Poland
Does anyone know why Vivian LE is not in start orders? :cry:

champs

Final Flight
Does anyone know why Vivian LE is not in start orders? :cry:
Sylvia@UnseenSkaters tweeted two hours ago on her withdrawal:
https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/799285006736785408

ETA: skatelikewind1966 wrote this last month in the U.S. ladies thread:
Vivian injured her ankle during off-ice conditioning not but a couple of weeks after changing coaches, it was not bone related.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Ladies-skating-2016-17&p=1499334#post1499334

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sylvia@UnseenSkaters tweeted two hours ago on her withdrawal:
https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/799285006736785408

ETA: skatelikewind1966 wrote this last month in the U.S. ladies thread:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-Ladies-skating-2016-17&p=1499334#post1499334

I checked Sylvia twitter earlier, but there wasn't info yet then, so thanks for info :thank:

Does this mean Vivian is out of Nationals and also no chance for assignments next season? :( Or just no chance for Junior Worlds?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I checked Sylvia twitter earlier, but there wasn't info yet then, so thanks for info :thank:

Does this mean Vivian is out of Nationals and also no chance for assignments next season? :( Or just no chance for Junior Worlds?

This just means she's out of Nationals unless they'd give her an injury bye for some reason, but that's very very unlikely to happen.

They COULD still pull her into Junior Worlds but it'd also be incredibly unlikely that they'd give her a spot like that given that she hasn't competed all season except for Regionals, and that other skaters have been competing and improving.

It really shouldn't have an impact on next season. There's always summer monitoring for that, provided she's recovered from whatever injury issues she's going through.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Noooo, I was so looking forwRd to seeing Vivian :cry: :sad21:

(Fingers crossed for injury bye, if she's ready...)

In happier news, I'm discovering a lot of enjoyable lower-level skaters to watch out for. Noelle Rosa in Intermediate and Emma Coppess and Lily Sun in Novice were all great "finds" and I hope to find a few more skaters to root for going into Nationals (other than skaters I already know and like, e.g. Alysa Liu and a few of the junior girls). It's very refreshing to watch the up-and-coming skaters because I've never seen most of them and, therefore, have no opinions or attachments to skaters. Certainly not as nerve-wracking to watch competitions when you don't even know who the skaters are, and you get to become acquainted with the 12-year-olds you will probably someday become intensely emotionally invested in. :laugh2:

champs

Final Flight
Sylvia wrote this on her unseenskaters' site (see the the last link in cathlen's OP post) bolded by me:
UPDATE: Vivian Le (SWP4) has withdrawn, reportedly due to injury (no medical/byes are given to Nationals) and the alternate has replaced her.
Based on years of her devoting herself to covering local comps I trust her on pretty much everything she writes.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Sylvia wrote this on her unseenskaters' site (see the the last link in cathlen's OP post) bolded by me:

Based on years of her devoting herself to covering local comps I trust her on pretty much everything she writes.

Oh, I check Sylvia's site regularly. I just hadn't seen that update yet.

champs

Final Flight
My internet connection has been abysmal the past few weeks with problems so I'm only going thru the results. Alysa Liu in the Novice ladies did 3Lz+3T and 3F+1Lo+3S in the free with non-negative GOEs. She did 3Lz+3T in SP as well but the 3T was deemed <. She didn't receive great PCSs compared with other podium finishers so maybe that's what she has to work on, placing second overall and the winner Isabella Miller had a 3T+3T in the short. Would be great if anyone who watched the IN videos can comment on the quality aspect of their jumps as well as their skating/presentation.

I'm looking forward to the Junior ladies: Kaitlyn Nguyen, Gabrielle Noullet (curious if she will try a +3Lo combo,) and Starr Andrew in particular, and for the Senior ladies of couse Paige Rydberg, Caroline Zhang, and Angela Wang (hopefully she's ready for this, assuming the reason for her withdrawal from SA was an injury.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Angela Wang (hopefully she's ready for this, assuming the reason for her withdrawal from SA was an injury.)

?? Are you trying to cast doubt on what USFS officially had announced?? If so, why are you doubtful??

Angela Wang withdrew from 2016 Progressive Skate America due to a right ankle injury. She has resumed light training with support from her medical team and coaching staff.

http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=90042&type=media (Oct 12)​

Go, Angela, Caroline, Shotaro, and Sean :yay:.

Sorry about Vivian's withdrawal :(.

