturday. Nathan fight.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Man, this time difference has been tough! I feel like I've been run over by a truck! Anyway, not too surprised about the results. This layout was risky but It feels like part of a larger plan. There's just so little time until the Olympics and he will want to have his final layouts solidified very soon. He can still win this competition but I don't think it's at all a bad thing to lose on occasion. Losses are often when one learns the most. Just hope he does his best on Saturday.
Yeah, I trust that he and Raf are thinking of the bigger picture leading up to the Olympics. Whether that includes another Worlds medal en route, I don't know, but in any case I'm not worried.
On the bright side the occasional blip here and there (like today) will help judges and fans not to take him for granted :)

discode

Final Flight
follow up to the 4lz question

This is what Chen said yesterday when asked if he had any thought of taking 4Lz out of Sat. free
“It’s an option. I kind of want to attempt it again. I know I can do it. (It was a) stupid error. If in practice for next couple days it’s not really there, what’s the point in risking it? That will be more a game-time decision. As it stands now, I’d like to continue trying.”

So yeah, that doesn't sound like he's not confident.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I'm beginning to question the technical understanding of Phil Hersh. This was his tweet immediately after the free skate, when he claimed that Nathan would need a major mistake from Yuzuru.

Which then became Hanyu put himself in a strong position to win when people pointed out that Nathan had a higher planned base value.

1111bm

Final Flight
I'm beginning to question the technical understanding of Phil Hersh. This was his tweet immediately after the free skate, when he claimed that Nathan would need a major mistake from Yuzuru.

https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1375105646438268940?s=20
Which then became Hanyu put himself in a strong position to win when people pointed out that Nathan had a higher planned base value.
But he's right, Yuzuru needs to make a mistake for Nathan to win.

Assuming that Nathan skates a relatively clean 5 quad program and gets all the levels, depending on how high his GOE is and estimating a PCS of 94-96, his score could range from 214-230. Without a successful 4Lz he loses 8-9 points.

If Yuzuru skates the same layout he did at Nationals, gets all levels and goes pretty much clean, and estimating a possible PCS of 96-99, his score could range from 210 to 226 even.

And given the easier layout and the fact that he's so comfortable with the 3A, the likelihood of Yuzuru receiving higher GOE is bigger than it is for Nathan.

sheetz

Record Breaker
If Hersh were more technically knowledgeable he would instead be asking Nathan about the new entry into the 4F, the spread eagle into 3A, or the backloaded quad combos, all of which are more unnecessary than a solo 4Lz.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
and the shae costume makes a re-appearance! hahaha. I think if costumes become a critical part of components, am sure folks would take costumes a bit more seriously, but am happy it's not - it's still all about the skating, at least for me!

rock it out there, Nathan!