Pet Peeves, Part 3 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves, Part 3

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I understand, people have to take their infant along at times. What I did, unless it was a dire emergency, was work around my baby's schedule. Nap time is sacred with young kids. A child, who has missed a nap, is overstressed easily. When little ones get overwrought they don't have the ability to calm themselves down and ''suck it up.'' More often than not, you wind up with a child who is miserable for the rest of the day. Also, people shouldn't skip a kid's meal time, feed him junk, and yell at him when he is hyper.

I am seeing so many parents out who don't use any common sense and it's the kid who suffers most. A parent should adapt to the child's needs and not expect the kid to do the adapting. That is more than they can handle.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Okay, I don't have a screaming kid story.

My pet peeve is people (especially Realtors) who say "REA-LA-TOR" instead of "REAL-TOR". Drives me up a wall!
:eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
My pet peeve is people (especially Realtors) who say "REA-LA-TOR" instead of "REAL-TOR". Drives me up a wall!

Would that be the same people who are afraid of being blown up in a NUCULAR war?:D :D :D

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
It bugs the hell out of me when people don't mind their children at Mass. It also bothers me that people children and adults put their feet up on the kneelers. Do they know that some people don't want to leave with dirt on their pants?
Daniel and Little Lulu

guinevere

Final Flight
One of my bosses has a 2-1/2 y.o. son. He's generally a good kid. My boss takes care of the child during the mornings, while his wife works (she then takes the kid in the afternoons - Daddy is a theater technician and usually works afternoons/evenings/nights). On the occasions that there is an event during the day, the boy comes to work with Dad. As I mentioned, this is a pretty good kid, so it's no big deal. Plus, I get to bring my dog to work, and my boss was VERY lenient during those incredibly challenging months, so I am not anxious to peeve on my boss.

However! This week I've seen a lot of the 2 of them, and what I've noticed is that this kid already demands money for the candy machine (and gets it! He's been eating Skittles all week :eek: ) and I saw my boss giving his son sips from his COFFEE this morning! Did I mention this child is 2-1/2 years old? I should also mention that this child's teeth are already horrible and a few months ago had to have major surgery on his teeth and gums. I'm sure sugar and caffeine are really helping him! But the demanding $$ for the candy machine and getting it is really going to come back to bite these parents in the butt later in life. Today, it's a candy bar - in 10 years, it's be everything on the planet.

guinevere
(who feels really guilty now because her bosses are great)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I agree on the nuclear and realtor and also joolery instead of jewelry. How about missspellliinng. :laugh:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Actually, my biggest peeves would be using the name of the Lord in vain and profanity. Of course, those drivers that cut in or pull out in front of you when you're going 60. Also, people that have to blow their smoke everywhere. Especially in front of the doors.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
guinevere
I don't know what part of the country you live in but here in Southern California this is pretty typical. I know people who raised their children. I have one friend whose son doesn't have to go to school because he says his teachers don't like him. Personally, I don't like him either. So, he doesn't go to school.
Daniel and Little Lulu

guinevere

Final Flight
Grgranny said:
I agree on the nuclear and realtor and also joolery instead of jewelry. How about missspellliinng. :laugh:
I have a friend who says the word "grill" and it sounds like "girl", which drives me nutty. I am also an ardent member of the spelling police (although I am a terrible typist).

Several people in my dance company started using this weird syntax that involved eliminating the verb "to be": "My cigarette needs lit" was the common example (they were all smokers), but it could apply to anything. AWFUL!!

I have one friend whose son doesn't have to go to school because he says his teachers don't like him.

Now why didn't I try that one? (probably because I knew it wouldn't work :laugh: )

guinevere

JOHIO2

Medalist
OK, I've got another pet p. What about people who stand in the middle of an entrance or an exit (or the top/bottom of an escalator)?

I can understand when someone is hobbling along slowly. That isn't what gets me. It's those people who decide to have a "chat" or a smoke or wait for the bus, etc. Can't they understand that other people need to go into or exit a building while they self indulge? Makes me wanna scream sometimes. Can't they move aside? The worst offenders are the smokers at the hospital/medical center where I spend all too much time.

Or those people having the argument over what brand of peanut butter to buy and block the entire aisle for those of us who just wanted to grab a jar and get out of the store?

I'm with you, SusanBeth. I tried to schedule appointments and errands and such around nap time and lunch. Saved a few points on MY blood pressure, I can assure you! :laugh:

Since Rg brings mispronounced words up -- ever feel like telling people there are 2 r's in the word "library" or the month of "February?"

Personally, I cringe when I hear people going to the ba-doh. Are those few letters in the term, back door, so very difficult????

I have a friend who spent twenty years in Boston. While there she picked up that New England "r" thing. I like to tease her when she slips back into adding or dropping r's. She thought it was hilarious to hear that where I came from, some people thought the word "wash" contained an r. (gunna warsh my clothes) :rolleye:

So many p's, so little time!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The worst offenders are the smokers at the hospital/medical center where I spend all too much time.

Especially when there are huge signs that say NO SMOKING. And no matter how nice you try to be in asking them to not smoke in the no smoking area most smokers get really nasty. They think because there is an ashtray, meant for them to extinguish their cigarettes, that it is an invitation to light up.
:mad:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I had an English teacher in college who used to chain smoke during class right under the "No Smoking" sign above the chalkboard. The class was one and a half hours long and he used to give us a break every twenty minutes just to clear the smoke our of the classroom.............:( 42

Pookie

Final Flight
Piel said:
Would that be the same people who are afraid of being blown up in a NUCULAR war?:D :D :D

:laugh: My kids and I were talking about "nucular" and "nuclear" the other day. I made them listen to me to make sure I was saying it right. :p

Is any one here from Massatusetts? That one drives me crazy and I'm not even from Massachusetts.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Pronounciation pet peeves:

"Supposably" Huh? Supposedly, anyone?

"San Antone" Yeah, saying those extra two letters will kill so much time

I'll think of more...

Laura :)

Oh, my friend from Iran gets upset when people say "eye-ran". It's "ear-rahn"

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
RG Jr. has decided that she's too Californian to say the word "sneakers"--a word she's used her entire life. Someone at school must have made an obnoxious comment about it. Now she says, "Oh, do you mean TENNIS SHOES?" That really annoys me. I ask her, "Why? Are you using them to play tennis?" The answer to THAT is a big "NO" but she doesn't care. That term is so DUMB unless you are actually wearing shoes in which to play TENNIS. :sheesh: :p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
RG Jr. has decided that she's too Californian to say the word "sneakers"--a word she's used her entire life.:sheesh: :p

Tennis shoes is what we call them here in the bowels of Appalachia.....of course on the rare occasions that shoes are worn:D :D :D That would be weddings, funerals (except for the corpse) and CEO's of coal companies.:laugh:

Last edited:

amazonprincess

Rinkside
Allright.. my pet peeve. (now this is incredibly biased to my current living situation... but oh well)

People who simply refuse to think of how their actions/words affect others. That and people who like to push my buttons because I "react funny."

I hate them.

That is all.

Oh wait, there's more, people (namely my ex) who say "teh" instead of "the" ON PURPOSE.. it sounds... like you can't speak English, and when I know you can, and you act like you can't anyways... arg! It's annoying.

I'll stop now..
I promise! *^_^*

-Amazon Princess
(Spawn O' Ravyn Rant)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, here's another one out of "left field".....it's the term "Best Friend". Now I can handle, "Good Friend", "Old Friend", "Long-time Friend", "Oldest Friend", but the term "Best" makes me think that the other friends involved don't measue up. I have a "Long Time Friend" of nearly 30 years who still referes to her high school chum as her "Best Friend", even though she sees her once a year.....I see her daily, as we work at the same school. She's my golfing buddy, movie buddy, shopping buddy, our kids grew up together.......am I too sensitive? 42

GoldenLady

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Okay, here's another one out of "left field".....it's the term "Best Friend". Now I can handle, "Good Friend", "Old Friend", "Long-time Friend", "Oldest Friend", but the term "Best" makes me think that the other friends involved don't measue up. I have a "Long Time Friend" of nearly 30 years who still referes to her high school chum as her "Best Friend", even though she sees her once a year.....I see her daily, as we work at the same school. She's my golfing buddy, movie buddy, shopping buddy, our kids grew up together.......am I too sensitive? 42

Show 42, if you're too sensitive, I am too, because I agree wholeheartedly. That expression has bothered me for a long time, for the same reason you described. Glad to see I'm not the only one.