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
?? Are you trying to cast doubt on what USFS officially had announced?? If so, why are you doubtful??
You misunderstood me, I just didn't follow what was going on with the SA entries back then or check the usfs site (I rarely do) so didn't know the reason for Angela's WD, hence injury simply being my guess and I wanted to avoid writing something I don't know for certain as a fact, that' all. I'm just a casual fs fan in Japan with no insider knowledge or anything. Oh and thanks for citing the info to confirm my guess.

humbaba

Final Flight
My internet connection has been abysmal the past few weeks with problems so I'm only going thru the results. Alysa Liu in the Novice ladies did 3Lz+3T and 3F+1Lo+3S in the free with non-negative GOEs. She did 3Lz+3T in SP as well but the 3T was deemed <. She didn't receive great PCSs compared with other podium finishers so maybe that's what she has to work on, placing second overall and the winner Isabella Miller had a 3T+3T in the short. Would be great if anyone who watched the IN videos can comment on the quality aspect of their jumps as well as their skating/presentation.

I watched the novice ladies comp on IN and, going on memory, these were my impressions. Isabella Miller seems a very well rounded skater. Decent jumps and good energy. She held my attention. Alysa Liu is beyond adorable. She is tiny and exuberant. A quick launch and tight rotation on her jumps. I love her spins, which are very fast. To my eye, Alysa's weaknesses are a lack of flexibility in some areas and a lack of speed. Especially the latter. Alysa is vivacious and could give Megan Duhamel a run for her money in the chatter box department. Watching her in the kiss and cry with Rudy was especially entertaining.

I was thrilled to pieces that Lily Sun finished third and will go to junior nationals. I've been a fan of Lily for a couple of years now. Her jumps were more consistent than they were last year. She still has a tendency to slow down and hesitate as she prepares to jump. Lily needs to work on speed and power. She doesn't need to work on charm as she already has that in abundance. I'm so glad Lily is continuing to progress.

Emma Coppess held on to the fourth spot so she gets to go to nationals too. I think Emma also is competing in pairs.

I felt for Beverly Zhu, who finished fifth. She seemed so disappointed. Beverly is a soft, elegant skater. I would love to see how she develops, so I hope she continues with her skating.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Emma Coppess held on to the fourth spot so she gets to go to nationals too. I think Emma also is competing in pairs.

Yup, entered in Junior Pairs with Robert Hennings. I think they were also JGP alternates for at least one of the events.

As for other Pacs disciplines, I'm excited for Junior Ladies. Starr Andrews, Kaitlyn Nguyen, a handful of other JGP competitors and past Nationals competitors, and perpetual Goldenskate favorite Liza Kulik.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I watched the novice ladies comp on IN and, going on memory, these were my impressions. Isabella Miller seems a very well rounded skater. Decent jumps and good energy. She held my attention. Alysa Liu is beyond adorable. She is tiny and exuberant. A quick launch and tight rotation on her jumps. I love her spins, which are very fast. To my eye, Alysa's weaknesses are a lack of flexibility in some areas and a lack of speed. Especially the latter. Alysa is vivacious and could give Megan Duhamel a run for her money in the chatter box department. Watching her in the kiss and cry with Rudy was especially entertaining.

I was thrilled to pieces that Lily Sun finished third and will go to junior nationals. I've been a fan of Lily for a couple of years now. Her jumps were more consistent than they were last year. She still has a tendency to slow down and hesitate as she prepares to jump. Lily needs to work on speed and power. She doesn't need to work on charm as she already has that in abundance. I'm so glad Lily is continuing to progress.

I felt for Beverly Zhu, who finished fifth. She seemed so disappointed. Beverly is a soft, elegant skater. I would love to see how she develops, so I hope she continues with her skating.

A very good overview, enjoyed reading and I couldn't agree more. Alyssa has pretty good jump technique and decent skating skills. I do not think she could do much more with that little body of hers, as she continues to age and her body develops, I am confident she will gain more speed on the ice, more height on her jumps - I look forward to watching her and hope the body changes do not negatively impact her.

Isabella, on the other hand, appears to be older, much taller and more "mature", so she seems to glide more nicely on the ice with good power/speed and nice height on her jumps. Experience does certainly pay dividends to good, techinically sound skaters.

Lily is a ray of sunshine and a whole lot of charm. I think there are many similarities between her and Alyssa but overall I'd have to give to the edge to Alyssa, just personal preference.

Lovely performances by all the young ladies!

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice

Just to further clarify, there are, unfortunately, no medical byes to Sectionals or Nationals.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I'm not so sure what his short-term goals are but I have seen his name associated with several younger skaters, I think he may very well have a nice career in coaching/ choreography if that is what he enjoys. What a class act, all around!

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Looking at the card for Juniors, there are 8 junior ladies who are ISP and/or Team USA competitors (out of the 14 competing) which means 4 will be going home. By far the toughest Section, led by Starr who is looking strong going into this competition. Good luck to all the girls.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Angela Wang just got a 69.52 for her SP, wow. I can't wait to see those protocols (since I can't watch this live)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Whoa. Livvy Shilling, who has never made it out of Sectionals (made it to Junior Nationals ONCE back when it was a separate event for Juvenile and intermediate) has put herself into the picture with a 58.79!

Wow. Hopefully she can deliver a successful FS!

Last edited: