Patrick Chan News | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan News

jennylovskt

Medalist
show Plushy & Joubert you can do a quad AND transitions. And then we're talking.

He can't. He can only do a few quads in practice without connections with other elements and without competition pressure. And I am sure he is not going to put any quad in his program in any of his competition this season. Trust me. That's why he talked so much to try to belittle the quad giants.:eek:hwell:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I believe Orser did give an answer he would like to have back during an interview at SA.

Yeah and yuna probably wants that freeskate back as well. All in all a pretty rough event for Team Kim. As for the quote, it is one thing for yuna to say something which comes across as arroggant, but more excusable considering her poor English and obvious discomfort with the whole situation. But for her coach who knows English perfectly and is supposed to be subjective..
If yuna has gotten arrogant I think we all know who to blame. When your own coach who knows all your weaknesses somtes comes across as a gushing fan why are we even surprised?

Rinkside
As for the quote, it is one thing for yuna to say something which comes across as arroggant, but more excusable considering her poor English and obvious discomfort with the whole situation. But for her coach who knows English perfectly and is supposed to be subjective..
If yuna has gotten arrogant I think we all know who to blame. When your own coach who knows all your weaknesses somtes comes across as a gushing fan why are we even surprised?

How is Yuna arrogant? Which part of her answer do you consider arrogant?

I don't know. I don't know. So far my conditioning is very great. I don't know about the other skaters. I don't think the other skaters are not ready for the season. I think they feel a lot of pressure because it's early in the season.

schiele

Final Flight
He can't. He can only do a few quads in practice without connections with other elements and without competition pressure. And I am sure he is not going to put any quad in his program in any of his competition this season. Trust me. That's why he talked so much to try to belittle the quad giants.:eek:hwell:

I'm almost certain he won't put it in either. Its a whole different ball game.. Besides if he can skate totally clean, he won't need it at all. The only point I see in putting in the quad in a programme is if the skater would try a quad and 2 triple axels, otherwise 1 quad and 1 axel is not much different than 2 triple axels (what Joubert ends up doing lately). So if anyone skates like Oda did in TEB, then it should be good enough, unless Plushenko comes with 2 quads and 2 triple axels or Joubert actually lands 3 quads and a triple axel.. Then, I guess that'll be it for the others.

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Yeah and yuna probably wants that freeskate back as well. All in all a pretty rough event for Team Kim. As for the quote, it is one thing for yuna to say something which comes across as arroggant, but more excusable considering her poor English and obvious discomfort with the whole situation. But for her coach who knows English perfectly and is supposed to be subjective..

To be honest, I was a little taken back when I heard that Orser said that. Not a smart move on his part. How about a bit of humility? I remember him saying that Yuna's bad outing was good for her... maybe it's good for him, too. I still don't believe that Yuna is arrogant, however... she's pretty stiff when she's speaking English and stumble around a lot when she strays beyond some prepared remarks.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
I love Patricks skating, but I think he sounds like such a GIRL when he comments on Pleschenko(sp) I always loved what Johnny said about Evan. He said if they both skated their best, he thought he would win. Maybe Patrick should try that route to show everyone how confident he is.

jaws12345

Match Penalty
I don't see this as a big deal. Holding Orser up to be "perfect" in every interview feels as silly as expecting Yuna to be perfect everytime she competes.

There is also the tone of the comments to consider. I may be wrong, but seem to think Orser smiled , looked a little flushed and instead of giving a more pc type of answer just agreed with the question in a somewhat half-hearted manner.

But since it is an Olympic year everything tends to get magnified and even blown out of proportion.

I don't see that as big deal either; he might have wanted to say that or not, who knows? But logically, what would he be leaning to? Blow up the hype and pressure on Kim by saying she can't be beaten and increase the possibility of going through the same bitter experience for the third time at the Olympics, or try to ignore or denounce such remarks?

And he is her coach, and a coach is expected to feel proud when his pupil receives a compliment. Now he blushed after hearing one, and you call him arrogant. :disapp:

But see where the discussion is heading to now in this CHAN thread. The same 'ol bashing fest. Pathetic.

Last edited:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
:rolleye: It's like watching a four year old having a hissy fit or a temper tantrum.

Jaws, it's real, it happened. Right before her LP, when asked if Yu-Na is unbeatable, Orser said after a long pause, "At this moment, no." Go back to your Korean forums and ask, and they'll also tell you it's true.

Was it arrogant for him to say it? Or was he merely stating the truth? Was Orser nervous about his answer and purposely careful to add, "at this moment" to really mean right now, at this second? Was it just a coach being confident about his student? Hasn't Orser always been cautious and complimentary of other female skaters in all his interviews before and after Skate America? And didn't he explicitly say after SA that neither he or Yu-Na take anything for granted? As in, they know competition is fierce and any lady could deliver at any time, meaning Yu-Na is not and will never be forever unbeatable?

All these questioned can be pondered at another thread, but as you keep mentioning, this is a Patrick Chan thread.

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
Excuse me if I am bad-mannered :frown2:, but if you want to talk about if Yu Na is arrogant or not ect... Why you do not open a thread about this? ;)
The fact is that this thread is about the last interviews of Chan and I have opened 4 times this thread in last 2 hours and do not read anything on the original topic. :frown: And sincerely I am not interested in Yu-na...:cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Excuse me if I am bad-mannered :frown2:, but if you want to talk about if Yu Na is arrogant or not ect... Why you do not open a thread about this? ;)
The fact is that this thread is about the last interviews of Chan and I have opened 4 times this thread in last 2 hours and do not read anything on the original topic. :frown: And sincerely I am not interested in Yu-na...:cool:

Fair enough points calica.

I think Patrick is a great young skater and I can't wait to see him perform at SC this weekend.

I hope he is recovered from his injury and skates two strong programs.
Maybe he will even watch what he says when he gets interviewed :yes:

i love to skate

Medalist
I hope he is recovered from his injury and skates two strong programs.
Maybe he will even watch what he says when he gets interviewed :yes:

I hope this as well! I wouldn't count on him watching what he says in interviews though. He seems to be one of those people who tells it like it is and speaks his mind. I personally don't want a bunch of robots who only say what they are told to say. Besides, his interviews give us lots to talk and debate about :laugh:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I came on this thread thinking there was current news on Chan. Surprise! It's about Yu Na Kim & Brian Orser!

Milas

Rinkside
This is interesting and highly amusing. Chan - The Little Engine That Could, who was heard puffing "I think I can, I think I can" while working his way up to the Quad Mountain, but then slipped down the slides in a huffing, "I thought I could, I thought I could", but it's more likely to be something in the lines of Weir: "Never said I would, never said I would". This "will he, won't he" do the quad is becoming tiresome and according to Chan the motormouth, he doesn't even need one to beat the rest. OK, the game is on...

Milas

Rinkside
I hope this as well! I wouldn't count on him watching what he says in interviews though. He seems to be one of those people who tells it like it is and speaks his mind. I personally don't want a bunch of robots who only say what they are told to say. Besides, his interviews give us lots to talk and debate about :laugh:

What bothers me, is that he's showing his disrespect so bluntly -- pointing finger and laughing, not very classy -- but hopefully it will come back to bite the a**, so to speak.

Last edited:

i love to skate

Medalist
What bothers me, is that he's showing his disrespect so bluntly -- pointing finger and laughing, not very classy -- and things like that usually comes back to bite the a**, so to speak.

Well Plushenko did some finger pointing of his own ;) Personally, I don't think Plushenko's behaviour was very classy.There have also been footage of skaters celebrating other skaters falls and things of that nature.

Milas

Rinkside
Well Plushenko did some finger pointing of his own ;) Personally, I don't think Plushenko's behaviour was very classy.There have also been footage of skaters celebrating other skaters falls and things of that nature.

Actually, Plushenko was asked about the finger pointing at the press conference and said that it was a personal victory to him that he had made it back and he was happy and it wasn't meant to be disrespectful to anyone else. But of course, there will always be someone celebrating anothers fall, not just the skaters, just look at the fans too. :)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Originally written about Muhammad Ali - it feels like this catch phrase could also be used to describe Patrick :yes:

I wonder how good Patrick's left jab is? ;)

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I take it you are not a fan :)
Not a fan of his attitude. I do like parts of his skating. I don't think he's quite the great, young prodigy that many believe he is, but I think it would be a shame if he retires after this season, as he thinks he might do.