New discoveries for the 2015-16 season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New discoveries for the 2015-16 season

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Elif Erdem from Turkey is also very promising & a joy to watch: http://youtu.be/AAwdipHWVY0
I didn't see her Turkish Nationals performances, but I became aware of her because people were discussing her in that thread, so this sorta counts. ;)

here you go, Short Program, Long Program :biggrin: she lost about 9 points for 2 invalid jumping passes at LP, though i still dont understand why her 2Lz2Lo was invalidated :think:

Edit. ohhhh, it was her 4th combo jump

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I was finally able to find Alessia Torgnahi's SP from Itatlian Nationals.

https://youtu.be/JN7hmt3adPQ

Thanks for the link. If I am not mistaken this is a girl who is coached by Svetlana Veretennikova & Stephane Lambiel. Veretennikova is a former coach of Liza Tutktamisheva, I am pleased her student is doing so well. She did say an year ago something like Alessia will be taking the world by storm. At it looks like she might be right. Alessia has some Russian roots - one of the parents or grandparents I am not sure. If you like I can search for the link to that interview with Veretennikova.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Among the youngsters, I really liked Grosul and Colucci in dance. They will be competing at US Nationals in Juniors.

And I really like Isabelle Tobias and Ilia Tkachenko ISR so much better together than with their previous teammates. They will next be at Europeans with a good chance for a top ten finish.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link. If I am not mistaken this is a girl who is coached by Svetlana Veretennikova & Stephane Lambiel. Veretennikova is a former coach of Liza Tutktamisheva, I am pleased her student is doing so well. She did say an year ago something like Alessia will be taking the world by storm. At it looks like she might be right. Alessia has some Russian roots - one of the parents or grandparents I am not sure. If you like I can search for the link to that interview with Veretennikova.
That would be great!! If I'm not mistaken she is still a Novice who just competed as a junior. I think she still is doing a lot of double jumps but there defenitly seems to be a spark in that girl. She cleaned up in the SP.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
i forgot about this young lady until seeing her again at Mentor Nestle Cup, i was really impressed by her expressiveness esp during her SP this season at JGP, its beatiful program without wasting any note or moment, i really love it! (agree with everything Ted said)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXgojdlwA6A, hope you enjoy as well!

Tutto

Record Breaker
That would be great!! If I'm not mistaken she is still a Novice who just competed as a junior. I think she still is doing a lot of double jumps but there defenitly seems to be a spark in that girl. She cleaned up in the SP.

Here is the link:
http://www.izvestiaur.ru/sport/10036501.html

It's in Russian I am afraid and there is not much about Alessia but a nice photo with Veretennikova & Lambiel. It says that Alessia is 11yo (so she is 12 now) and she is one of two main students of Veretennikova who is based in Milan now, also that Alessia is an Italian with Russian roots but no further details on that. She didn't actually say that Lambiel is involved in Alessia's coaching but he must be involved somehow hence the photo. And it was not Veretennikova's words about 'taking the world by storm' but the interviewer's suggestion that Tornaghi sounds like tornado so ... I got it mixed up a little sorry

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Among the youngsters, I really liked Grosul and Colucci in dance. They will be competing at US Nationals in Juniors.

And I really like Isabelle Tobias and Ilia Tkachenko ISR so much better together than with their previous teammates. They will next be at Europeans with a good chance for a top ten finish.

Well you know Doris just how much of a fan I am of the Divine Ms Iz, but I'd rate their chances at Euros even higher than that: I can see top 6. And I'm not generally an optimist.

Grosul and Colucci look like little kids, but they don't dance like little kids. She is a pint-sized diva. He isn't quite at her level yet, but definitely Ones To Watch For The Future.

New to me, but not new, are all the Junior Ice Dancers. Some real talent will working its way up through the ranks for the next few years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:biggrin:

I would love it if they made top six!

There are the 3 Russian teams, 2 Italian teams, Coomes & Buckland, Testa & Csolley, Fournier-Beaudry& Sorensen, and Papadakis and Cizeron who might finish ahead of them at worst. That would put them in tenth.

At best, they have a hope of finishing ahead of all but Bobrova & Soloviev, Papadakis & Cizeron, Cappellini & Lanotte, Coomes & Buckland and Sinitsina & Katsalapov, so maybe sixth is within reach.

katha

On the Ice
:biggrin:

I would love it if they made top six!

