New Worlds Johnny Weir INTERVIEW | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Worlds Johnny Weir INTERVIEW

antmanb

Record Breaker
flying camel said:
Johnny needs to shut up and skate.

But then skating magazines would go out of business if all skaters were allowed to do was shut up and skate!!

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
I enjoyed this interview with Johnny much more than most he has done before. It seems he might be starting to understand what happens when you are too truthful with the press. They do not have the athlete's best interests at heart ... they want a story ... and the more controversial the better. They have no loyalty to the athlete ... in fact, they would prefer to see you get to the top and then document your fall in glorious fashion. I am not trying to rag on every member of the media, but let's face it ... theirs is a cutthroat business, unforunately ... and the results are very predictable.

Reading interviews with Johnny are like riding a rollercoaster ... you never know what to expect. ;)

nymkfan51 said:
I enjoyed this interview with Johnny much more than most he has done before....(Most reporters) do not have the athlete's best interests at heart ...
To me, that is why interviews by Kathleen Bangs are so interesting and enjoyable. She obviously likes the person and she does not have any kind of agenda of her own to make him look bad, or controversial, etc. She (and her readers) are genuinely interested in what the subject has to say.

MM :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm glad that Johnny is learning to get along with his competitors (Evan, and even Brian J), and I like his comment about Michelle. What I am really glad, though, is that he seems to understand that he is setting himself up for the press attacks -- so he won't be so upset when he gets them. However, I don't see where he can think now that Americans are gold-driven. Sasha and Michelle both have gotten TV appearances, endorsement deals, etc., without the OGM.

antmanb

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I'm glad that Johnny is learning to get along with his competitors (Evan, and even Brian J), and I like his comment about Michelle. What I am really glad, though, is that he seems to understand that he is setting himself up for the press attacks -- so he won't be so upset when he gets them. However, I don't see where he can think now that Americans are gold-driven. Sasha and Michelle both have gotten TV appearances, endorsement deals, etc., without the OGM.

And they both have had an overwhelming number of media sources declaring them "losers of the gold" as opposed to winners of silver (and bronze). I thought i read that Sasha had an almost embarssing (as in the interviewer was embarassing himself compared to Sasha's excellent composure) interview on the ice program on US tv during the Olympics.

I think its clear that tv appearences, endrosements etc are not totally dependant on the Gold Medal but the media focus pretty much is.

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
attyfan said:
However, I don't see where he can think now that Americans are gold-driven. Sasha and Michelle both have gotten TV appearances, endorsement deals, etc., without the OGM.

That's true, but it is also true that Michelle and Sasha have been called chokers, etc. Pretty disturbing to me, to talk this way about 2 athletes who have won an Olympic silver medal.
It has been very annoying to me over the years to see, that unless you win Olympic gold, you might as well get used to being classified as second rate. Just consider the gathering of the U.S. special Oly gold medal club that was brought together at Nationals this year. It's not that I think that their accomplishments shouldn't be recognized, but I found that rather insulting to all the bronze and silver medalists ... some of whom skated better performances than the gold medalists, but were just unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, in some respects, Johnny is right. We don't seem to celebrate the others as we should ... it's gold or goodbye.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I thought that Johnny's interview was awesome ~ as usual. He's truthful & sassy & makes no apologies for being himself. More athletes could learn from him...

Numbers Cruncher

Rinkside
Just kids

Good morning!

I thought it was a delightful interview. The one thing he said that I think we all need to repeat to ourselves every day:

"Most of us competitive skaters are really just young kids, and these sportswriters are so quick to harshly label us a failure or washed up."

This is so true. My DD and I spent the entire week at Nationals, we saw the Novice skaters all the way up to the Senior Final. We stayed in the official hotel and rode the bus with gangs of skaters. We ate lunch next to many of them and heard them talking. They are just kids. These kids may travel a good deal and look pretty grown up but they are usually fairly naive. A competitive figure skater doesn't have much time to learn to be grown-up, they just skate, skate, skate.

I'm also the parent of a skater and an official, so I spend a lot of time around skaters. The majority are delightful individuals. I just wish that we would remember that we are part of their support system. We may not be in love with their style or their personality, but we can thank them for providing us with countless hours of enjoyment and suspense, many times at the expense of their health.

Thanks for reading.

NC

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Numbers Cruncher said:
Good morning!

I thought it was a delightful interview. The one thing he said that I think we all need to repeat to ourselves every day:

"Most of us competitive skaters are really just young kids, and these sportswriters are so quick to harshly label us a failure or washed up."

This is so true. My DD and I spent the entire week at Nationals, we saw the Novice skaters all the way up to the Senior Final. We stayed in the official hotel and rode the bus with gangs of skaters. We ate lunch next to many of them and heard them talking. They are just kids. These kids may travel a good deal and look pretty grown up but they are usually fairly naive. A competitive figure skater doesn't have much time to learn to be grown-up, they just skate, skate, skate.

I'm also the parent of a skater and an official, so I spend a lot of time around skaters. The majority are delightful individuals. I just wish that we would remember that we are part of their support system. We may not be in love with their style or their personality, but we can thank them for providing us with countless hours of enjoyment and suspense, many times at the expense of their health.

Thanks for reading.

NC

:clap: :clap: Great post. Great point.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
antmanb said:
... I think its clear that tv appearences, endrosements etc are not totally dependant on the Gold Medal but the media focus pretty much is.

Ant

Yes, but Johnny didn't talk about the American media focus being medal-driven, but instead, that Americans were medal driven. My points is simply that Michelle's and Sasha's popularity show that Americans are not merely medal driven, and the opinions of the media are not necessarily representative of the public at large (let alone skating fans)

Of course, Johnny has stated before that he enjoys being different from Michelle (and now, Sasha) in his outlook and speech, so maybe, he is feeling some popular consequences of that decision.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
attyfan said:
Yes, but Johnny didn't talk about the American media focus being medal-driven, but instead, that Americans were medal driven. My points is simply that Michelle's and Sasha's popularity show that Americans are not merely medal driven, and the opinions of the media are not necessarily representative of the public at large (let alone skating fans)

Of course, Johnny has stated before that he enjoys being different from Michelle (and now, Sasha) in his outlook and speech, so maybe, he is feeling some popular consequences of that decision.

Thank you! I agree that shot was not aimed at the media, but instead at Americans. My snitfit is over, but I do believe the Impudent Little Puppy should learn to give respect if he wants it returned. He lost some from me. I don't think he's an idiot. I don't think he has a whole lot of common sense going for him. So, while I officially apologize for the Camille remark, I do wish he would shut up until he grows up.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
antmanb said:
But then skating magazines would go out of business if all skaters were allowed to do was shut up and skate!!

Ant

Amen :laugh: !!

Seriously, if these guys didn't speak all season....it would make for a pretty boring sport. I think the great thing for Johnny is how rapidly he got a lesson in Reality 101, how quickly he learned to be savvy about how the world/media works, and...that he has decided to 'stay the course' and still just be himself. Good for him.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
attyfan said:

I think its semantics though to start distinguishing between Americans and the American Media and to whcih johnny was specifically referring...are the American Media not Americans? Equally it begs the question which Americans is Johnny talking about? He surely can't be talking the whole of the American population...where are his questionnaires...etc etc? What could his impressions of Americans be...partly the 4 out of 5 nasty emails he received ....pretty high ratio of Americans there telling him gold is all that matters, and then what he reads in the media. To me that's who he was talking about. At the end of the day its Johnny Weir so half the people will think either was he's talking out of his a$$ and the others will interpret what he says...i can see how as an american who doesn't think gold is everything you might take offense...by and large in the UK America is touted as a country that says anything short of gold is worthless...and there are pretty much a split of what people think of that. Many people in the UK think that attitude is partly why the US do so well at Olympics with their medal count, some think "its the taking part that counts"...i'd probably say its the taking part that counts but then i've never been much of a competitive person!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
How "savvy" is it to tear down the people you want to represent? :confused: That was a cheap shot.

I would have thought he's smarting about emails from "the people that he represents" that laid into him for his skating in the Olympic LP so he generalised...i bet (like a lot of things) he didn't think too hard before he said what he was feeling. I don't think he sat down and premeditatedly (if that's even a word!) thought, you know what i'm tear down all Americans in my next interview...that'll do wonders for my popularity going into worlds!!

Ant

SusanBeth

Final Flight
antmanb said:
I think its semantics though to start distinguishing between Americans and the American Media and to whcih johnny was specifically referring...are the American Media not Americans? Equally it begs the question which Americans is Johnny talking about? He surely can't be talking the whole of the American population...where are his questionnaires...etc etc? What could his impressions of Americans be...partly the 4 out of 5 nasty emails he received ....pretty high ratio of Americans there telling him gold is all that matters, and then what he reads in the media. To me that's who he was talking about. At the end of the day its Johnny Weir so half the people will think either was he's talking out of his a$$ and the others will interpret what he says...i can see how as an american who doesn't think gold is everything you might take offense...by and large in the UK America is touted as a country that says anything short of gold is worthless...and there are pretty much a split of what people think of that. Many people in the UK think that attitude is partly why the US do so well at Olympics with their medal count, some think "its the taking part that counts"...i'd probably say its the taking part that counts but then i've never been much of a competitive person!

Ant

He used the term Americans. I took that to mean Americans. In a previous paragraph, he was speaking about how the media was doing their job. It's hard enough dealing with the world's false view of us as a people. Having someone I have supported and defended add to the BS about the country I love really offends me.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He did say most of the emails he received were positive, and I think his down-putting comments were directed to the writers of the negative ones.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:sheesh:
SusanBeth said:
He used the term Americans. I took that to mean Americans. In a previous paragraph, he was speaking about how the media was doing their job. It's hard enough dealing with the world's false view of us as a people. Having someone I have supported and defended add to the BS about the country I love really offends me.

Huh? I'm sorry, but Americans are focused on winning and gold and all that good stuff. Its naive to think differently. This country was built by people who focused on winning. We teach our children that success is a value and losing is equated with weakness. We encourage a "winning is all that matters" approach to all things from sports to careers to cars to our lawns and then get queezy when its thrown back in our faces. Why get offended by truth? It may not be the best way to deal, but its the American way....

Johnny is just reflecting what the culture has taught him ~ its not a knock against America ~ but it is what it is...:sheesh:

edited to add: why do you think we as a country are still so facinated by Tanya Harding ~ the original poster child for "I must win at all costs!" If she'd actually pulled off a gold medal in '94 (even if it was stripped later...) I doubt she'd be a no-skating, outta shape has-been... but that's just me.

Last edited:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I am not saying there aren't some Americans like that, there are. There are some Canadians, British, French, Russians ....like that too. (I know Russians don't really want to win. They couldn't care less about medals. They would just as soon trash them as go through the bother of keeping them. :rolleye:)

I know Kwan lost everything when she didn't win. People wouldn't cross the street to watch her skate for free. :rolleye: However, there are plenty of us who think about other things. There are plenty of us who do not believe winning is everything and who do not teach our children that. My children have definitely been taught to value kindness, generosity, compassion, friendship, honest work, honest effort... There are people here with strong moral values. There always has been and always will be. We may not make a lot of noise, but we definitely are worthy of respect.

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Johnny reminds me of my ex in college. My ex was "infatuated" with another country/culture and was always bringing its superiority versus America into the conversation at every possible moment. A good many of his friends were similar.One asked me why I would subscribe to the "regular" Newsweek when the international version of Newsweek was so much better. (Well-funds had a little bit to do with it thought 20 year old me and I was happy with regular Newsweek which DID cover international events as well...)

Don't get me wrong. I have always been very interested in other countries and world history. Russian history and culture, in fact, have been one of my favorite reading topics since childhood. But, I do have a little bit of common sense and I know that Russians would identify me as American no matter how much I emulated them. If I lived there fifty years (unlikely at this point as I would have to live to 90!)--they would probably refer to me as that "American" who speaks Russian pretty well! I guess I'm trying to say that you can be comfortable being an American without having cookie cutter views about everything. My ex never seemed to get this. We had to listen to music from X, find clothes that came from X, etc. etc.

Johnny strikes me as a relatively good-hearted , open minded guy who just needs to mature. Really good interview, Kathleen! Thanks!

Last edited: