Olympic Moment Programs, Oldies or Newbies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympic Moment Programs, Oldies or Newbies

Fourleaf Clover

Rinkside
Country
Philippines
Yuzuru Hanyu SP (Sochi 2014)-
The one program that catapulted him to stardom post Olympics. It spawned countless memes and earned him a status of a heartthrob in various social media.

Yuna Kim SP & LP (Vancouver 2010)-
All Hail Queen Yuna

Yuzuru Hanyu ( Pyeongchang 2018)- The perfect "Return of the King" moment after a long tumultuous journey.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Does said moment have to happen at the Olympics?
I understood it doesn't: 'an Olympic moment' for skaters could even be at a Nationals or even at an obscure competition but one where you feel absolutely satisfied with your skate, that it's the best you've ever done. For some that actually happens at The olympics.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My baptism into figure skating cannot be surpassed. 1976 Olympic Champions, each and every one a legend:

Dorothy Hamill
John Curry
Rodnina/Zaitsev
Pakhomova/Gorshkov

I remember being glued to the television in a small southern USA town, watching with family, transfixed by something we'd never seen before.

My mother thought John Curry must be from another planet. We cheered Dorothy Hamill like she was family as flowers rained down on the ice. In the heat of the Cold War, my ultra-conservative father thought the Soviet champions were the best thing he'd ever seen.

I've spent the next 45 years chasing the high from that single event. The 1976 Olympics spoiled me. I thought EVERY skating competition would be like that. The reality has been otherwise, but every now and then, I'm awed by what I see, and it makes it worth it to follow the sport.

sworddance21

On the Ice
My baptism into figure skating cannot be surpassed. 1976 Olympic Champions, each and every one a legend:

Dorothy Hamill
John Curry
Rodnina/Zaitsev
Pakhomova/Gorshkov

I remember being glued to the television in a small southern USA town, watching with family, transfixed by something we'd never seen before.

My mother thought John Curry must be from another planet. We cheered Dorothy Hamill like she was family as flowers rained down on the ice. In the heat of the Cold War, my ultra-conservative father thought the Soviet champions were the best thing he'd ever seen.

I've spent the next 45 years chasing the high from that single event. The 1976 Olympics spoiled me. I thought EVERY skating competition would be like that. The reality has been otherwise, but every now and then, I'm awed by what I see, and it makes it worth it to follow the sport.
1976 was the first time I was mesmerized by the winter Olympics. I sat in front of my little black and white TV Mom let me put in my room for those 2 weeks (I was 12) and watched every second of the coverage, even through the closing credits. I've been a fan of figure skating (and skiing, and bobsledding, and, and, and) ever since!

rugbyfan

On the Ice
1976 was the first time I was mesmerized by the winter Olympics. I sat in front of my little black and white TV Mom let me put in my room for those 2 weeks (I was 12) and watched every second of the coverage, even through the closing credits. I've been a fan of figure skating (and skiing, and bobsledding, and, and, and) ever since!
For me it was 1988. My mother hated TV (had a habit of hoovering if it was on), but my father persuaded her to let me watch all the Calgary Olympics that I could (provided that I also did my homework). What an Olympics - Katarina Witt as Carmen and Debbie Thomas, Elizabeth Manley; the battle of the Brians and for me, Wilson and McCall and almost above everything Gordeeva and Grinkov. I was spellbound. I had only really seen Ice Dance before (because of Torvill and Dean) but those Olympics made me a fan for life.

Weathergal

Medalist
And Jim McKay to host it all - no one comes close to him!