Olympic Moment Programs, Oldies or Newbies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Moment Programs, Oldies or Newbies

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@labgoat, thank you for the link to G&G 1988 😍- it's one of my most favorite Olympic moment programs ever. Joy in skating, to the nth power!

Also, thanks for the link to Tracy and Rob! 😍 They were so adorable together.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Volosozhar/Trankov winning Olympics on home soil. For me they were the best pair of that Olympic cycle and I would say the most expressive pair ever. Even through the TV it was super strong enjoyment for me and this particular free skate is for me definition of 10 in Performance. I've seen it at least twenty times since then.😅

Amei

Record Breaker
Volosozhar/Trankov winning Olympics on home soil. For me they were the best pair of that Olympic cycle and I would say the most expressive pair ever. Even through the TV it was super strong enjoyment for me and this particular free skate is for me definition of 10 in Performance. I've seen it at least twenty times since then.😅

I hated that FS, I much preferred their SP that season. Actually in general now that I think on it - I didn't care for any of their FS's; they always shined far more in their SPs to me.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I hated that FS, I much preferred their SP that season. Actually in general now that I think on it - I didn't care for any of their FS's; they always shined far more in their SPs to me.

I agree that this SP was better than the FS, but i chose the FS for the emotions at the end.😊

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Some of my favourite moments were people "pushing through" to end up on the podium, in spite of not being the favourite, having had technical issues or injuries, etc.

- Lu Chen, 1998
- Elvis Stojko, 1998
- Dan Zhang (+ Hao Zhang), 2006

Love a surprise medalist too like Elizabeth Manley or Philippe Candeloro.

Comeback moments are awesome too - like Ito's 3A (or the aforementioned Dan Zhang after that horrific throw fall), Asada in 2014 or Chen in 2018 slaying their FS after disastrous SPs, or Sav/Massot coming back to win 2018 pairs to finally get Aliona her gold - for me, that was the most satisfying gold of the 2018 Olympics.

I will also admit that skaters like Sotnikova and Lipinski getting it together for the skate of their lives (especially in the face of people hating on them) is wonderful to watch.

nguyhm

On the Ice
My most memorable Olympics programs:
Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - 1992 FS
Klimova/Ponomarenko - 1992 FD
Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - 1994 FS
Gordeeva/Grinkov - 1994 gala
Kurt Browning - 1994 FS (heartbroken that he fell on the 3A in the short program and lost any chance of winning gold)
Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze - 2002 SP
Mao Asada - 2014 FS
Julia Lipnistkia - 2014 FS at the team event
Nathan Chen - 2018 FS
Savchenko/Brunot - 2018 FS

theblade

On the Ice
Rob and Tracy were so special and that was a truly memorable performance. I still have my Skate The Dream mug from the memorial put on the November after Rob's passing.

From an article in The National Post:

"Skate the Dream: A Tribute to Rob McCall was held at Toronto’s Varsity Arena the November after McCall’s death. Tickets sold so quickly organizers added a second show. Wilson, Brian Orser — also a close friend of McCall’s — Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning, Toller Cranston, Katarina Witt, Kristi Yamaguchi and several other skating giants took part, raising more than $500,000 for AIDS research."

So many Olympic medal winners celebrating their friend's impact in the skating world. It wasn't at the Olympics, but it was an Olympic moment (night full of them!) nonetheless.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
For me Torvill and Dean Bolero and everything else is also ran (yes their Paso Doble but THE moment was Bolero even if not their greatest programme though I think that debateable - still can't see anyone else skating to Bolero)
Of the also rans
Virtue Moir 2010
Mishkutenok/Dmitriev - 1994 FS
Katerina Witt FS Carmen 1988 - she was Carmen
Kurt Browning FS 1994
Alexei Yagudin Winter 2002
Joannie Rochette 2010 SP
Virtue Moir 2018 FS
Bourne and Kraatz Riverdance 1998

(I would love to say Curry and Cousins both of whose programmes I have watched since but they were before my time and I didn't have that initial excitement)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

(I would love to say Curry and Cousins both of whose programmes I have watched since but they were before my time and I didn't have that initial excitement)

Well, it's not before my time::biggrin:

John Curry's iconic free skate at the 1976 Olympics:

Jumps will come and jumps will go, but style and grace like John Curry's is timeless. :)