Patrick Chan | Page 264 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

calica

Final Flight
I hope that anybody share video, even home video ...
I want to see the exhibition of "Mack the Knife" .

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Me too, Calica. I hope to see some videos on YouTube soon.

Patrick made it on to Radiolab's list of "skating routines we can't stop watching":

http://www.radiolab.org/story/here-are-skating-routines-we-cant-stop-watching/

They said this:

Patrick Chan’s 2015 performance at Skate Canada is just kind of perfect. The perfect balance of athleticism and artistry.

I want to see him keep that balance, especially as he adds more quads. His SC 2015 FS jumps were still the prettiest, IMHO.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah i think so too... but SC was special emotionally :) as his comeback and also as everyone said he had no chance against yuzu and well, he proved the doubters wrong
By virtue of more responsibility and pressure, I prefer 4CC LP. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
patrick is so small on this that my hand could be the rink and he could skate on it ....

vivley i saw 3lz, not big enough for him to land it....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
1) Canadian men are in good shape, or were until injuries.. Reynolds was the quad master a couple seasons ago ;) Nadeau is promising. Hoping for Nam to recover. Elladj lands a quad too... messing as well...(i think) and of course Patrick... we are in good shape.... (USA struggles more with quads as a nation I'd think)

2)Juding/ GOE at TCC... wel it's a bit over the top ;) so let's not worry too much

3) I am not an expert :) just a crazy fan :)

I think you have a point that rotating a quad is worth more than an okay landed triple... yup... that's for sure... but tha'ts not Patrick's plan.... he doesn't plan for falls.. he wishes for perfect flawless skates... I hope he sticks to his plan as I enjoyed it this year.... his LP at 4cc is what he is aiming for... perhaps with one more 4S in it in future years

but if he were to add a couple more tricks and start falling or worse, popping them, it wouldn't be Patrick... I believe Patrick reaches the audience best when he is flawless... of course makes sense for all skaters, but I would say even more so for Patrick because of the quality of his choreography and other elements....

A perfect Patrick will always be in the mix IMHO at least until everyone has 4-5 quads per LP.... do not forget that when Patrick lands his jumps well, he has a gorgeous flow and air position.... he gets very high GOEs.... some skaters land quads without any flow or with weird air position.... so we will see ;)

one thing is sure : Patrick got carried on this year with quad galore... and improved way above my personal expectations on his comeback year..... WOW!!! I am still elated from what he has achieved... probably THE BEST LP in the last ten years (4CC) if not longer.... So I hope this inspires him even further.!!!

Gotta go :) more later !!!

1) Ah Kevin. The glorious quad days of Kevin may yet return. He did give that 4-3-3 that we thought we wouldn't see again a shot, so I have some hope. As for the other men - only Nadeau if he gets more quads and doesn't under rotate them might make top ten at Worlds. Messing and Balde don't do well internationally due to mistakes in simpler jumps. Watching Balde's grand prix season was painful. Messing's quad at Nationals was great but still didn't get him on the National team. Nam just showed us disastrous skates this season. I am not sure how much a coaching change will help. Maybe it'll work wonders for him. Do we have a thread for Canadian men/skaters in general to discuss everyone in?

If the US struggles with quads, we are struggling with limited quads. Show me the Canadian quad Salchows and loops and flips and lutzes. I've only seen a few attempts from guys like Kevin and a beauty from a kid who was ten and won't be senior eligible until 2020. No bueno. All video links to successful quads beyond quad toe by currently active Canadian skaters welcome. ;)

2) I'll give you that. They even got Meagan and Eric's score wrong initially. Though some scores I'd say are deserved (like Evgenia, or Gabby in the SP).

3) :laugh: You're honest, I like that.

A flawless Patrick is best, but how heartbroken would we be if he were flawless and still lost due to low TES? PCS has that limit, TES can reach much higher as we know. It's like the American fans who were getting upset about Adam Rippon being sixth. If a flawless Patrick were off the podium that would hurt.

Honestly, I think this was the season that men could try putting in multiple repetitions of two different quads to get used to that. Next season, it will be about three different quads. And frankly, I hate to say this, but Patrick should have started putting in quad Salchows as far back as 2012. Four years later, they've become a staple. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Oh and thank you everyone for sharing photos and videos of Patrick. Merci beacoup! :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
roman does the 4 sal...of course i could have named others like liam who is working on his quad too...

we will see what happens next ;) i think that patrick surprised us this year.... and will surprise us again next year ;)

1) Ah Kevin. The glorious quad days of Kevin may yet return. He did give that 4-3-3 that we thought we wouldn't see again a shot, so I have some hope. As for the other men - only Nadeau if he gets more quads and doesn't under rotate them might make top ten at Worlds. Messing and Balde don't do well internationally due to mistakes in simpler jumps. Watching Balde's grand prix season was painful. Messing's quad at Nationals was great but still didn't get him on the National team. Nam just showed us disastrous skates this season. I am not sure how much a coaching change will help. Maybe it'll work wonders for him. Do we have a thread for Canadian men/skaters in general to discuss everyone in?

If the US struggles with quads, we are struggling with limited quads. Show me the Canadian quad Salchows and loops and flips and lutzes. I've only seen a few attempts from guys like Kevin and a beauty from a kid who was ten and won't be senior eligible until 2020. No bueno. All video links to successful quads beyond quad toe by currently active Canadian skaters welcome. ;)

2) I'll give you that. They even got Meagan and Eric's score wrong initially. Though some scores I'd say are deserved (like Evgenia, or Gabby in the SP).

3) :laugh: You're honest, I like that.

A flawless Patrick is best, but how heartbroken would we be if he were flawless and still lost due to low TES? PCS has that limit, TES can reach much higher as we know. It's like the American fans who were getting upset about Adam Rippon being sixth. If a flawless Patrick were off the podium that would hurt.

Honestly, I think this was the season that men could try putting in multiple repetitions of two different quads to get used to that. Next season, it will be about three different quads. And frankly, I hate to say this, but Patrick should have started putting in quad Salchows as far back as 2012. Four years later, they've become a staple. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess.

Oh and thank you everyone for sharing photos and videos of Patrick. Merci beacoup! :)

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Dang, everybody watch Patrick and the gang dance hiphop!

https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/720812338413219840

Haha, great timing, because with the way the FS sport is going for the men, I thought it might be appropriate for Patrick to skate to the song, "Stressed Out".

Wow, they are all pretty good out there (even if you consider that it's pretty short video)! I used to dance hip-hop in the past so you can trust me, huh. :) Does it mean that Weaver / Poje want to bring hip-hop into their SD next season? I think so.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mango, I don't believe it is in Patrick's best interest to chase the numbers mindlessly. It's not up to anybody else to set goals for Patrick and be heartbroken if he doesn't achieve them. Should he be herding cats with our urging and "help"?

Patrick has come a long way in maturity and mental clarity. He has already had great success, dominating Mens figure skating, pioneering great skating skill and transitions with multiple quads in the programs, winning titles galores in the process. He then decided to be a great artist on ice and he has done that magnificently. He realizes all these and is at peace to set his own agenda and objective. He is competitive of course, without which he wouldn't have won such unmatched number of titles of at least the last decade. Of course he knows as well as anybody that new skaters are coming on the scene with oodles of quads. But he is at a place of more relaxed and focused mind now, grounded and knowing what he needs to do and what he should not let distract his objective and actions. He knows his own body, how to train properly and the pace of progress that's right for him. (The young bucks may just be too reckless and short sighted.) He also knows better than most how circumstances and energy at each competition vary and results are not necessarily as logically and numerically anticipated. It's called slippery ice. One needs only to be aware of others and the environment but clear focused goals and dedicated actions will bring desired results more than stressing over all the factors one can't control.

Of course Patrick wants to win, but on his own terms. I think he has made that clear. I am proud of his success so far and will cheer him on more to come indubitably.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thank you VB :)

I was waiting for you to post that while i was addressing the pragmatic stuff :) Patrick has been clear : he wants to skate gorgeous, flawless programs. If i recall correctly, he said he was disappointed at WC not because of not winning a medal as he has tons of those, but because he didn't have a chance to skate beautifully.... At 4CC, he didn't even know he had won, but he was ecstatic with how he skated...

so like VB says, Patrick has reached the maturity of a performing artist: the focus in not on the results but on the process. Patrick will win other competitions.... we don't know which ones.... nobody knows... he will lose some as well.... but if he continues to refine and develop his skating, he will remain happy.

We are the real winners here. Patrick may think he is skating for himself with his new attitude, but in fact, he is skating for us, wholeheartedly.

I have always loved figure skating. It's a great sport... but this year, with Patrick's return and his Chopin program, I have found deeper appreciation for the sport.....I hope young skaters look at Patrick as a model. If this happens, Patrick will have shaped the sport more than anybody else, medals or not ...

I am already having Patrick withdrawals ;) and can only wish he will participate at the Skate Canada autumn challenge in Montreal so I can go watch him ;)

may you all have a nice day.... I have so many silly things to do today and this week that I will (try to) keep away from the forum a little while.... :)

Last edited: