Nathan Chen | Page 971 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

alexaa

Final Flight
It seemed that Nathan is quite popular among young Russian skaters, with quite several citing him as idol or favorite skater."

Andrei Mozalev
Andreai said Nathan is his idol, he is most impressed by:
"Chen is cool with his jumping technique, his artistry."
Фигурист Андрей Мозалев - интервью о четверных, книгах, Нейтане Чене (sport24.ru)

Vladimir Litvintsev

Petr Gumennik
very beginning of this video, wait for the translation after he talked.

Sasha Trusova:
https://twitter.com/sashkatrusova/status/1339306611769303045?s=20

Kamila Valieva:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1e_Lp2HXiE/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yuma Kagiyama (again, interview after NHK)
Yuma talked about his desire to be all around skater, and achieve what Nathan is doing. Yuma specifically mentioned Nathan's spins, steps and expressiveness, and his desire to be all around like Nathan is.

2020NHK杯 鍵山選手インタビュー | KOSE SPORTS BEAUTY NEWS Powered by Ameba (ameblo.jp)
The list keeps growing.
From Anastasiia Guliakova's IG (Q&A) Story [22 Feb 2021]: − Kolyada, Chen or Hanyu? − Nathan Chen.

Apple1078

Final Flight
I need to learn how to relax, apparently. 😂 it's the first competition I'll follow as a Nathan fan and I'm scared. seems like it's yuzurus to take, given their respective performances at nationals
Not a Nathan fan (not a Yuzu fan either) but I'm actually starting to warm up to Nathan more. Just wanted to point out that the same could be said about GPF 2019 and look what happened lol. He wasn't particularly convincing in Grenoble whereas Yuzu was fantastic at both SC and NHK. But when Turin rolled around, he was ready.

I also recall that the first practices at Worlds 2019 were pretty horrible. He was off axis and looked out of shape and a bit of a mess (which was after his best showing at nationals to date) but a few days later and it became time to compete, he still pulled it off.

Last edited:

luckyu2

On the Ice
let's hope he can repeat that 🙏

general question: if both skate clean, who do you think has the advantage?
It’ll be really tight even with slightly more difficult technical content from Nathan. He needs to improve his jump quality from Nationals in order to win (and don’t forget those spins!). I’ve got the feeling that this year’s programs may not receive the same PCS as La Boheme and Rocketman.

1111bm

Final Flight
How do you even define clean. A program can be considered clean, but skated with not much confidence or impact, or with a few shaky or squeezed out jump landings and so on.

But assuming both Yuzu and Nathan execute all of their technical elements with confidence in both SP and FS and have a triumphant skate, then I'm going to assume that Yuzu will beat Nathan in PCS by sth. like 3-4.5 points total maybe. So it would come down to the difference in BV+GOE between them to decide the winner. And since we don't even know Yuzu's layout, no way to tell (Will he include the 4Lz? Will he attempt 5 quads? Backload combos? Does he play it relatively safe to go clean?).
But then it is highly unlikely both of them skate this well in both SP and FS, so it's not gonna come down to this anyway.

I agree that Philip Glass lacks the pop-y sing-along part in the middle (I hated it) and the entertaining ending which made Rocketman a great sell in front of an audience, so it is possible that it'll fall a bit flat. But then again, there won't be much of an audience except for the ppl working in the arena and maybe some skaters (and if Nathan is elated with how his jumps went, he might exude that joy in the end and that might still have quite an impact on the judges).

I do think his Desperados SP can be a good vehicle to show off confidence and swagger, it has that high energy, explosive step sequence in the end and the first jump and especially the Axel are exciting to watch together with the guitar strokes in that section, and I really enjoyed it at Skate America.

