Poor Music Choices | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Poor Music Choices

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
No. Life is Beautiful was a lovely selection that was a great choice for them. This was after that.

Last of the Mohicans?

What I hate is when skaters build something into their music that wasn't there in the original score. A/P's HEARTBEAT in R/J...ick.

Or Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze's harp glissandos in Meditation. NO!

Oh wait--back to poor music choices--that horrible I Will Survive by Hermes Houseband that Babs and Mauri used at the 2002 Olympics. At the end, when it's just the la-la-la-la-la...it sounds like they're at a bar, and a bunch of drunks decided to join in on the karaoke!

anya_angie

Final Flight
Jerry Goldsmith is a MAGNIFICENT composer, all his works are excellent, but I have only seen 2 skaters that have EVER done him justice, and that would be Todd Eldredge (First Knight) and Shen & Zhao (Mulan). I can't begin to coung how many bad others we've seen. But that's the choreographer's fault I think and the music cutter. He is very hard to skate to.

sk8m8

Final Flight
You know y'all have some that you can recall!

Marina Kielmann (1993 FS) - Mexican Hat Dance/La Cucaracha :rofl:
Tonya Harding (1992 FS) - A friend of mine said the music sounded like music you'd hear on an X-rated movieANY Skater (any year) - Tosca...too depressing! I feel like I need to see a counselor after watching ANY Tosca performance
Maria Butyrskaya (2002 FS) - I don't remember the title, but it was so dissonant...

This tasty track is none other than the great Gato Barbieri. It's called "Europa"

He's a terrific musician. He's from Argentina and uses great mixes of latin flavor with jazz licks. Try one of his CDs, you won't be sorry.

I've always thought that particular music was "smoky" and would be a great free or open dance number, but ALWAYS horizontally!

Last edited:

rjulie510

Rinkside
African Bach FD by Denkova/Staviyski. They are excellent dancers but that music was unforgivable. Combined with equally awful choreography and costumes, they looked like they were possessed.

Much as I adore Ms. Meissner, her LP music this year puts me to sleep.

I'm prepared to be alone on this one, though. The popular opinion seems to be that it's "sophisticated." :chorus:

gio

Medalist
I think it depends on what fits the skater. The music Alban Preaubert uses is great for him but I don't see anyone else pulling it off. I can't imagine Brian Joubert skating to "The Swan" or Johnny Weir skating some samba music. Those would have been very bad choices.

I completely agree!

IMO, Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo are so similiar in style. But Rudy Galindo's samba really :rock: , Johnny Weir's samba :disagree: !!!

dutchherder

Final Flight
How about the Sandhu program where the music was mostly just noises? I don't know what it's called, but I believe he called the program "a work of art". It ended up both looking AND sounding like a train wreck.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved when Dubreuil & Lauzon skated to music from "Life is Beautiful" (a lovely soundtrack IMHO). That was the program that made me initially take notice of them.

I love & have the soundtrack to "1492" (haven't seen the movie which I understand really got panned?), but I hated the "techno-pop" :no: :frown: parts in Brian Joubert's program (and I generally really enjoy his skating). I don't remember the techno-pop parts in the soundtrack. Those must have been added (?).I must go back to it and check it for sure.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Was it Sergei Davydov one year using (i think) Bolero as an SP that every now and again played the little riff of "you really got me"...oh my god was that bad!

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Most of the music used by skaters, in my opinion, has been around the rink SO
many times, it's hard not associate all kind of things with them.

Thanks for coming "out of hiding" (join and post date):agree: Post more and Welcome!

That is a good point that there is music that often gets associated with something like a commercial even though it was used prior. But the thing is, that is the first thing I thought of regardless. Much like the United commercials a while back. It just went into music that sounded like a commercial whether it should or not, so I didn't like it. But again, I thought the routine was great!

Whoever posted that about MK and Bolero, great point about it seeming to limit her in a way. Never thought about it but that was an excellent point.:agree: Just proves to me how great skaters like her and Fumie really are. IMO

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Speaking of commercials, whenever I see Johnny's SP, (the same music used as Shen and Zhao a few years ago as an SP, and Jenna Anne Buys' LP three years back), I think of the De Beers diamond commercials. I can't disassociate something that that piece of music has been tied to for many many many years.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The Madonna elevator music was the worst music choice I ever heard, that I can remember anyway.
I didn't like Michelle Kwan's Wings of Gold exhibition music either, it got overdone.

I didn't like Michelle Kwan's Wings of Gold exhibition music either, it got overdone.
Fields of Gold, the Sting song covered by Eva Cassidy. Michelle loved this music, saying it "made her feel free." She did skate to it a lot, including the COI tour in 2002. Michelle is credited with bringing a whole new audience to the work of this singer, whose brief but memorable career was cut short by cancer in 1996.

Michelle's performances were especially treasured by Eva Cassidy's parents, for keeping the memory of their daughter alive.

Here is a picture (scroll down) of Michelle receiving a gold record award from the recording company, along with the singer's mom and dad.

http://evacassidy.org/eva/fog.htm