One step at a time for Japan’s Kozuka | Golden Skate

One step at a time for Japan’s Kozuka

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last season Japan’s Takahiko Kozuka had to deal with the biggest disappointment of his career: despite finishing third at Japanese Nationals, he was not included in the national Olympic team.

More

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview. Watching Kozuka this season has been difficult; it seems like he's not getting the lift he needs on his jumps. And for him to watch younger teammates Machida, Mura, and Murakami all win GPs... I hope he gets it together by nationals and makes the World team.

I'm glad he believes he can skate two clean programs, and the injuries aren't severe. Though the way he struggled off the chronic back injury is a little worrying...

Barb

Record Breaker
Excellent interview, thank you, I really hope he does well at nationals, and I am glad he is interested about other aspects of this sport. I did not know his grandfather spoke chinese and russian :eek:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you for the great interview. How difficult it must be to skate when he is injured, but still has the weight of such expectations:

The skater is also supported by the Toyota Motor Corporation.

“Toyota is my sponsor and they create comfortable conditions for me to train,” Kozuka explained. “I think they selected me because they wanted me to be a role model for Toyota workers, to motivate them to keep improving and to work hard. To give an example of persistence and determination.”

“It’s a pity that I was not able to skate that well at Skate Canada and in Moscow,” Kozuka continued. “I think I set quite a poor example, but I will keep trying my best and to skate well at Japanese Nationals to show support to them.”

I hope Takahiko skates his very best at Nationals!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for this interview. I've admired Taka ever since the first (and only time) time we got to see him skate (2007 Skate America - Reading, PA). He's still my favorite Japanese men's skater, and I hope he does really well @ Japanese Nationals.