Programs for Wagner next year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs for Wagner next year?

tulosai

Record Breaker
I personally really do not want to see either of these programs ever again and desperately hope she'll come up with new ones.

As for what I'd like to see her skate to, whatever moves her I suppose :) That seems to be working great so far.

lyndichee

Medalist
I think Hip Hip Chin Chin was given a proper send off at WC. After TCC I hope they get her new programs.

Ashley, give us something with the DRAMA of Moulin Rouge but more subtle.

To me, she should use music that doesn't have so much high-pitched shrieking in it. It is somewhat distracting to have to turn down the volume on my TV for the first half, then turn it back up for the second. :)

She could do a gorgeous Adele medley, but that might not be "fresh" in two years.

She could go with Adele's new album, "27." :yes:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I personally really do not want to see either of these programs ever again and desperately hope she'll come up with new ones.

As for what I'd like to see her skate to, whatever moves her I suppose :) That seems to be working great so far.

I agree, both programs were skated to their potential at Worlds, I don't think there's much she can do to freshen up Hip Hip Chin Chin like she could have with Moulin Rouge. New programs please Ashley, maybe a classical piece, Moulin Rouge was very literal so maybe something more subtle now?

brightphoton

Medalist
For the Olympic year (presumably her farewell), I'd love to see "Black Swan" reworked as the SP, as a homage to the program that was a breakthrough for her. I'm not sure what the "rules" are for re-using some of the iconic moves with a different choreographer ...

I would love for this to happen. I'm not sure of Ashley's relationship with Philip Mills. I think there was some bridge burning, but if they could reconcile, I think a Black Swan would be a wonderful SP for the Olympics.

And yes, Ashley is going to the 2018 Olympics! She impressed me with her music choices every year, I'm sure I'll love whatever she picks.

Perhaps she should pick something German since she was born in an army base in Germany?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I would love for this to happen. I'm not sure of Ashley's relationship with Philip Mills. I think there was some bridge burning, but if they could reconcile, I think a Black Swan would be a wonderful SP for the Olympics.

And yes, Ashley is going to the 2018 Olympics! She impressed me with her music choices every year, I'm sure I'll love whatever she picks.

Perhaps she should pick something German since she was born in an army base in Germany?

Then her homonym Richard Wagner comes to mind. Die Walküre.

desertskates

Medalist
I think a reworked Black Swan is an excellent idea for a short in the Olympic year! That program was a masterpiece and deserves another outing. It's too bad that Gracie did Firebird because I've long thought that piece would suit Ashley well.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She'd have to have the right version of this song but.......I think Ashley should skate to "What I Did For Love" From "A Chorus Line" The Broadway and Movie versions would not work but, there are several versions that are bit lighter on the group vocals that would work well for a Free Program. If Ashley decides to stay in the theatrical/ movie feel for her LP, than I think she should keep her current SP.

Free Program: How about the "The Way He Makes me Feel" From Yentl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbx_kW6tP0

Short Program: "To Sir With Love" by LuLu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVQ4vAmM7Y

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I can see Ashley skating to "Your Song", but I would think she's sick and tired of Moulin Rouge now. LOL.

I'd like to see Ashley skating to something classical and not theatrical for once. That would be interesting and probably something outside of her comfort zone. Chopin, Rach, Gabriel's Oboe, something else? Or maybe even Danse Macabre (although I know it's cliche)? It can show off Ashley's strong side.

I think someone previously suggested Sunset Boulevard? Viktoria Helgesson had some success and her first GP medal with this as a long back in 2011-12 and revived it during her farewell season in 14-15.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I can see Ashley skating to "Your Song", but I would think she's sick and tired of Moulin Rouge now. LOL.

I'd like to see Ashley skating to something classical and not theatrical for once. That would be interesting and probably something outside of her comfort zone. Chopin, Rach, Gabriel's Oboe, something else? Or maybe even Danse Macabre (although I know it's cliche)? It can show off Ashley's strong side.

She skated to this version of it as an exhibition.

daphna

On the Ice
Bolero could be awsome for Ashley, but I doubt she'll use it. Black swan was a wonderful number, could be awsome as a short program!
How about a "Chicago" program for Ashley? could be a great fit.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I want someone to skate to "Across the Stars" from star wars, it is such a dramatic piece that I think with the right cuts (also including cuts from "Love Pledge" on the same soundtrack) it would be a powerful program. Ashley could do it justice.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She'd have to have the right version of this song but.......I think Ashley should skate to "What I Did For Love" From "A Chorus Line" The Broadway and Movie versions would not work but, there are several versions that are bit lighter on the group vocals that would work well for a Free Program. If Ashley decides to stay in the theatrical/ movie feel for her LP, than I think she should keep her current SP.

Free Program: How about the "The Way He Makes me Feel" From Yentl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbbx_kW6tP0

Short Program: "To Sir With Love" by LuLu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVQ4vAmM7Y

Yes! I absolutely love "To Sir With Love" by LuLu. It is also one of my favorite movies too of all time!

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I think Ashley's sass should be complimented with some hard rock, a tango or anything with a strong powerful tune, something along the lines of...
Master of Puppets (David Garrett cover)
Nothing Else Matters (Apocalyptica cover)
Halo Theme
Jalousie Tango
Tango by Zbigniew Preisner
Summer in Buenos Aires (Gidon Kremer cover)
And although I adore Bolero (as in Closing Credits from...well, Moulin Rouge!), I doubt she'd skate to that again.
Malagueña by Brian Setzer
West with the Night by Bond
Los vestidos desgarrados & Una patada en los huevos by Alberto Iglesias back to back
Death is the Road to Awe by Clint Mansell
2046 Theme & Polonaise by Shigeru Umebayashi
And if she MUST do a James Bond song, You Know My Name by Chris Cornell sounds just fine.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I don't know if I would keep Hip Hip Chin Chin for another season, unless they changed the choreography like they did for Moulin Rouge this year. But I do think they should plan to keep one program from next season for the Olympic year, so that they could spend an extra summer refining it and focusing more on strengthening her elements.

Since Broadway is being discussed, I'd love for someone to do something from Hamilton. Go Fug Yourself (an awesome fashion blog) covered costumes from Worlds and someone in the comments suggested Burn for Ashley. I also think Still Hurting from The Last Five Years could be great.

Oooh! Or, she could do Wait For It (also from Hamilton). A guy sings it, but who cares? I could see Ashley relating to it.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wonder if Ashley would consider skating her SP to "Move" from Dreamgirls. I actually suggested that Mae Bernice from France use Dreamgirls for a Free Program but, she didn't listen to me. Anyway, here's "Move" from the Movie featuring Jennifer Hudson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSR5hlvrDOY