Park So-Youn: The teen tipped to be South Korea's 'next Kim Yu-Na' | Golden Skate

Park So-Youn: The teen tipped to be South Korea's 'next Kim Yu-Na'

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seoul, South Korea (CNN) - It's not easy following in the footsteps of a sporting legend -- but it helps when they are willing to guide you in the right direction.

Park So-Youn has taken over the mantle of South Korea's top figure skater from Kim Yu-Na, and the teenager is grateful that the former Olympic and world champion is giving back to the sport following her retirement last year. [More]

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I hope all the Korean athletes that participate in the next Olympics can shine in their home country. Especially SoYoun :cheer:

dna5019

Final Flight
I wish So Youn the best of luck with her skating. I really do think she has the potential for greatness. That being said, I really don't like the comparisons made between her and Yuna. Let her develop her own strengths and be who she is. I'm worried about the pressure she might have to deal with along with the expectations... :hopelessness:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it will be awhile before we see someone even close to as good as Yuna from South Korea. Most likely it will be a girl who hadn't even started skating before she saw Yuna at the Olympics in 2010 meaning she's probably around 9 or 10 years old now.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I'm pessimistic on SoYoun Park's outlook. She has potential, but she is really falling short of it. They need to get her to a foreign coach and diversify her skating style (she can only skate "soft" right now), and toughen up her competitive nerves.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it will be awhile before we see someone even close to as good as Yuna from South Korea. Most likely it will be a girl who hadn't even started skating before she saw Yuna at the Olympics in 2010 meaning she's probably around 9 or 10 years old now.
I don't think that South Korea will ever have a skater of Yuna's caliber again. Apart from the fact that Yuna was a great figure skater she was a even greater competitor, because she was able to deliver in competition even if she did not do well in practice. This is very rare. So-Youn is a lovely figure skater but I don't think that she has Yuna's mindset.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It's gonna be a while before we see someone of Kim's competitive and skating caliber period, never mind from South Korea.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I like her, but I think 'next Yuna Kim' is a stretch for anyone right now (except, of course, Mao ;)).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Poor girl. I despise the "the next XYZ" tag.

Plisskin

Medalist
Most people who get dubbed "Next Insert Person Here" usually fall way short of that title. Let Soyoun be Soyoun.

oriquey

Final Flight
I love So Youn's skating and I would love to see her develop. But that is one heck of a pressure to put on her. Hope she can configure that pressure into strength.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am also excited to watch SoYoun's future development! cannot wait :yay:
Also, practice makes perfect! Yuna is mentally strong and can put her best when the stake is the highest, but she is also the one skater that has the highest jump consistency and most complete run-through during practices that I have watched in person.
Therefore, confidence comes from great everyday practice and reliable technique. SoYoun just practice, and trust your practice and you will be on the right way.

cooper

Medalist
yuna has the mental strength of rocky. so youn doesn't have any of that. i really doubt anyone from korea can even match that strength. ever again. now korea will host the next olympics, imagine the pressure for her to deliver. it is really hard to even put a clean skate without collapsing. imagine you're skating in front of your home country in the biggest event. yikes!

Layback11

Record Breaker
Exactly. She just needs to be herself.

As she should. She's wonderful no matter who she is or isn't being compared to. I'm afraid statements like this will turn into a skater she isn't, and I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
This article must put a lot of pressure on her, she is not as strong mentally as Yuna, I will be happy if she can place top 10 at Worlds and/or Olympics. Yuna at her age had stronger spins and I liked her presentation a lot better but some skaters are late bloomers so we'll never know.

"Yu-Na Kim is a unique skater -- she can't be copied. So-Youn needs to follow her own character and she will be another great Korean skater, but not a copy of Yu-Na," he says.

I agree with this, there are things I see in So Youn's skating that is borrowed from Yuna, might have to do with David Wilson but she's got that bent free leg for the layback that I find really unattractive and the poor extension on the arabesque spiral. Now Yuna is a skater who was (is?) immensely talented and beautiful to watch but that doesn't mean everything she does is perfect, stuff like the bent leg and non-pointed toes don't look very good. Since So Youn has a ballet background I expected better in that department.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Maybe soyoun went to the same teachers for basics as Yuna did? Hence the similar flaws?

russianbratz

Match Penalty
I would describe it as kind of a heft to her lower body. Not a lot of freedom or extension. But a lot of good flow, power and edge control. I think Yuna kind of compensated for this with how long her limbs were in general (also on her layback Yuna's upper body was so far backwards it gave the spin a whole different line that was pretty unique). It was easier to overlook. So-Youn doesn't have quite the same build. She really should fix her layback at least. It can't be that hard to push her leg back a bit further.

Last edited: