Nathan Chen

LutzDance

On the Ice
Can anyone say something reassuring about his Russian vocabulary?

Nathan’s Russian vocab, an incomplete and good-words-only edition:

Raf said молодец and хорошо (well done, good) to him after his SP at 2019 GPF:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5tJuA_JuhX/?igshid=m2crghv14wrn

Raf said хорошо to him after his SP at 2019 Worlds, to which he responded Да (yes) at around 6’03”
https://youtu.be/gluunSQET58

Since these are really basic words I wouldn’t call them reassuring evidence, but it’s kinda cute that Raf would speak to him in Russian when he’s excited :laugh:

ETA: Mariah mentioned in a 2019 interview that Raf speaks a lot of Russian during training sessions, some of which she might not want to know :drama:
http://www.blossomonice.com/en/mari...continueFlag=b12b848a3fd4bf4204907f139f8393b5

Last edited:

1111bm

Final Flight
I watched (most of) the WTT men's event with a friend, who doesn't follow figure skating (only whenever I make him watch some of it with me 🙈😛). So he's pretty unbiased and doesn't really know much about it, except for some of the technical stuff and judging system that I told him about.
(and btw, he doesn't think it's oh-so-difficult to understand...😏)

And after Nathan's skate he asked me to rewind to his camel spin and pointed out to me, that Nathan was the only skater who didn't go into an awkward and ugly looking position while trying to grab his blade. And that he initially assumed that it's apparently normal to do so, because every other skater did it, and he thought it was really weird and noticeable, until he saw Nathan do it differently.

That really made my day, since that has been a long time pet peeve of mine (as I've pointed out multiple times in these forums), and I was really proud of him for noticing that on his own! 🤣
Plus, with everyone always picking at Nathan's spins, it's kind of amusing that a casual observer like him would notice a positive feature about Nathan's spins 'of all things'.

He also said, that he liked it, that Nathan's free skate costume was so flowy. And guess what, he did not complain about it being 'boring' and black, despite the fact that he personally enjoys bright colours and ombre colour gradients a lot (he was really into Roman's top, lol).

Ella5555

On the Ice
Random thoughts on Nathan’s FS: I agree that he looked a bit tired after practice. I think the short turnaround time between Worlds plus the air travel had an impact on him (and other skaters as well). Considering everything, it was a pretty good performance. We just expect so much from Nathan, but, all in all, lovely. His arm movements at the beginning of his skate and in the step sequence seemed more nuanced than in his FS at Worlds (and I love, love, love his performance at World’s). I’m glad he completed the two 3As - I’m wondering if that was more for practice/increased comfort level than a strategy for future competitions. I didn’t see the “q” on the 4T3T, but sometimes I don’t pick up on that stuff. Will someone with a better eye for that stuff than I, let me know what they think? Next season will be a pressure cooker for Nathan – especially being undefeated since the Olympics. I hope he remembers to just enjoy every moment.

shine

Record Breaker
I don't see the q either. I thought it he landed backward and there was no turning of the blade on the ice. I actually thought it was a pretty good landing with a nice running edge and his upper body was upright and reaching back for his 2nd jump (better than his usual landings where his upper body tends to be forward).

1111bm

Final Flight

heyheyhey

Final Flight
Sup everyone, long time no see 😂

Haven’t been here in like a year so gonna catch up on the thread soon but I see that my boy has gone undefeated for 3 years now? So proud. Excited for the Olympic season, I’m confident it’ll be his best yet. Now to scour through everything I missed, hopefully the links work still

bonita

Final Flight
Sup everyone, long time no see 😂

Haven’t been here in like a year so gonna catch up on the thread soon but I see that my boy has gone undefeated for 3 years now? So proud. Excited for the Olympic season, I’m confident it’ll be his best yet. Now to scour through everything I missed, hopefully the links work still
Ah, hi, heyheyhey, what a pleasant surprise!! I was thinking of you this week. As a matter a fact, your optimism is dearly missed every time when I’m stressed about him.

I don’t want to sound over dramatic, but I really miss you, oatmella and skfan so much.

bonita

Final Flight
videos of Nathan cheering for teammates

for Karen

with Jason

Medal ceremony Nathan cut

Eurosport Russia named Nathan's WTT Free Skate video:

— Nathan Chen's majestic performance at the World Team Trophy − he skated like a whirlwind.

Phil Hersh’s summary of TeamUSA’s 2nd day

It’s too bad that Friday was most likely the last time Nathan Chen will skate the free program Shae-Lynn Bourne artfully choreographed to selections from the music of the minimalist composer, Philip Glass.

Chen clearly had a physical as well as intellectual understanding of Glass, having studied his music at Yale and having learned how to play part of it on the piano. The skater’s interpretation got more nuanced each time he performed it, with the final half of the four minutes at the World Championships and the opening 30 seconds at World Team Trophy clear evidence of how he “got” the music.

It brought him a third straight world title and fifth straight U.S. title.

This was my favorite free skate of the five Chen has used in his five years as a senior international competitor. He has also used five different short programs.

Chen began his senior career with a pair of classical warhorses, from Le Corsaire and the Polovtsian Dances, but he has been all over the musical landscape since: moody contemporary, upbeat Elton John, Latin, pulsating Stravinsky. And as he has eschewed the comfort of familiarity (and repetition) for the challenges of stretching himself artistically, Chen has also filled those programs with the most stunning array of quadruple jumps in history. He did four more quads Friday, two in combination.

Lu Chen’s commentary of the WTT free skate

Collection of some nice pictures from the free

Last edited:

heyheyhey

Final Flight
Ah, hi, heyheyhey, what a pleasant surprise!! I was thinking of you this week. As a matter a fact, your optimism is dearly missed every time when I’m stressed about him.

I don’t want to sound over dramatic, but I really miss you, oatmella and skfan so much.
Thank you! I missed all of you, 2020 as you know was crazy so I honestly didn’t have time to catch up with anything sports but I’m starting to get back into it. Seems like there were many cancellations in terms of competitions so I probably didn’t miss too much in that aspect but I’m just glad to see our boy is thriving, not that I ever doubted. I’m sure Raf was happy to have him home full time finally.

I’ll be around often now, it is off season officially so maybe we can have one of those summers where we spend a 100 pages stressing about whatever outfit Vera is gonna put him in next for the Olympics and dissecting yet another blunt Raf interview 😂 (for the record I’m one of the few who likes Vera for Nathan but that’s me 😂)

Gilligan

Rinkside
according to google translate, Nathan did that combo, and then Hanyu did the same combo on the opposite side of the rink? Then Nathan gave Hanyu a thumbs up?

LOL are they actually having an impromptu quad battle during gala practice? :eek2: Or at least showing off? Maybe that's why only Team Japan and Team Russia have a team gala number (according to the skate order). No gas left in the tank for some team USA members? :ROFLMAO:

Hoping he'll be blessed with good health and *won't* be doing this at 2022 US Nationals, when the gala will be a few hours after the end of the men FS during an Olympic year. o_O

Last edited: