Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Aaaaaand the week of stress arrived :laugh:
Laying low really made me nervous. And curious. And hopeful. And a bit discouraged (not by lack of info/competitions, but how others scored so far during challengers).
But I'm here at square one again, crossing fingers and anticipating what will hit me over the weekend (plus waiting for costumes to drop because...gifts will be crafted with them in mind ;)).
I kinda have no specific expectations of how programs will look. I just hope they won't be hammered too badly by tech panel :laugh:, but we will see what's in store.
Look who was the worried fool :laugh:
Dare I saw I've never seen them this...invigorated? So focused, yet so relaxed and confident into what they are putting on the ice? I am glass empty pessimist type of person, but...the way things looked, even taking into account inflated scoring due to home turf, they have my utmost attention.

In a way, paradoxically, being a bit hidden and laying low, taking that longer break did them a favour in my opinion. They really came guns blazing with this new material over the weekend and certain outlets and usual haters haven't had time to prepare lol. And the cherry on the top was one-two punch of the quality of their material AND the quality they were able to skate/perform it, even at the debut. I still can't believe it went SO WELL :laugh:

I already re-watched RD probably 5 times. And it spins in my head like a violet ribbon. I was pretty surprised seeing their get-ups during morning practice (though I didn't complain as both looked great!) and the program because it sort of felt quite differently from their usual quirky RDs. But boy, how effectively this program works. Yeah, I saw comments on this being 'the least Latin RD', 'too much' etc., but as I repeat every season: I wish PSquared 24/7 critics would apply their precious, strict criteria to ALL TEAMS EQUALLY. Because I'm seeing weird double standards: your hated team got lowballed - it's their fault, your favourite team got lowballed - it's judges fault. Some people should really get at peace with their own hypocrisy before giving judgement, just saying.

The FD is such a promise. A poignant one. Really can't wait for Espoo. And for witnessing it in person.

Plus BIG shoutout to the quality of their packaging - costuming and music edit are always a standard of commitment for me.

rain

Record Breaker
Plus BIG shoutout to the quality of their packaging - costuming and music edit are always a standard of commitment for me.
Their packaging is A+ this year. All of the costumes, the music is sophisticated and beautiful. Last year the RD costumes were a tacky distraction from their skill. Much better choices this time around, while keeping it fun with Paul's sleeveless top.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Their packaging is A+ this year. All of the costumes, the music is sophisticated and beautiful. Last year the RD costumes were a tacky distraction from their skill. Much better choices this time around, while keeping it fun with Paul's sleeveless top.
Actually, I was initially pretty on the fence about that top :laugh:, but purely from potential judging standpoint (ie. if it will be seen as tacky, low taste and bringing whole performance down). I'm all for the showcasing of toned, defined arms, by all of skaters and in this case the top indeed adds some fun and sense of 'youthfulness' for me. It's different out there, in the land of deep Vs;)

rain

Record Breaker
I feel like Piper and Paul could use a little love here. A lot of people seem to be counting them out and I still think they have an excellent shot at a stellar worlds. They still have the two best programs of the season and lots of time to continue getting back into top form. They are veteran competitors, and I don't see the judges forgetting about them because of one missed international this season. Sure, the obvious political push for Chock/Bates is a bit worrying, but I have to at least have hope that quality will win out in the end.

So I'm looking forward to seeing the best rhythm dance of the season and the best free dance of the season at worlds — performed by Gilles and Poirier.

slider11

Medalist
Agreed! I like that Piper and Paul are focusing on recovery and have their sites set on Worlds. Maybe the USFSA is pushing Chock/Bates for World gold to get them to retire and make space for some of the new teams before the next Olympics. But my bet is on Piper and Paul. They have provided the most innovative and engaging performances!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Their programs are top notch this year and if they perform them like they have all season I believe they will be World Champions. This is coming from a C/B fan but at the end of the day I am a fan of ID and this season I am team Piper and Paul for the win as they are just that good.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Huge congratulations to Piper on getting married! :hb::cheer:
What gets me is that she got married in March last year and never spoke about it. Not even her team mate Nadya Bashynska knew it and the Scarboro team does a lot of stuff together, most recently the GP Finals. I wonder why that is. :scratch2:

But anyway, wishing Piper and Nathan a wonderful healthy and happy life 💘 What a lovely couple 😍

Last edited: