Question about IceNetwork.com | Golden Skate

Question about IceNetwork.com

Manitou

Medalist
I didn't know it existed. What is it? I mean the Season Pass? I looked at their page and there is bunch of marketing and pricing, but no description what it really is.
Is it a streaming over internet service? Is it HD? I looked up for an iPad app, but there is no app. If there is no app then how to watch it on TV?
Any practical information?
Thanks

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't subscribe to it if you don't have HIGH speed internet. It buffers and drives you crazy. You can join from the USFSA website and watch it on your computer or whatever. The Season Pass takes you through most all of the competitions. Nationals this year will be 'live' - all competitions. Dont' know about Canadian Nationals or others. I haven't subscribed to it for years because of the internet speed issue. Others really like it, however.

Manitou

Medalist
Don't subscribe to it if you don't have HIGH speed internet. It buffers and drives you crazy. You can join from the USFSA website and watch it on your computer or whatever. The Season Pass takes you through most all of the competitions. Nationals this year will be 'live' - all competitions. Dont' know about Canadian Nationals or others. I haven't subscribed to it for years because of the internet speed issue. Others really like it, however.

I do have high speed internet and I am using it for TV broadcasting already. I am just asking what IceNetwork provides. What do you mean by "competitions"? I understand you mean live streaming on the computer, correct?
Other questions:
- Is it live only? Meaning if you miss it can you replay the entire event later?
- Can it run as an app on iPad/tablet so that you can stream it on the TV?
- Is it HD quality?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I do have high speed internet and I am using it for TV broadcasting already. I am just asking what IceNetwork provides. What do you mean by "competitions"? I understand you mean live streaming on the computer, correct?
Other questions:
- Is it live only? Meaning if you miss it can you replay the entire event later?
- Can it run as an app on iPad/tablet so that you can stream it on the TV?
- Is it HD quality?

IceNetwork airs events in the form of live-streams, and will archive them hours/days later for on-demand viewing. For example, you can load up on-demand Worlds 2014 in its entirety (good luck finding the videos though, the organization and search function is horrible).

IceNetwork is not mobile-friendly. I've never tried loading videos on my iPad, but I can try when I get home and let you know how it works.

There are ways to stream to your TV, but none of them are easy or convenient.

"Is it HD quality?"

Depends on your definition of HD quality. For a livestream, it looks good. On-demand videos are the same quality as the livestream. There are better quality sources of these events to be found elsewhere.

Manitou

Medalist
Depends on your definition of HD quality. For a livestream, it looks good. On-demand videos are the same quality as the livestream. There are better quality sources of these events to be found elsewhere.

By HD I mean 1080. At least in theory..
So it's similar to Universal Sports, I understand...

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If you are not in the US, you should be aware that much content is geo-blocked.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
I use the Puffin browser to watch on my iPad. Yes, you can view competitions later.

I didn't know it existed. What is it? I mean the Season Pass? I looked at their page and there is bunch of marketing and pricing, but no description what it really is.
Is it a streaming over internet service? Is it HD? I looked up for an iPad app, but there is no app. If there is no app then how to watch it on TV?
Any practical information?
Thanks

Manitou

Medalist
I use the Puffin browser to watch on my iPad. Yes, you can view competitions later.

That's good, because then you can stream iPad to AppleTV to watch the event on a TV sitting on a couch with a glass of wine, rather than sitting at the computer desk... :)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
By HD I mean 1080. At least in theory..
So it's similar to Universal Sports, I understand...

Not even close to 1080p. I wouldn't even say it's really 720p.

Also, they are not live-streaming all U.S. Nationals this year. IceNetwork will have black-out restrictions in effect for all the major events (free skates from Senior Ladies/Men/ID/Pairs). You will need to rely on another source for live coverage of these events.

Manitou

Medalist
Not even close to 1080p. I wouldn't even say it's really 720p.

Also, they are not live-streaming all U.S. Nationals this year. IceNetwork will have black-out restrictions in effect for all the major events (free skates from Senior Ladies/Men/ID/Pairs). You will need to rely on another source for live coverage of these events.

OK, so in that case it's a complete waste...

DexterK

On the Ice
I purchased the Ice Network Season Pass this season. Overall, I am satisfied with the coverage so far. For the first time I was able to watch all of the GP events, without having to search/wait for videos to be uploaded on YouTube. Depending on how coverage for the second half of the season goes, I may subscribe next season. What I do not like about Ice Network is that in my experience if I don't watch the live stream of a segment, say like the Rostelecom this year as I was in class teaching, that I couldn't watch it as soon as I got home because it was not yet available to watch on demand. Sure, I just had to wait a few hours and then I could watch it then, but it wasn't the experience I was expecting. Also, it is not the most user friendly website. It's not terrible, but navigating it isn't as intuitive as you might expect.

Manitou

Medalist
I purchased the Ice Network Season Pass this season. Overall, I am satisfied with the coverage so far. For the first time I was able to watch all of the GP events, without having to search/wait for videos to be uploaded on YouTube. Depending on how coverage for the second half of the season goes, I may subscribe next season. What I do not like about Ice Network is that in my experience if I don't watch the live stream of a segment, say like the Rostelecom this year as I was in class teaching, that I couldn't watch it as soon as I got home because it was not yet available to watch on demand. Sure, I just had to wait a few hours and then I could watch it then, but it wasn't the experience I was expecting. Also, it is not the most user friendly website. It's not terrible, but navigating it isn't as intuitive as you might expect.

What is the technical quality?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Straight from the IceNetwork website regarding Nationals:

"The 2015 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships will take place Jan. 17-25 in Greensboro, North Carolina. Icenetwork will provide live coverage of the competition for Season Pass subscribers.

Viewer's note: Those senior groups not shown live on icenetwork on Saturday, Jan. 24, and Sunday, Jan. 25, will be televised live on NBC. (Click here for a broadcast schedule.) Video of the portions aired on NBC will be available on-demand ONLY starting Tuesday, Jan. 27, at noon ET.

The Smucker's Skating Spectacular will be available on-demand ONLY starting Tuesday, Feb. 3, at noon ET.
"

So, free skates of the Senior programs will not be available on IceNetwork for about 3 days after the event concludes.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The NBC portions can be watched live using the Telecast app or similar tv app for ipad.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
The NBC portions can be watched live using the Telecast app or similar tv app for ipad.

Do you need a cable subscription or some type of paid log-in account? Is it geo-blocked?

At this point in this season, I'd probably save the $50 and wait until summer, that way you'll get a full year of access for that $50 and access to the entire season's live-streams. But, I'm not against anyone helping fund IceNetwork...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
IceNetwork, IMO, is great value for money (once non-US people wrangle with hola. I mean, what? I didn't say anything.)

I've watched more Grand Prix skating this year than I ever have before thanks to IN, and will get to see more of Euros, 4CCs and Worlds than I ever have before. Sure, I get the occasional buffering issue, but mostly it's visible, and I love that the events are on-demand afterwards to go back and watch again.

Sure, they don't show the last groups at Nationals live. But let's be honest here:

Which option is better for figure skating in the US? The last groups being live on IceNetwork behind a paywall subscription to a small viewership of die-hard fans, or the last groups being shown live on NBC in prime time so that they can catch casual viewers as well?

And really, when you think about it, what you get for that $50 is really quite incredible. GPs live. JGPF/GPF live. Sectionals/Regionals. ALL LEVELS of US Nationals live (except for the abovementioned NBC broadcasts). Euros live. 4CCs live. Worlds live. Junior Worlds live. AND all of these comps are then stored on-demand for you to go back and view whenever you wish. The value is awesome.

Manitou

Medalist
IceNetwork, IMO, is great value for money (once non-US people wrangle with hola. I mean, what? I didn't say anything.)

I've watched more Grand Prix skating this year than I ever have before thanks to IN, and will get to see more of Euros, 4CCs and Worlds than I ever have before. Sure, I get the occasional buffering issue, but mostly it's visible, and I love that the events are on-demand afterwards to go back and watch again.

Sure, they don't show the last groups at Nationals live. But let's be honest here:

Which option is better for figure skating in the US? The last groups being live on IceNetwork behind a paywall subscription to a small viewership of die-hard fans, or the last groups being shown live on NBC in prime time so that they can catch casual viewers as well?

And really, when you think about it, what you get for that $50 is really quite incredible. GPs live. JGPF/GPF live. Sectionals/Regionals. ALL LEVELS of US Nationals live (except for the abovementioned NBC broadcasts). Euros live. 4CCs live. Worlds live. Junior Worlds live. AND all of these comps are then stored on-demand for you to go back and view whenever you wish. The value is awesome.

But again: what is the image quality? It was said it's not even 720p. That way it will look terrible on HD TV. Is it true?
Plus: does it have the zombie commentary, as it was on Russians Nationals?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For most events, it has no commentary at all. For US nationals seniors, there is usually commentary and it is decently synched. If Tanith does dance, her commentary will be of decent quality. For the other 3 disciplines, we'll have to see.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
But again: what is the image quality? It was said it's not even 720p. That way it will look terrible on HD TV. Is it true?
Plus: does it have the zombie commentary, as it was on Russians Nationals?

Depends on what you consider "zombie commentary"?! :unsure:

This is an example of video captured from IceNetwork (IDK the details as this video is NOT MINE). Michael Weiss is doing commentary, and I for one actually like his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgbSrXmZV3I

Last edited: