Patrick Chan | Page 528 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ic3Rabbit - :console: It's entirely Bev Smith's fault. There was a simple solution to prevent the confusion. She could have still used the picture but chosen a different label for Jeff, like Canadian Champion, World Champion, Olympic Bronze Medalist, or good friend. It turns out Jeff was Patrick's choreographer for Elegie, just one program several seasons ago, so the label no longer applies for Patrick. Unless she meant it in the general sense that Jeff is a choreographer, but that makes even less sense. Oh well. Moving on.....

I drink tea every day of the year, while watching events unfold and truths revealed.

nowadays, sipping tea while watching events unfold and truths revealed isn't good enough... with bloggers, social media, fake news... one needs to be a bit more pro-active...

I agree with you skatingfan4ever... anyone reading this article could have been misled ... and that's what simply happened...

let's move on ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
4everchan meeting Chiddy

Chiddy: Hi! I hear you're my biggest...

4everchan: :dbana:

happylife

On the Ice
that's exactly how it would happen...

i wouldn't be able to speak...

patrick would say something

i'd die happy.... end of story...

:agree2:

Someday your dream to meet Patrick will come true :dance3: :rofl: :dance2:

Have faith and be prepare for that moment to come :pray: :love: ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Someday your dream to meet Patrick will come true :dance3: :rofl: :dance2:

Have faith and be prepare for that moment to come :pray: :love: ;)

LOL ;)

for Patrick I am just a fan... so I wouldn't expect a real meeting... which means... that I would say hi, thank you for all the emotions and happiness you have given me all these years...

patrick would say : you are welcome... and that would be it...

my fantasy is much better than reality ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
4everchan meeting Chiddy

Chiddy: Hi! I hear you're my biggest...

4everchan: :dbana:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Er.... 4everchan should start tweeting Patrick and letting him know beforehand, otherwise he would have to introduce himself as Patrick's biggest fan, lol.

------------------------------

Speaking of Pchiddy, I sent him this article this morning because I thought he could relate:

How to Survive Being Labeled a Star

It's written about corporate stars, but the research is still relevant. Some examples:

"...what we see is that what goes from having a talent and using it, really translates to people saying, you are talented. And it becomes a piece of my sense of self. And then it becomes an expectation that I need to live up to– wow, you know I’ve been put on this program, and suddenly I have to perform, I have to deliver."

"They have some kind of special gift. They can do things in a way other people can’t, and suddenly we’re asking them to behave in a very uniform way, behave all the same. So there’s a real discrepancy that people get caught in."

"So oftentimes when organizations say be authentic at work, they don’t really mean be authentic at work. What they mean is bring those authentic pieces of you that we like, that we value. So it’s like, I would like your creativity, but I really don’t want your angst. But if we think about what we know about talent, and about high achievers and successful people, those talents often stem from a darker place. What this does is reduces us to just those shiny pieces of ourselves.

"So it’s not just that you’re talented, it’s that you’re a talented Asian, and there aren’t many of those in the organization. And then it can double down on this feeling that I'm not only expected to perform because I’m labeled talented, but I’m also expected to perform because I’m the only– or one of the very few– Asian managers. And so if I don’t do well, I’m going to let my group down."

“Every opportunity becomes an obligation, and every challenge becomes a test.”

Okay, maybe it's blog essay time for me, lol... :drama: I'm glad Patrick has been working on his perspective and mental health for a while now. This time I expect him to do much better under pressure at the Olympics!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^

the way he speaks about dust in the wind is showing that he finally has the perspective needed.... either his work with a sports psychologist is starting to give results or he has read these pages LOL... as we have been writing since his comeback : who cares about medals... you have had them..... just skate because you love it... and do not worry about proving anything... focus on having fun and working hard... the outcome isn't something you can control..

I think they must have talked a lot about the fact that he goes in with a 2-3 quads deficit.... and that may have helped as well... because it really tells Patrick that he needs to focus on what he can do well... and not others... and definitely not the prize.... all he can control is his own skating... the rest, is out of his hands...

add judges to this equation and that makes it even harder ;)

I think that's why figure skating is so full of headcases ;) they are trying to control what they cannot control... and as soon as bang, a mistake happens, skaters lose their entire focus....

let's wish that Patrick keeps exploring the area of healthy competing. It is actually something that is entirely possible to achieve.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
^^

the way he speaks about dust in the wind is showing that he finally has the perspective needed.... either his work with a sports psychologist is starting to give results or he has read these pages LOL... as we have been writing since his comeback : who cares about medals... you have had them..... just skate because you love it... and do not worry about proving anything... focus on having fun and working hard... the outcome isn't something you can control..

let's wish that Patrick keeps exploring the area of healthy competing. It is actually something that is entirely possible to achieve.

:laugh: Of course he's been reading all the wisdom in these fan fest pages! We've agreed for months now that his focus needs to be on the process and not the results, but it's still a tremendous challenge when his competitors are "creeping away", as he once said in an interview.

This last GS interview was better in that he didn't mention any stress or anxiety over his jumps, so that's good. Now I am looking for signs that he is progressing towards joy... not skating out of obligation or because he has to pass the test. I truly believe that an inspired Patrick Chan will be a sight for the world to see. To healthy competing! :cheer: