Patrick Chan has a new quad, ready to defend title | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan has a new quad, ready to defend title

I also loved Sandra Bezic's choreography. Stars on Ice was lucky to have her. To this day, that duet she designed for Gordeyeva and Kulik is near the top of my Forever list. And I'm so glad to see a Chen Lu fan stand up and cheer for her. She's one of the greats of our time. Lucky you, to have seen her live!

Well, China's a big, geographically and culturally diverse country. There are a lot of areas in China where skating isn't yet relevant to people, partly (this is just a guess) because it's so alien to their climate--like looking for ice hockey fanatics in Arizona. It'll take time. But skating is taking hold in East Asia, especially in Japan and Korea. I think that's a big plus for the future of skating worldwide. Thank goodness, because it's sure not making much of a splash in the U.S.

I also suspect that Russia is going to become more skating-mad again as Sochi approaches. So even with Cinquanta, we may make some progress in the near future.

As for gelato...not so easy to find details on a fast google, but it's supposedly lower in calories than ice cream, which may mean it has less cream and more milk. It is a milk-based concoction, though, unlike sorbet, which is just fruit (or whatever) and sweetener such as sugar.

prettykeys

Medalist
Huge fan of ice cream / gelato and sorbets/sherbets here... I know that gelato typically has more egg yolks and less air than traditional premium ice cream. :)

Also, my personal favourite flavour of ice cream is a high-quality, potent vanilla that uses real vanilla bean pods. Hopefully using honey instead of sugar. ;) Favourite gelato is the pistachio. ;) Sorry for the non-related post!

Edited to add a more detailed link: http://www.worldoficecream.com/icecream_vs_gelato.htm

So it looks like Olympia was partly right, too: gelatos have more milk than ice creams. I prefer gelato to ice cream, in general, because the flavours seem to be stronger. Sherbets are like sorbets except that they contain some milk. I prefer sherbets over sorbets. :biggrin: Orange sherbet, yum!

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Huge fan of ice cream / gelato and sorbets/sherbets here... I know that gelato typically has more egg yolks and less air than traditional premium ice cream. :)

Also, my personal favourite flavour of ice cream is a high-quality, potent vanilla that uses real vanilla bean pods. Hopefully using honey instead of sugar. ;) Favourite gelato is the pistachio. ;) Sorry for the non-related post!

Edited to add a more detailed link: http://www.worldoficecream.com/icecream_vs_gelato.htm

Thankyou for the best and most informative post of the day :yes:

backhand45

Rinkside
Hello Everyone,

I am still new to this forum and I'm not a high lever skater. I am however, a former pro dancer, choreographer and now judge at major competitions. I don't know how much involvement Lori has with the judging community but, if she's anything more than casual friends with any judge on any panel, she would be ineligible to coach for an active group on our Circuit. For those who know, I have another skating question.

Is there a Rules and Ethics Manual for Figure Skating Judges ? In my Association, we are given a Rules and Ethics Manual to read and then sign forms which state. Any violation of these terms is cause for immediate dismissal. Judges may not begin the " Recertification " process for 2 years from the date of the infraction

I may be reading too much into this but, it sounds like Lori is in violation of what we call an

" Affiliation Violation. "

This rule basically states : If a judge a has choreographed, consulted, raised funds, or is related to anyone involved with a group, they are " Affiliated " and may NOT continue to attend any non-public judging activities and are barred from the association for 2 years.

It also mentions that in order to begin Training to become a judge. All applicants must be without an affiliation beyond that of a consultant ( Less than 3 visits to any program ) for 2 years.

Hernando wrote:

" Baseless accusations ? " " Is it baseless to know that Lori runs seminars for ISU judges, and is very influential. "

" It doesn't mean Lori is a cheat but it does mean ISU is still a very tacky organization that puts up with conflict of interests in ways other sports would never dream of. "

I hope there's more detail about these " Seminars " because if these statements are true, Lori is a "cheat" and something should said. Of course, if there's no rule, than nevermind. ;)

If someone with real knowledge about the rules, can expand a bit about what Hernando has said I would really appreciate it.

Backhand

Last edited:
I may be reading too much into this but, it sounds like Lori is in violation of what we call an

" Affiliation Violation. "

This rule basically states : If a judge a has choreographed, consulted, raised funds, or is related to anyone involved with a group, they are " Affiliated " and may NOT continue to attend any non-public judging activities and are barred from the association for 2 years.

It also mentions that in order to begin Training to become a judge. All applicants must be without an affiliation beyond that of a consultant ( Less than 3 visits to any program ) for 2 years.

These rules seem to apply to judges. Lori Nichol is not a judge.

Possibly the judges who attend the ISU seminars in which coaches and choreographers give presentations are in violation of these rules?

Last edited:
As I recall the early days of the CoP, I read that Buttle routines were used by Dore to explain the way the PC scores should be judged. There were always high scores for Buttle from then on.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Really, no experts in any areas of skating should be consulted and associated with ISU in any way. No actual skating of actual skaters should be used as illustrations. They should only lurk on forums to educate themselves about all aspects of skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Hernando for being the first one to come up with the hook to strip Patrick Chan of his WC title. I knew sooner or later, such repeal will be proposed so Hernando gets the prize of being the first. Should there be a thread to collect proposals of various ways to accomplish this? There may be other even more innovative or expedient ideas.

If nothing else, Chan's title should be and will be cheapened. Yey.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Just want to be informed, when did this "infamous" Lori's seminar take place? Was that after she was pointed temporarily to be Patrick's coach or before?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just want to be informed, when did this "infamous" Lori's seminar take place? Was that after she was pointed temporarily to be Patrick's coach or before?

Since when is Lori Patrick's "temporary coach"?

Has their situation changed or are you just making things up again? :sheesh: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I thought Lori was a transitional coach until Patrick finds a new coach, and his coach now is Krall.:p Sorry, I was sleeping when that happened.:biggrin:

So Hernando, please tell me, when was the last time that Lori seminared the judges?

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ That was the only one I could find, too. A seminar sponsored by Skate Ontario for judging aspirants coming up through the ranks in eastern Canada.

I wish someone would post some actual facts to this thread.

I searched for ISU judges' seminars, but did not find anything useful. Has Nichol, since becoming Chan's coach, led any seminars for active ISU international judges? Or is this all just Internet chatter?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I wish someone would post some actual facts to this thread.

I searched for ISU judges' seminars, but did not find anything useful. Has Nichol, since becoming Chan's coach, led any seminars for active ISU international judges? Or is this all just Internet chatter?

That's what I want to know too.

The one seminar posted by Hernando was just a regular training for the lower level coaches and judges within Canada. I'm not sure whether or not it's relavent to Hernando's big claim. Has Nichol trained international judges who are or will be judging her student since she becomes Patrick's coach? No one has cleared this up yet.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would find this kind of faults on Lori Nichol or ISU. Otherwise, why didn't Frank Carroll, or Mishin, or TAT, or Orser, or anyone say anything about it?!:confused::sheesh:

Last edited:

backhand45

Rinkside
Hello Again from Backhand,

Yikes !!!!!! This may be the most Inane statement I've read since I joined this forum. SkateFiguring, I don't know anything about you but, I sure hope you're young.

SkateFiguring " Really, no experts in any areas of skating should be consulted and associated with ISU in any way. No actual skating of actual skaters should be used as illustrations. They should only lurk on forums to educate themselves about all aspects of skating. "

I hope you're just upset because you love Patrick. If not, I would love to have you sit next to me when a coach from the

" Group that got the Silver, or better yet, the group who finished 4th " finds out a judge was in violation of the Affiliation Rule. Having been Lead Judge of a panel, I am the person they come to if they have a problem with any judge. It's something I hope you never experience.

With the huge amount of money it takes just to get to worlds : Coaching fees, Flights, Hotels, and Ground Transportation. Not to mention the time it takes to book all these things ahead of time. I don't want anyone with even a Hint of an affiliation to be on that panel.

There are plenty of Retired Choreographers out there who would be more than happy to come to an ISU Seminar. Believe me, they'd love to assist judges with the new rules and how they vary from the old system.

Though, any judge in need of such assistance should not be part of a World Championship Panel........:mad:

Maybe I should put this in a new thread as it has nothing to do with Patrick ( I love him ) Chan.

Backhand

Last edited: