Pre-Worlds Coverage on NPR | Golden Skate

Pre-Worlds Coverage on NPR

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I heard that interview on my car radio on my way to an appointment! It was quite surprising to hear figure skating on my FM dial. :biggrin:

Robin Young really tried to ask some good questions -- like whether there was too much emphasis on the quad -- but Auxier sort of tiptoed around the question.

Also bothered that they didn't bother to mention that Ice Dance in the U.S. was quite successful. Ice Dance is really still chopped liver to most of the USFSA even post Meryl/Charlie OGM.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just curious: would this interview have been recorded in advance, and edited down?
Or would it have aired live?

Anyway, thx to jcoates for posting it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just curious: would this interview have been recorded in advance, and edited down?
Or would it have aired live?

Anyway, thx to jcoates for posting it.

Here and Now is the de-facto live afternoon news program after Talk of the Nation ended last year. It's produced by WBUR in Boston. I think there are a number of recorded segments, particularly news segments from sister public radio segments, though.

The show is aired live from 12 to 2 p.m. eastern time and then recorded to be aired later in other time zones. (My local pubic radio station airs it from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Pacific Time).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here and Now is the de-facto live afternoon news program after Talk of the Nation ended last year. It's produced by WBUR in Boston. I think there are a number of recorded segments, particularly news segments from sister public radio segments, though.

The show is aired live from 12 to 2 p.m. eastern time and then recorded to be aired later in other time zones. (My local pubic radio station airs it from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Pacific Time).

Oh, thank you, Mrs. P :).

I was just wondering whether some stuff got left on the proverbial cutting room floor b/c it was deemed less interesting .. or whether they ran out of time during a live segment to cover additional topics, such as ice dance.

I'm no expert on NPR, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it had an interview re USFS at all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, thank you, Mrs. P :).

I was just wondering whether some stuff got left on the proverbial cutting room floor b/c it was deemed less interesting .. or whether they ran out of time during a live segment to cover additional topics, such as ice dance.

I'm no expert on NPR, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it had an interview re USFS at all.

Sounded like a straight forward segment with no edits to me.

I thought the perfect place for Auxier was to mention it was when he was was rebuking Robin Young's take about USFS being in a down period. He made comments about lots of promising young skaters. It wouldn't have been hard to say, and oh yes, Ice Dance has continue to see success since Meryl and Charlie won OGM last year. In fact, the US ice dance teams look to medal here despite their absence, blah blah blah. He didn't respond to Young's observation about pair breakups either (i.e. perfect time to note Scimeca/Knerim's attempt at their own "quad.")

And yes, I was surprised there was an interview at all. Perhaps the folks at WBUR are just savvy given that Nationals was held there last year...and I guess Robin Young is fan (as she noted during the segment). WBUR also produces On Point, which had Jason Brown on its show last year.

Last edited: