Patrick Chan announces new coaching team | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan announces new coaching team

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is a team that will support Patrick's aspirations and his chosen direction for his skating. All angles covered - technical, artistic, choreography and program presentation. Quite holistic.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
This is all well, but does he want to actually vie for titles (as in, not wait for others to make mistakes)? More artistic range (or whatever) isn't going to increase the technical score, which is where he's almost detrimentally falling behind...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marina is a brilliant choreographer. She also has a reputation for presenting strengths and hiding weaknesses due the patterns she develops for her skaters. To me, it doesn't matter how full her schedule may be. Patrick has been at this for so long that all he needs is a secondary coach to deal with logistical issue's. Hotels, Travel, Costumes and things like that.

I highly doubt that Marina will see this as her role. I listened to a long interview with her when a former student (male singles skater, if I remember correctly) discussed how she coaches, and being an admin asistant is not it.

If I were Johnny Johns or Epstein, I wouldn't be thrilled about that prospect either. But what do I know. I like what a poster above said about Marina and her insistence on good elements in order to get the right effect in the choreography. That rings true.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I highly doubt that Marina will see this as her role. I listened to a long interview with her when a former student (male singles skater, if I remember correctly) discussed how she coaches, and being an admin asistant is not it.

If I were Johnny Johns or Epstein, I wouldn't be thrilled about that prospect either. But what do I know. I like what a poster above said about Marina and her insistence on good elements in order to get the right effect in the choreography. That rings true.

This is a good point. Patrick may have to hire an assistant. When I was auditioning for professional jobs I drove myself to the venue, booked my own hotels, packed my outfits, pictures, and resume's without any help at all. At this point, Patrick could have a friend help him with these things. He's in such good shape, and he's smart as they come. He'll be fine.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is all well, but does he want to actually vie for titles (as in, not wait for others to make mistakes)? More artistic range (or whatever) isn't going to increase the technical score, which is where he's almost detrimentally falling behind...

He won Four Continents last year with Jin producing 6 quads and going clean (also beat out Uno too; looking at the points, even if Uno had gone clean he most likely wouldn't have won) -- and that was in a comeback season, at that.

It's not all about the titles. After all, he already has won every title there is to possibly win in the 2016-2017 season. He's also said he's trying to incorporate the 4S in this season, too, and obviously knows he needs to step up his technical game too, but he's about improving at the pace he's comfortable at.

While he doesn't do the multiple quads yet, his top technical score in a FS is 107 points - and he scored it just this year, so that not exactly detrimentally falling behind when you post your best technical score ever in a comeback year, a score which is greater than most of the guys in the field have ever achieved (and more than even the top guys achieve on an average basis). Sure, you could argue that he needs it to beat Hanyu/Fernandez, but maybe that's not his number one priority. Patrick's success has always been attributed to executing what he does exceedingly well. Learning a 4Z isn't going to help Patrick if the rest of his program falls apart, and his main commitment is to delivering a strong program (not just strong elements), and learning big tricks just to keep up with others isn't what he's about. Kwan in the twilight of her career didn't all of a sudden start attempting crazy 3-3's to keep up with the other ladies when the technical game had changed - she still competed to deliver good performances first and foremost, and wasn't going to compromise her commitment to artistry for the sake of points even if was detrimental to her results.

Until the other guys start delivering multi-quad skates consistently, Patrick will always have a shot at the podium or even winning (and by winning I mean winning AGAIN any of the titles up for grabs this season which he's already won).

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
:agree: with CSG.

I think this is a great move for Patrick and I look forward to the season to see how it manifests.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
no offense but yeah... saw Detroit 3-4 times....
(for business)

never want to go back :) (only reason i'd go back :if Patrick asked me personally to visit him LOL)

I lived in Detroit (midtown) for three years in grad school and it is actually a really cool place! There are areas I wouldn't go to but some really neat stuff too (and I never had a problem living there). But Canton is not Detroit, it's a wealthy suburb.

But yeah, interesting but not unsurprising choice for Chan. I'll reserve judgment until I see him compete.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
I think this is a good move. Large training centre, and a variety of coaches to address every aspect of his skating.

Re: Patrick needing a personal assistant, I think that a program as large as Canton likely has an administrative person who takes care of scheduling hotels, travel, paperwork and what not. Those things aren't the coach's responsibility at all anyways.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Once they see the D (Detroit) they're hooked for life. :)

OT: Who is the skater in your avatar?

I've wondered that too although I assume she may be Julia L.

I thought it looked like Maia, but I could be wrong :scratch2:

Pamigena is correct. It's Maia Shibutani, Patrick Chan's new rink mate (so it's related to this thread, ;)). The picture comes from a photoshoot she did for The One X The Wonder over the summer. The photo came from the link Pamigena posted, but it's not on her page. Rather, if you click on "athletes" on Pamigena's link, you'll see the photo I am using for my avatar under her name among all the other athlete-subjects. Her and Alex have grown up from being adorable kids to be quite beautiful. :D

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
He won Four Continents last year with Jin producing 6 quads and going clean (also beat out Uno too; looking at the points, even if Uno had gone clean he most likely wouldn't have won) -- and that was in a comeback season, at that.

It's not all about the titles. After all, he already has won every title there is to possibly win in the 2016-2017 season. He's also said he's trying to incorporate the 4S in this season, too, and obviously knows he needs to step up his technical game too, but he's about improving at the pace he's comfortable at.

While he doesn't do the multiple quads yet, his top technical score in a FS is 107 points - and he scored it just this year, so that not exactly detrimentally falling behind when you post your best technical score ever in a comeback year, a score which is greater than most of the guys in the field have ever achieved (and more than even the top guys achieve on an average basis). Sure, you could argue that he needs it to beat Hanyu/Fernandez, but maybe that's not his number one priority. Patrick's success has always been attributed to executing what he does exceedingly well. Learning a 4Z isn't going to help Patrick if the rest of his program falls apart, and his main commitment is to delivering a strong program (not just strong elements), and learning big tricks just to keep up with others isn't what he's about. Kwan in the twilight of her career didn't all of a sudden start attempting crazy 3-3's to keep up with the other ladies when the technical game had changed - she still competed to deliver good performances first and foremost, and wasn't going to compromise her commitment to artistry for the sake of points even if was detrimental to her results.

Until the other guys start delivering multi-quad skates consistently, Patrick will always have a shot at the podium or even winning (and by winning I mean winning AGAIN any of the titles up for grabs this season which he's already won).

So we agree that he's not concerning himself with winning...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And I guess the Shibutanis will learn how to do triple Axels by season's end? Sorry couldn't resist.

Also he's going back to Detroit? After all the work to move AWAY from Detroit? Is the school in Vancouver not happening anymore?

Why so negative? I think this is a fabulous change for Patrick.:scratch2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why so negative? I think this is a fabulous change for Patrick.:scratch2:

I should have put a laughing emoticon. I was just a bit surprised, but I don't feel strongly against it or anything.

As for the other point --- he did make a big deal about going back to Vancouver and starting that school, so I sincerely want to know what's to become of that.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I should have put a laughing emoticon. I was just a bit surprised, but I don't feel strongly against it or anything.

As for the other point --- he did make a big deal about going back to Vancouver and starting that school, so I sincerely want to know what's to become of that.

he said at the HPC : right now, I need to focus on getting a new coach. Vancouver will have to wait.

To me this means the plan was for Kathy to move to Vancouver and coach him there... but as that fell through, he didn't really have the option of having a coach relocating with him....

The Vancouver school project is for after his career in any case (that was always the case). He was going there simply to live and train, and of course, he would have been closer for anything that requires him to be there while the project is developing.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

The school is planned for 2018 when Patrick is expected to retire. It's part of a up scale sport complex by developers who are supporters of Patrick and the community of Richmond. Joanne Mcleod is supposed to be a main coach as well. Patrick talked about bringing Johnson along and they would expound on the body movements principles that she is an expert in. I suspect Johnson's resignation had something to do with the complex developers and whatever politics involved.

mrrice

Record Breaker
To be clear: An incident that has absolutely nothing to do with Patrick, correct?

If so, my two cents: I know that Stromboulopoulos is a major name in Canada, but seems weird to bring up the topic in this thread devoted to Patrick and his coaching news.

But I defer to the mods.

I agree, I'm going to go ahead and delete it. I'm sure it will be on the news in Canada by now. Thanks

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The school is planned for 2018 when Patrick is expected to retire. It's part of a up scale sport complex by developers who are supporters of Patrick and the community of Richmond. Joanne Mcleod is supposed to be a main coach as well. Patrick talked about bringing Johnson along and they would expound on the body movements principles that she is an expert in. I suspect Johnson's resignation had something to do with the complex developers and whatever politics involved.

he said at the HPC : right now, I need to focus on getting a new coach. Vancouver will have to wait.

To me this means the plan was for Kathy to move to Vancouver and coach him there... but as that fell through, he didn't really have the option of having a coach relocating with him....

The Vancouver school project is for after his career in any case (that was always the case). He was going there simply to live and train, and of course, he would have been closer for anything that requires him to be there while the project is developing.

Good to know. Thanks for answering my question. Anyway, I'm willing to see this play out.

lyndichee

Medalist
A lot of members have always said they loved Gracie's Three Preludes SP from Marina Zueva and I have always wondered what it would be like if Gracie went back to Zueva or got another program from her. I really don't know how this partnership will work but I really hope Patrick will be able to deliver the some really great performances. Aside from the debate of whether he can win or not on his lack of quads, I really hope that the next 2 seasons will deliver memorable performances (in a positive way).