ETA: Also, never mind Yuzu, but I wouldn't underestimate Yuma too... (Although it'll be interesting to see how and if he handles the pressure of such a big senior comp. Makes me wonder if the lack of an audience actually helps with nerves and being able to focus or if it's more difficult to perform that way, with no one cheering you on and no faces to perform to)

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
If Nathan's jumps are as meh as they were at Nationals and Skate America, then Yuzuru will win in GOE and PCS. If Nathan shapes up and is clean, he could beat Yuzuru again with his BV advantage. It of course depends on Yuzuru's layout and performance, because if Yuzuru earns +4 or +5 for all his elements and does 4 quads to Nathan's (likely??) 5, he could match Nathan in TES.
I agree that Philip Glass lacks the pop-y sing-along part in the middle (I hated it) and the entertaining ending which made Rocketman a great sell in front of an audience, so it is possible that it'll fall a bit flat. But then again, there won't be much of an audience except for the ppl working in the arena and maybe some skaters (and if Nathan is elated with how his jumps went, he might exude that joy in the end and that might still have quite an impact on the judges).

I do think his Desperados SP can be a good vehicle to show off confidence and swagger, it has that high energy, explosive step sequence in the end and the first jump and especially the Axel are exciting to watch together with the guitar strokes in that section, and I really enjoyed it at Skate America.
I do like the new SP, but Yuzuru wins hands-down in the FS. I miss Rocketman. There's just nothing really impressive about the new FS.
ETA: Also, never mind Yuzu, but I wouldn't underestimate Yuma too... (Although it'll be interesting to see how and if he handles the pressure of such a big senior comp. Makes me wonder if the lack of an audience actually helps with nerves and being able to focus or if it's more difficult to perform that way, with no one cheering you on and no faces to perform to)
I don't want to jinx Yuma, but I certainly wouldn't count him out of the top 6. He's had way more practice than anyone this year and is very consistent. Even when he gets really nervous, like at Junior Worlds last year, he still does pretty well. On the audience front, Kanto Regionals was held without an audience and he got a 287, so I don't know.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Even though it's Worlds it still feels more like a tune up event with the Olympics coming up so soon. Truthfully, it might not hurt to actually lose once in awhile to take away some of the pressure. That said, we all know how much he hates to lose, and if he goes for the 6 quads he controls his own destiny.

lurkz2

On the Ice
I always worry, more so when Nathan looks tight, but especially this year with the safety issues in travelling to Sweden and competing there I hope he stays healthy and safe.

discode

Final Flight
I need to learn how to relax, apparently. 😂 it's the first competition I'll follow as a Nathan fan and I'm scared. seems like it's yuzurus to take, given their respective performances at nationals
Nathan skates better vs Yuzu than he does against other people the last couple years. I don't know, I think he'll do fine. Of course I worry, but I always worry. :LOL:

lurkz2

On the Ice
Sandra Bezic picked Nathan as the current skater with the performance qualities of Kurt Browning (16:18)

I think Nathan was Amber Glenn's first kiss at age 16, though he's described as "a male skater she admired more for his on-ice ability than anything else."

alexaa

Final Flight
Sandra Bezic picked Nathan as the current skater with the performance qualities of Kurt Browning (16:18)

Sandra didn’t hesitate or even think for a second before she said Nathan‘s name. She is so on the same page with Kurt about Natha’s potential to become an extraordinary performer 😊

I really wish there will be some further collaborations with Sandra. Both the two programs she did for Chen Lu using traditional Chinese music are master pieces.

Nathan’s message about the upcoming InspirAsian Speaker Series event Organized by Cornell and Yale

Last edited by a moderator:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Worlds time schedule has been posted. Practice begins Mon Mar 22. SP is Thursday and FS is Saturday.

Also the announcement for WTT

alexaa

Final Flight

1111bm

Final Flight
Not that I expected anything else from him, but his planned jump layouts are (still) killing me... 😩

Also not sure about the mental health part, after seeing him at Nats and comparing to the last two seasons... hopefully he'll succeed at a better mindset when he steps onto the ice for his programs at Worlds.

Last edited: