new article of Sonia Bianchetti | Page 2 | Golden Skate

new article of Sonia Bianchetti

rain

Record Breaker
I had forgotten about that! What a timely reminder. I alwys thought that was incredibly difficult (Michelle did a one-foot sequence like that in her 1998 East of Eden exhibition program, too). To me, that kind of edge work is the heart and soul of figure skating.

But you get more CoP points if you hop from one foot to the other.

Difficult or not, I'm afraid I can't mourn the demise of Slutskaya's one-foot sequence. It was ugly. Very ugly. What I miss in the footwork are the fast footwork passes. Everyone now is trying to pack so much difficulty in that no-one, not even the best skaters, manage to fly across the ice as they once did. THAT was one of the things that made the footwork so exciting.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Everyone now is trying to pack so much difficulty in that no-one, not even the best skaters, manage to fly across the ice as they once did. THAT was one of the things that made the footwork so exciting.
Slutskaya did her one-footed straightline footwork sequence faster and with more flow than just about any pre-CoP skater. I was lucky enough to have seen this live multiple times and against formidable competition.

Speed and flow were the beauty of that element, and I never understood why she had such poor technique in her cross-overs and had to pump her back, when she could maintain her speed and posture across the rink on one foot in footwook.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Slutskaya did her one-footed straightline footwork sequence faster and with more flow than just about any pre-CoP skater. I was lucky enough to have seen this live multiple times and against formidable competition.

Speed and flow were the beauty of that element, and I never understood why she had such poor technique in her cross-overs and had to pump her back, when she could maintain her speed and posture across the rink on one foot in footwook.

Oh I'm not knocking the speed or flow of the element, but we part ways on the posture issue. Having to stay on one foot and do all the turns and edge changes etc. required her to twist and turn her body in very inelegant positions with arms often looking robotic. This was my very problem with the one-foot pass.