Nathan Chen | Page 979 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
Last I heard they were complaining his quads were in the same place on the ice.

Technically it was Megan Duhamel who said that. :p TSL will probably jump on the Kagiyama Bandwagon (which to be fair is probably more legit than the Kolyada bandwagon) and predict Nathan finishing behind Yuma at the Olympics.

ETA: Yale article on Nathan's victory

Last edited:

figskatefan

Rinkside
Last I heard they were complaining his quads were in the same place on the ice.

Medalist https://twitter.com/_mariaaaa18/status/1376194853713874944
They can complain about the Shae top, his hunchy shoulders, stiff knees ( which they have done in the past). Of course none of which matter. I don’t see hunchy shoulders and his knees can’t be that stiff if he can land all those quads. I do agree about the Shae top. Or they can just not talk about Nathan at all, which they sometimes do. They’ll probably spend all their time tearing up Vincent, whom they dislike more than Nathan.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

shine

Record Breaker
I personally really like the concept of this Shae-Lynn hand me down as well. It fits the program's edgy and minimalist quality. The only complaint I have about it is the areas around the armpits are too baggy and should be more form fitting.

sheetz

Record Breaker
What we've all been waiting for: Raf interview

Article from Nick McCarvel

Romain's commentary of Nathan's FS from Eurosport FR

Based on Karen's comment it sounds like Nathan is a Panda Express regular. :rofl:

Congratulations from Team Toyota

Article from Beverley Smith

Last edited:

alexaa

Final Flight
Here is some translation of Raf’s daughter caling to check if Raf was ok after Nathan‘s sp

”I'm reading new Raf's interview right now. He said that after Nathan's mistake in short his daughter called him and asked if he (Raf) is okay. And when he said yes she didn't believe him. His family know how much his heart is dedicated to Nathan and this is so beautiful”

Sasha’s interview

His performance indeed brought lots of fs fans into tears, including The Skating score lol.

You’ll find talks about the FS from coaching accounts like this

Iskatecoach and comments of other coaches

“A piece of skating history happened in the men’s event. Such a great skate litterally clean in technical and components a huge lead and score and the title this time truely deserved to Nathen Chen.

100 point base value before adding +goe on every element for an extra 25.80 points. Including 5 quads and all level 4 spins and step getting called with nearly 100 in the components”
ETA: Raf interview translation from fsgossip

Last edited by a moderator:

shine

Record Breaker
Also why has no one mentioned Nathan's new entrance into the 4S?? When did this jump get so good for him?? That was honestly the most beautiful jump for me in the entire program. Love how it just soared like we've never seen from him before and the flowy ends of his costume again enhanced the impression of flight. :love2: I see some comments saying that the program really took off starting with the step sequence, but for me it started with the setting up of the salchow and then the spins that also went perfectly with the intensifying of the music.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yeah I was gonna mention the new 4S entrance along with the new 4F . It's insane to change your jumps like that only one year before the olympics. Ive been way more concerned about those than the 4Lz.

luckyu2

On the Ice
I secretly complained about the change of the 4S entry and backloading those combos in the 2nd half (not good for my nerves). Glad the changes worked out.
I haven't seen any confirmation but sounds like he probably won't go to WTT, right?

shine

Record Breaker
Well if he can get vaccinated in time (which I'm not sure if he will, though some of my friends in SoCal have already gotten theirs without pre-existing conditions), I don't see anything wrong with competing at the WTT. He doesn't have school this year and it's not a bad idea to have one more competition under his belt before the Olympics. And I can't help but wonder if he misses traveling and competing. I know that's what I'm gonna do the first thing after I get vaccinated!

LutzDance

On the Ice
Also why has no one mentioned Nathan's new entrance into the 4S?? When did this jump get so good for him?? That was honestly the most beautiful jump for me in the entire program. Love how it just soared like we've never seen from him before and the flowy ends of his costume again enhanced the impression of flight. :love2: I see some comments saying that the program really took off starting with the step sequence, but for me it started with the setting up of the salchow and then the spins that also went perfectly with the intensifying of the music.
I agree with every single word of this! The extra turn in his new 4S entry fits the repetitive bass line of the violin concerto so well, and I’ve always liked the little arm movement between the jump and the spin. I used to think the 4S is Nathan’s least pretty quad, often coming with a forward-leaning axis and hard landing, but it has morphed into something reminiscent of the 3S he’d done as a novice/junior: good control and lots of pop. So yeah, I’m also more impressed by this 4S than by the (expectedly beautiful) 4Lz.

LutzDance

On the Ice
Well if he can get vaccinated in time (which I'm not sure if he will, though some of my friends in SoCal have already gotten theirs without pre-existing conditions), I don't see anything wrong with competing at the WTT. He doesn't have school this year and it's not a bad idea to have one more competition under his belt before the Olympics. And I wonder if he misses traveling and competing. I know that's what I'm gonna do the first thing after I get vaccinated!
I’m also wondering about the WTT. I vaguely remember that top skaters of qualified countries are required to go to this event (barring injuries etc)? I don’t know if it’s something that he can easily opt out. And unless he gets the J&J shot there’s not enough tine to get fully vaccinated before the event. I still sort of hope he will go (while fully protecting himself) and redeem his short program there (and earn some $$$). And there’s no better place to tease us with the 4Lo than a fluff competition.