Pre-Novice and Novice Canada Challenge | Golden Skate

Pre-Novice and Novice Canada Challenge

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Two champions crowned today, Novice Men and pre-move women, both from TLSS (Toronto Lakeshore Skating School), the same camp and coaching team of Hetty Shi and Lulu Lin.
That camp is really impressing me….
I can’t wait to watch our Novice Girls (lots of talent in that division)

Linzylou14

Rinkside
Just watched novice women short, and Lia Cho is in first with a score of 54.70, which is pretty good. She performed a clean 3Lz + 3T which is amazing for an 11 year old. Cant wait to watch the free programs tomorrow!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just watched novice women short, and Lia Cho is in first with a score of 54.70, which is pretty good. She performed a clean 3Lz + 3T which is amazing for an 11 year old. Cant wait to watch the free programs tomorrow!
Yup. Last time she performed her combo as her second jumping element and it was a 3Lz 3T< (fall) and a 3Lz 3T<. Her team was smart to move the combo as the first jumping element. Cause now she fully rotates 3Lz 3T. She also did a 3F! and a 2A. So proud of her!

Linzylou14

Rinkside
Yes! Definitely a smart decision. She is a very young and talented skater, I wish her luck in the free program tomorrow!

yyzskater

On the Ice
She is delightful to watch. Definitely my favourite of all the PreNovice/Novice babies.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Novice Women Results
1) Lia Cho 153.81 (Canadian Record)
Rare fall for her on 2T of the 3F 2T. I was nervous that this would throw her off. But, she skated the rest of the program as usual. She needs to work on the 2A 3T. She executes this combo so well in practice and landed one beautifully during warm up. But, she never can land this jump during competition. Also, the 3Lo is her weakest triple jump and this was her worst attempt. Still, good result considering she is only 11 years old.
2) Sandrine Blais 145.48
I’m not sure why she is competing in Novice when she could be contending in Juniors. She is 14 years old. Like Lia, she landed an amazing 2A 3T during the warm up. But, couldn’t execute during the competition. She has an amazing 3T, 3S, 3Lo and she now has added a 3Lz to her repertoire. She just needs the 3F. Also, she left out a jump as she only went for three two jump combos.
3) Ksenia K 144.46
To me, she has the best skating skills of the three. She won the free skate. She landed two 3S, one 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz. Also, she only repeats one triple, the 3S. She is only missing a 3T to her repertoire. She is 12 years old. I’m not sure if she is eligible to the Junior Circuit next year.

I hope these three girls are added to NextGen. They are talented and it should be an exciting Nationals competition between these three for the medals, at the end of FEB.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow Lia! Great job. Will she be Canada's first triple A in competition? .
I don't know... I know Sara-Maude lands it in training. I think Fée Ann is able to do it too... Both have huge 2axels but are already grown up.
So what is our wish? A young girl doing it or a grown up ? Like Amber for instance... Or does it matter.. we just need one woman doing it and show the others it's possible and not something only other nations can do ?

Reverie

On the Ice
I don't know... I know Sara-Maude lands it in training. I think Fée Ann is able to do it too... Both have huge 2axels but are already grown up.
So what is our wish? A young girl doing it or a grown up ? Like Amber for instance... Or does it matter.. we just need one woman doing it and show the others it's possible and not something only other nations can do ?
In watching the Japanese ladies, it looks like when the skater has the jumping talent the 3A is taught relatively early. So much of figure skating at this level relies on muscle memory, IMO; so that hopefully auto pilot goes on when it's needed.

Linzylou14

Rinkside
Lia ended up getting a combined score of 153.81, which is far from her personal best (166.22). She didn't skate perfect but it was enough to break the canadian record and take home gold. Cant wait to watch the Novice Nationals in 2 weeks.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In watching the Japanese ladies, it looks like when the skater has the jumping talent the 3A is taught relatively early. So much of figure skating at this level relies on muscle memory, IMO; so that hopefully auto pilot goes on when it's needed.
yup... but then, when they grow up, do they keep that jump?
I think both Sara-Maude and Fée Ann are late bloomers. Sara was an ice dancer and Fée Ann just started to manage her power.
Since they are relatively young, I would give them a year or so to see if that's in the plans or not ;)

But definitely... I agree... the big jumps will come from the novice and pre-novice skaters. Canada is finally catching up on the 3-3. It will now be the next thing to teach at the younger age...

Reverie

On the Ice
Novice Women Results
1) Lia Cho 153.81 (Canadian Record)
Rare fall for her on 2T of the 3F 2T. I was nervous that this would throw her off. But, she skated the rest of the program as usual. She needs to work on the 2A 3T. She executes this combo so well in practice and landed one beautifully during warm up. But, she never can land this jump during competition. Also, the 3Lo is her weakest triple jump and this was her worst attempt. Still, good result considering she is only 11 years old.
2) Sandrine Blais 145.48
I’m not sure why she is competing in Novice when she could be contending in Juniors. She is 14 years old. Like Lia, she landed an amazing 2A 3T during the warm up. But, couldn’t execute during the competition. She has an amazing 3T, 3S, 3Lo and she now has added a 3Lz to her repertoire. She just needs the 3F. Also, she left out a jump as she only went for three two jump combos.
3) Ksenia K 144.46
To me, she has the best skating skills of the three. She won the free skate. She landed two 3S, one 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz. Also, she only repeats one triple, the 3S. She is only missing a 3T to her repertoire. She is 12 years old. I’m not sure if she is eligible to the Junior Circuit next year.

I hope these three girls are added to NextGen. They are talented and it should be an exciting Nationals competition between these three for the medals, at the end of FEB.
It looks like you have to be able to compete on the Jr Grand Prix circuit to be on the Next Gen team....age 13?