Patrick Chan announces new coaching team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan announces new coaching team

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd braced myself for the chorus of "But Patrick needs a jump coach!!" responses.!!

My first thought was, I'm loving this, after he said how glad he was to get away from Detroit.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Had Marina actually ever coached or choreographed for men??

She's choreographed programs for Takahiko Kozuka and a few other men.

ETA: She choreographed his FS from 2011, when he won the silver World medal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZb1gr5g61g

MZ has choreographed also for Pitkeev and for Tomoki Hiwatashi.

ETA (on Sep 26): And for Nathan Chen.​

Meanwhile, "Oleg Epstein has 35 years of experience as a singles and ice dance coach and choreographer...."

I wish Patrick good luck.

ETA:
Marina coached her son Fedor Andreev to the Junior Canadian title.

And Fedor has been a coach in Canton ... although I don't know whether he still is.
His bio still is on the site, but it has a lot of obsolete information. Tessa and Scott still are shown on the site as if they never left. Cathy and Chris Reed too.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I braced myself for the chorus of "But Patrick needs a jump coach!!" responses. Hm, maybe they're all out to early lunch, brunch, working, asleep etc.

My first thought was, I'm loving this, after he said how glad he was to get away from Detroit.

I don't think those "jump coach" folks realise that Patrick's priority and strength has always been the quality of his skating. Maybe his priority isn't getting a coach who can help him get a quad lutz, but rather a coach that can continue to push him artistically while maintaining championship level mentality/focus. I think Zoueva's an interesting choice, and not as unconventional as Chan going to somebody who is more technically inclined like Mishin or somebody who already has a men's star pupil like Brian Orser/Tom Z/Rafael Artyunyan/Kori Ade/etc. The reality is, he probably didn't go to an obvious men's singles coach because most of them are already coaching other men, or most of them might not have the experience/vibe he was looking for.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i trust Patrick has made the right choice for himself after working with them in the off-season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think those "jump coach" folks realise that Patrick's priority and strength has always been the quality of his skating. Maybe his priority isn't getting a coach who can help him get a quad lutz, but rather a coach that can continue to push him artistically while maintaining championship level mentality/focus.

Absolutely. Well said.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick needs a jump coach and instead he goes to coaches who are anything but that. :palmf:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am in awe.... go Pat, make it your own way!!! HOPEFULLY Unpredictable original experimental should bring a whole other side of Patrick we have yet to see.

TGee

Record Breaker
My sense is that Marina Zoueva has a broader history coaching singles skaters than many recognize. I recall she coached singles skaters as well as dance in Canada before moving to Detroit. Patrick may however be the skater that puts the international spotlight on her expertise in this discipline.

It sounds like a sincerely viable solution for Patrick. I really hope this works!:coffee:

But I have a couple of questions in mind:

1. How will it work when consistency issues come up? Consistency and quality in jumps will be, my instincts tell me, just as important to Zoueva as consistency in quality of skating skills. She seems to expect seamless performances that live up to the choreography without interruption. Will they come up with a solution to put in place resources to address technical inconsistencies?

2. Thinking about some of the comments/rumours about artistic control over music and choreography we've heard in the past from Zoueva's skaters on one side and Patrick's desire for independence and respect for his own artistic contribution on the other, will there be able to be a meeting of minds on artistic vision?

But they've had a few months to try this out, so I hope these are already resolved.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My sense is that Marina Zoueva has a broader history coaching singles skaters than many recognize. I recall she coached singles skaters as well as dance in Canada before moving to Detroit. Patrick may however be the skater that puts the international spotlight on her expertise in this discipline.

It sounds like a sincerely viable solution for Patrick. I really hope this works!:coffee:

But I have a couple of questions in mind:

1. How will it work when consistency issues come up? Consistency and quality in jumps will be, my instincts tell me, just as important to Zoueva as consistency in quality of skating skills. She seems to expect seamless performances that live up to the choreography without interruption. Will they come up with a solution to put in place resources to address technical inconsistencies?

2. Thinking about some of the comments/rumours about artistic control over music and choreography we've heard in the past from Zoueva's skaters on one side and Patrick's desire for independence and respect for his own artistic contribution on the other, will there be able to be a meeting of minds on artistic vision?

But they've had a few months to try this out, so I hope these are already resolved.

that's for me the positive thing in the choice of a coaching team : patrick is not going into a new environment blindly... they've tried this out over the off-season.

I think Marina is smart enough to know what her role is. I'm sure they've discussed things through. If it doesn't work it's not a marriage:) they can always walk away :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
no offense but yeah... saw Detroit 3-4 times....
(for business)

never want to go back :) (only reason i'd go back :if Patrick asked me personally to visit him LOL)

Once they see the D (Detroit) they're hooked for life. :)

OT: Who is the skater in your avatar?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh Great!!:mad: You know what this means don't you? I will have to explain Patrick's Brilliance for another year. This is the smartest move he could have made. Marina is a brilliant choreographer. She also has a reputation for presenting strengths and hiding weaknesses due the patterns she develops for her skaters. To me, it doesn't matter how full her schedule may be. Patrick has been at this for so long that all he needs is a secondary coach to deal with logistical issue's. Hotels, Travel, Costumes and things like that. At his age and with his vast experience, I imagine Patrick could probably run the show on his own. That's why I think he'll become one of the best coaches in the world when he finally retires.

Smart Move Patrick......:agree:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh Great!!:mad: You know what this means don't you? I will have to explain Patrick's Brilliance for another year. This is smartest move he could have made. Marina is a brilliant choreographer. She also has reputation for presenting strengths and hiding weaknesses due the patterns she develops for her skaters. To me. it doesn't how full her schedule may be because Patrick has been at this for so long that all he needs is a secondary coach to deal with logistical issue's. Hotels, Travel, Costumes and things like that. At his age and with his vast experience, I imagine Patrick could probably run the show on his own. That's why I think he'll become one of the best coaches in the world when he finally retires.

Smart Move Patrick......:agree:

i will 4ever ;)