Nathan Chen | Page 978 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

LutzDance

On the Ice
Often I feel I can predict how Nathan will perform a program by the nerves written on his face the moment he arrives at his starting position. Just as I knew he was going to mess up his short program two days ago, I was assured he was prepared to deliver before the music started today. What happened next I have no words for it, other than that it is the performance I will be referring to anytime anyone asks for a skating vid recommendation in the future.

alexaa

Final Flight
Different angles from Japanese TV

Dylan Moscovitch and Asher Hill from CBC Sports “formally apologize to Nathan Chen for doubting he would take home the title again” 😂

This is what they said about fall in the SP

New NBCSports article from Phil

quoting Jason’s response
“There truly aren’t enough eloquent words I could use that would describe what Nathan just did,” his U.S. teammate, Jason Brown, said in a text message. “I watched in absolute awe.”

USFigure Skating Fanzone article
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...749689&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram

Last edited by a moderator:

1111bm

Final Flight
Often I feel I can predict how Nathan will perform a program by the nerves written on his face the moment he arrives at his starting position.
Ha, and people say he doesn't show any emotions and always looks unfazed. ;)

Uh-oh, did they forget to brief Meryl to not, under no circumstances(!), ask about his favourite animal?
(also, his answer was exactly what I expected)
Also, did he just make sure to include all animals so as not to 'offend' any of them, before hastily admitting that it's dogs? 😄

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I signed in to GS for the first time in 2 years and only Nathan could get me to do that! Hi guys--I hope you've been well. ☺️

I'm so proud of the performance Nathan put down today. Everything was so clean! And I might be in the minority but I've loved this Philip Glass program from the beginning (the short not as much). I love the musical accents: the quad sal when the music changes, the footwork sequence, the choreographic sequence are all so satisfying.

I was so worried after the fall in the short but Nathan showed, as usual, that he's a superlative competitor. Take care guys. :clap:
I love this Philip Glass programme too! Even back in autumn when the ISP videos came out I watched it repeatedly. Today was its finest rendition and also my favourite performance of Nathan's so far.

Agree about the musicality, especially that transcendental moment when he hit a beat on the back end of his 4T-3T combo. Musical timing on the 5th quad/penultimate jumping pass! There was also a striking softness and freedom to Nathan's upper body today. His arm and hand placement have always been lovely, but to maintain this quality throughout a 5-quad programme was a real mark of progress.

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Did I sound too sombre above?

I am so incredibly happy for him :love2: and proud of his amazing achievements.

And thank you to @discode for sharing those links!

LutzDance

On the Ice
I keep thinking about how different his free skate at this Worlds is different from his "redemption skates" from PyeongChang and Milan, where he also blew the tech out of the water. This time there wasn't one ounce of body tension or mental stress indicative of the technical burden, and I don't know how he reined in all the adrenaline to deliver such a quiet, tender, yet super controlled step sequence. Regarding the second half, I used to be disappointed with the music cuts they adopted since ISP2, but this time it just made so much sense to me - all the synthesizer effects that I disliked so much really helped to build the climax here. His effort is not lost upon the general audience - many viewers who admitted to have not really cared about Nathan's skating or his Philip Glass program were moved by it. Keep up the good work Nathan!

As a side note, I don't know if WTT is actually happening or if Nathan will go. If he does, I look forward to seeing him redeem his short program and keep polishing his free skate. Maybe he will bring back the quad loop just for fun.

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
I wonder what additional critiques Dave Lease and Jonathan Beyer have about Nathan :ROFLMAO: in todays TSL.

figskatefan

Rinkside
I keep thinking about how different his free skate at this Worlds is different from his "redemption skates" from PyeongChang and Milan, where he also blew the tech out of the water. This time there wasn't one ounce of body tension or mental stress indicative of the technical burden, and I don't know how he reined in all the adrenaline to deliver such a quiet, tender, yet super controlled step sequence. Regarding the second half, I used to be disappointed with the music cuts they adopted since ISP2, but this time it just made so much sense to me - all the synthesizer effects that I disliked so much really helped to build the climax here. His effort is not lost upon the general audience - many viewers who admitted to have not really cared about Nathan's skating or his Philip Glass program were moved by it. Keep up the good work Nathan!

As a side note, I don't know if WTT is actually happening or if Nathan will go. If he does, I look forward to seeing him redeem his short program and keep polishing his free skate. Maybe he will bring back the quad loop just for fun.
Nathan said that in the FS he wanted to stay in the moment and enjoy the experience of being at Worlds. That really seemed to help him keep calm, which enabled him to skate his best. Raf said that Nathan’s best skating asset was his mind. I think Nathan’s consistency is due in large part to his ability to control his nerves. Top level skaters can do their programs perfectly well in practice, but not always in competition. My guess is that Yuzuru saw the score that Nathan put down and let that get to his head. I watched how he did at Japanese Nationals and if he had gotten that score at Worlds, he would have won with his 8 point lead from the SP.