There are the 3 Russian teams, 2 Italian teams, Coomes & Buckland, Testa & Csolley, Fournier-Beaudry& Sorensen, and Papadakis and Cizeron who might finish ahead of them at worst. That would put them in tenth.

At best, they have a hope of finishing ahead of all but Bobrova & Soloviev, Papadakis & Cizeron, Cappellini & Lanotte, Coomes & Buckland and Sinitsina & Katsalapov, so maybe sixth is within reach.
IMO Coomes and Buckland aren't a sure thing this season. At least the judges were rather reserved with them in the GP, though their scores in Japan were decent. Of course T/T got their scores in Senior B events (and that Mordovian Ornament comp in Russia seemed to have been an overscoring extravaganza that also gave I/Z a false impression of where they stood with their programs), so it's not really comparable and not at all clear where they'll slot in in a bigger field. Though, yeah, top ten seems absolutely doable. I like them as well, they seem well suited stylistically. :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
As a team returning from injury, Coomes & Buckland are hard to predict. And then the current version of the rules is less favorable to their style than the rules of the 2010-2014 quad.

I find them equally hard to slot in as Tobias & Tkachenko.

Weathergal

Medalist
As a team returning from injury, Coomes & Buckland are hard to predict. And then the current version of the rules is less favorable to their style than the rules of the 2010-2014 quad.

I find them equally hard to slot in as Tobias & Tkachenko.

Totally agree with your previous post about them being better together than with their previous partners. I've always liked her and admired her tenacity so it's great to see her doing so well. They were a "new discovery" for me this season as well.

Other ones for me--some I knew of before but really came to appreciate this season:
Mikhail Kolyada
Alisa Fedichkina
Serafima Sakhanovich
Shoma Uno
Marin Honda
Grant Hochstein
Tim Dolensky
Alex Johnson
Adian Pitkeev
Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau

desertskates

Medalist
I think for me the biggest one is Satoko Miyahara. I clearly knew about her before, especially with her world medal. But this year I've just really appreciating her on a whole new level. There are obvious issues with the jumps, but her quiet elegance, musicality and consistency are truly quite special. I hope she stays free of injury and remains in the mix for a long time to come.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think for me the biggest one is Satoko Miyahara. I clearly knew about her before, especially with her world medal. But this year I've just really appreciating her on a whole new level. There are obvious issues with the jumps, but her quiet elegance, musicality and consistency are truly quite special. I hope she stays free of injury and remains in the mix for a long time to come.

Yes, I started to warm up to her last season but she's becoming one of my favorites this season. Not sure what she can do about the tiny jumps but she really is gorgeous to watch. Excited to see her at Worlds and hope she gets on the podium again.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Polina Tsurskaya Marin Honda Grant Hochstein: I've known their name a couple of years ago but didn't have any thought on them, but they impressed me this season.

Mikhail Kolyada, Tim Dolensky: I had never heard of them until this season, but what a talent they have. I hope Dolensky also makes a big breakthrough at Nationals just like Kolyada did.

The newest surprise for me is Amy Lin of Taiwan from Torun cup. I wonder if she would have represent USA, what future she might've had since she was born and raised and trains in USA.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Tsurkaya and Kolyada are to me the breakout stars of this season. Medvedeva and Uno were on my radar last year, otherwise I'd include them.

You Young is also a marvellous skater at only 11 years old and with a 3Z+3T (and I can imagine how many jokes will be perpetually made about her name and how good she is for her age!). :laugh: :bow:

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The newest surprise for me is Amy Lin of Taiwan from Torun cup. I wonder if she would have represent USA, what future she might've had since she was born and raised and trains in USA.

I noticed Amy during the JGP. I believe she used to skate for the USA but switched to Taiwan so she could have more competing opportunities. I think she is one of Tammy Gambill's students?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I noticed Amy during the JGP. I believe she used to skate for the USA but switched to Taiwan so she could have more competing opportunities. I think she is one of Tammy Gambill's students?

According to her bio on ISU, she indeed trains under Tammy Gambill and Anthony Liu. I didn't know that she competed at US Nationals 2014 and 2015.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A new team for 2015, (although separately seasoned competitors) and therefore a new discovery: Canadian ice dancers Nicole Orford and Asher Hill. Such presence and chemistry for a new team!

Their FD from Autumn Challenge:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39t5n6_n-orford-a-hill-can-free-dance_sport

They did not do so well at the later Challenge, but still qualified for Canadian Nats. When on, they are captivating.:love: