Patrick Chan | Page 527 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Kuan

Final Flight

:console: @yyyskate. This makes me emotional as well. I can't wait to see the programs again!!
I am a mess right now. I have my final exams (most important and last of my life hopefully) on monday and tuesday and 10,5 hours shift at work on wednesday waiting for me befor I can see Patrick. Nebelhorn Trophy and Patrick are the the light at the end of my learning tunnel right now. If I am going to make it, I can finally hang around GS more often. :hap36:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:console: @yyyskate. This makes me emotional as well. I can't wait to see the programs again!!
I am a mess right now. I have my final exams (most important and last of my life hopefully) on monday and tuesday and 10,5 hours shift at work on wednesday waiting for me befor I can see Patrick. Nebelhorn Trophy and Patrick are the the light at the end of my learning tunnel right now. If I am going to make it, I can finally hang around GS more often. :hap36:

and we will be very happy to hear from you at nebelhorn :)

all the best with your finals !!! you can do it!!!!!

nimi

Medalist
That was an excellent interview. It sounds like he's in the right headspace heading into this season. :thumbsup:

Technique as a means to acquire artistry!!! :yes2: I’m learning, mostly by hanging out on GS, that contrary to popular belief, artistry and technical expertise are NOT mutually exclusive categories. Rather, good technique frees you up to be more artistically expressive. So, all artists have good technique as their foundation. Therefore, the “technical skater” vs “artistic skater” is a false dichotomy. Unfortunately, usually “technical” is used as shorthand for “good at executing quality jumps regularly, especially quads, 3As, and 3-3s.” In that narrow sense, the dichotomy does exist and there is a big divide between various skaters. So it can be hard for people, myself included, to realize how “technical” good-quality step sequences, good-quality spins, and good-quality transitions actually are. That’s why step sequences and spins are part of TES. Patrick once said something like, “Skating is what leads you to your jump.” Skating skills aren’t simply there as part of artistry; they’re there because they lead to everything worthwhile in the program. Patrick uses his solid technique on the ice to show us the musical nuances. His musical sensitivity, plus his technique on the ice, plus his maturity of expression gained through experience makes for a truly lovely combination!!! :biggrin: Okay, I’ll get off my soap box now. :laugh:
Yes! This is such a pet peeve of mine!

Not only that... Also, 'technical' is often used as a code for '"more masculine" and 'artistic' for "more feminine". So, a skater that moves with flow and grace and has both excellent skating skills AND excellent jump technique is often branded as more artistic and less 'technical' even though they've got excellent technique (because moving with grace is girly, y'all!) and correspondingly, a skater with sloppier SS and less optimal jump technique i.e. WORSE TECHNIQUE who still somehow manages to get the same jumps done gets called the "technical" skater (because using visible effort & brute force to make things happen is seen as manly)...

Doesn't really make any sense when you think about it... but these kind of fake dichotomies and lazy cultural stereotypes persists. :eek:hwell:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
in about one week from now... Patrick will skate at Nebelhorn!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait myself! Let's see.... what time in the morning do I need to be up to watch it live???

I'm sure vivley will do a transcript. It is a WONDERFUL interview and I hope you can experience it. :)

I'm working on it! Worked on it since yesterday, got up early this morning to finish it...... only to have my system crash! But I'll have it up today, I promise!

so as skatingfan4ever just mentioned :

Patrick said in the interview that David picked the music for both pieces... but then... does that mean David did choreo for the LP as well? Didn't we read something about Jeff doing the LP? Oh and... well... then... if indeed Jeff did do the choreo for Hallelujah, how often does that happen that a choreo picks music for a skater... who gets it choreographed by someone else?

A fan contacted me and said she asked Beverley Smith to confirm that David Wilson had in fact choreographed both programs. Bev did confirm it to her in the comments of her article:

https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/patrick-chan-dust-in-the-wind/

"David Wilson did both of Patrick’s programs this season. I just like the photo of Buttle and Chan laughing – sort of fit the theme – and I don’t have a huge access to photos yet."

Thanks Liz, for the tip!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^^

so where did we have that info that buttle did the LP?

this is so confusing...

Liz is a good fan... I wonder if she comes here LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well apparently, Liz asked Bev Smith on August 31st.... and got a reply the next day.... we have been in the dark for 3 weeks...

:drama:

yyyskate

Record Breaker

@Kuan, my old friend, wish you all the best!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

lol.. you better slink... i think you are the one who confirmed it was buttle... and well... we always trust you LOL :laugh2:

@ VB .. what i simply meant is that in some of our worlds, an information like this wouldn't go unnoticed for 3 weeks ;)

on top of that, I have once written to Bev Smith to correct her info... and I should be aware that reading the comments is important ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:noshake:
lol.. you better slink... i think you are the one who confirmed it was buttle... and well... we always trust you LOL :laugh2:

@ VB .. what i simply meant is that in some of our worlds, an information like this wouldn't go unnoticed for 3 weeks ;)

on top of that, I have once written to Bev Smith to correct her info... and I should be aware that reading the comments is important ;)

:rolleye: :noshake:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
it's okay everyone... i blame the journalist for talking about the Cohen and putting Jeff's picture right under...

Let's all join VB drinking a hot coffee/tea when it's like 30C here in Montreal...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ic3Rabbit - :console: It's entirely Bev Smith's fault. There was a simple solution to prevent the confusion. She could have still used the picture but chosen a different label for Jeff, like Canadian Champion, World Champion, Olympic Bronze Medalist, or good friend. It turns out Jeff was Patrick's choreographer for Elegie, just one program several seasons ago, so the label no longer applies for Patrick. Unless she meant it in the general sense that Jeff is a choreographer, but that makes even less sense. Oh well. Moving on.....

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
it's okay everyone... i blame the journalist for talking about the Cohen and putting Jeff's picture right under...

Let's all join VB drinking a hot coffee/tea when it's like 30C here in Montreal...

And will you be going to the World Championships in Montreal?

------------------------

Here's my blog post with the transcript of the GS interview, and a look at those nice 2018 Olympic medals!

Patrick Chan News Update, September 21, 2017

Cheers!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I drink tea every day of the year, while watching events unfold and truths revealed.